Lord Branson? shurley shome mishtake......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by silverfox, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Northern Rock

Now that he appears to have gone some way in bailing little darling out, does anyone want to bet against his eventual elevation?????

2. Honours for cash? I've never heard anything so preposterous... Anyone know the going rate for an OBE?

3. Well for whats it's worth I would prefer three crates of Newcastle Brown

4. He might be not such a daft choice and for some commendable reasons. Unfortunately, it probably would be tainted with the cash for honours slime.

5. [quote="silverfox]

Now that he appears to have gone some way in bailing little darling out, does anyone want to bet against his eventual elevation?????[/quote]

RB's knighthood was very late IMO, so a peerage would be very appropriate, if only for the amount of tax he has paid to UK plc. I saw a very positive side to the Virgin brand very early on in its existence and have been an RB admirer ever since. He ploughs his own furrow and good luck to him.

6. Concur. A few of us wrote to him for a giggle during the build up to Gulf War I (Desert Stomp), suggesting that since the RN had been good enough to fish him out of the drink when his Balloon took him swimming, he might like to return the favour by flying a few planeloads of our nearest and dearest out to Dubai for Christmas. It was all very tongue in cheek, but he was good enough to write back in the same vein to explain why it wasn't possible. Okay, so he's probably got a team of people who do that sort of thing for him, but we still thought him a good egg for taking the trouble; especially since we addressed it to 'Richard Branson. A very tall building. Somewhere in London'

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against the self seeking bearded funster. After hosting a reception onboard for part of his organisation (for which they paid) they divvied up 2 first class transatlantic tickets for the deployment raffle. Which were won by the scrote going to DQs....isn't it always the same!

My point is that he would be unable to resist the lure of the ermine......

8. Fair play to him but it's worth remembering that he was born with a silver spoon in his grid and had all the right connections.

As for Northern Rock I could not care less who takes it over just as long as the taxpayers get their loan back with interest.

9. silverfox, do they still pick oakum in deeks ? Now that was a bundle of fun, I think not.

10. And of course you old fox would resist, and turn it down, my arse :pukel: :pukel: :thumright: :thumright:

11. And of course quite a valuable mortgage book for a knock down price...

He has a responsibility to his shareholders to develop the value of the group, not waste it. If he succeeds in that then as far as I'm concerned he probably deserves the recognition.

12. Exactly right. Northern Rock is also only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. It's no good the share holders bleating that it's under valued. If it's that cheap, buy more shares!

OK, I know it's not that simple.

Incidentally, I heard on the wireless tonight an explanation of this that was similar to the "just enough, just in time" principle but applied to Capital.