loosing motivation

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Chick, Mar 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I've been in the application process since august, iv finally got my re med coming up in a couple of weeks, but I'm loosing motivation on my fitness. I shouldn't blame everything else I've got going on, but I am, because between how long this is going on for, sitting exams every fortnight, my sport and my family I've just burnt myself out physically and mentally. Ive given my body a recovery period but now im struggling to get going again and was wondering if any one has any suggestions for motivating me back to it..

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do you want to join the RN?

3. Stand in front of a mirror and give yourself a damn good talking to, if that doesn't work try self flagellation.

4. Fitness is not just a thing you need for joining the RN, it's an ongoing part of a military lifestyle. (He said whilst chortling quietly)

How are you ever going to keep up with all the drinking you'll be expected to do if you're unfit?

5. Chick, I can empathise with you. It's taken me roughly just under a year to not only lose all the weight that comes from University binging in all shapes and forms, but complete the various stages of the process. Having begun this journey in May of 2013, I have now only just completed my Security Clearance. I've been told the waiting list can be anything from 6 months to 18 months and maybe even more, and you only get the entry date after you're granted security clearance which is another 1-2 months +.
    If you're 100% sure that this is what you want to do then you won't give up. Regardless of how apathetic you feel at times or how unmotivated you are to train on a given day, ultimately you'll man up and go for that run! I'm not going to give any motivational speeches, but if you want it bad enough you'll grab it by the balls and not let go until you're passing out Phase 1.

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The only person that can motivate you is you.

You can either stop feeling sorry for yourself and get back on it or not bother. The choice is yours.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So, what you're saying is that during the six months since you started the application you've eaten lots of pies and are now unfit?

Not so long back Aircraft Handlers were waiting 8 times longer than this to join - relatively few turned into Mr Creosote.

8. It is all in the mind, if you overcome this you will be a stronger person than before. Nothing is easy in life and if you think about it all the fitness and mental strength you have been building will make the initial training a doddle!

9. How did your motivation come loose anyway? Was it not fixed on properly the first time??

• Like Like x 2
  10. Whatever, applied March 2012 and not going in for ages, shove your six months up your arse. And go for a run and stop eating crap.

• Like Like x 4
  11. I have only applied 2 months ago, it only just fits. do you have any advice?

12. Applied Jan 2010 and don't start until march 2015.
    Pick yourself up princess and do your utmost to ensure you're prepared for everything.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

14. Communications technician.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

15. I cant believe a couple of months ago i was complaining about having to wait a few months.

I applied in july last year now i have a start date i no longer care about it once im in i will hopefull have 22 years of working in the career i want to do.

To the original poster think of it this way, if you dont feel like training, is this the career for you? there are jobs out there but they wont pay as well and they wont give you the life that the military equivalent will. All they ask from you is you have the patients and the mental attitude to keep fit and keep on going. They will be asking alot more from you once your in the mob and thats why people are so proud to be a part of it. They earnt it.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

16. Soz mate....

17. How old are you? a career went to 18 years or 40 whichever is the latter about 7 years ago.

18. She shouts she huffs and puffs and scores the goal lol. My daughter did shit jobs for 3 years before she got in . Suck it up!

19. Im all good- in a great job at the moment actually, the RN gets less appealing every day. Just don't see how someone losing motivation over just a few months is possible.

20. Corrected 21 years and 19

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)