Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to join, have a few questions

Envee

Hi. I'm considering joining and have a few questions about life in the Navy and progression.

1) I have both GCSE's and A Levels, will this be of any benefit to me and help me to advance at all?

2) What is life generally like on board? Accommodation wise, what is shared and what do you get for yourself?

3) Are there any fitness/ gym facilities on board, if so, are they any good?

4) What would you say are some pros and cons?

5) How well does the Navy prepare you for civvy street in terms of careers?

6) Food any good?

7) Do you feel you made the right choice joining the Navy as opposed to the RAF/ Army?

Thanks

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi, lots of questions, some of which I am not qualified to answer, some of which I am so here goes:
1) If you wish to apply as an officer then having GCSEs and A levels are the way to go, also, with promotions etc it may help. If you are going down the ratings pathway, the qualifications are not too important but if you have them it is a bonus :).

2) That is quite an open question! It all depends on who you are. Life on board is what you make of it. It depends on who you're with, which branch you've chosen, commissioned or non commissioned. Wardroom life is of course ostensibly different to life down the mess, where you could be sharing with as few as 5(on t45) or as many as 35! (Carriers). As an officer you could be sharing with one other, 5 others or (when you become more senior) have your own cabin :).
3) Again, gym facilities depend on the ship. There are usually some weights and treadmills. The PTIs on board often run circuits and other keep fit classes (sometimes....).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photface

Lantern Swinger
4) pros: great experiences, great opportunities to make friends, great opportunities for personal development through sports, adventurous training (skiing etc) and education. Also, the pension!
Cons: obviously the life is not for everyone. Long deployments and not seeing friends and family for very variable amounts of time. When I say variable I mean that often plans may change at a moments notice and you have to be adaptable and overcome homesickness etc. it just isn't for everyone. That's the reason for the long recruitment process and the training though. You're only going to know it is for you once you go and talk to your AFCO and maybe even when you start training.
5) depends on which branch you choose. Logistics and engineering are, in my opinion, the best ones for transferable skills.
6) As an ex chef, I might be biased, but I think the food on board was really nice :) it's essentially a rotating 7-10 week menu with fixed meals on fixed days I.e. Friday lunchtime is fish and chips.
7) I definitely feel I made and am making the right decision joining the navy, however, you have to ask yourself what YOU want out of a career, maybe make a list of what you want to get out of a military career and then all of the pros and cons of each (army, navy, RAF). A lot of these questions are based on the opinions of others, therefore what suits me may clearly not suit you. Hope this helps!

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl is looking for out-of-this-world space scientists to join its programme MoD News 0
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Deckhamlad Ex Bootneck looking to join the RFA RFA 2
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Ex Naval Communicator looking to join RFA RFA 10
noelweller Looking to join, but leaving the police... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S 33yr old looking to join as a CIS SM Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
N I am looking to join the navy as a submariner Submariners 12
T Looking to join RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
R looking to join RFA 0
V Ex RN Helo controller looking to join RFA 9
T Eighteen and looking to join the navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
W Looking to re-join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
T New to site and looking to join the navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Looking to join RNR (thinking about i-n-t-e-l-l-i-g-e-n-c-e) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
T Looking to join navy - Marine Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Looking ahead to National Inclusion Week MoD News 0
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Healthcare for planets and humans: why looking after nature is good for mind, body, and the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
S 34 & looking at Hydrography and Meteorology recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
C Looking for info on ATC The Fleet Air Arm 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
huwshpis Looking for a boat Travel & The Great Outdoors 31
MoD_RSS News story: Funding boost for councils looking after asylum seeking children MoD News 0
Lily jade Looking for Kevin Wakelin/Wakeling Nearest & Dearest 9
Sumo Looking for info on WWII Pongo History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: Grants available for SMEs looking to export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Looking to the new year for progress to peace in Afghanistan MoD News 0
S Looking for archived Navy record Submariners 2
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
dapperdunn “The **** you looking at shitlips”. The Gash Barge 42
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
A Looking for Aged Veterans Current Affairs 12
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
Simon - Quest Magazine Looking for engineers at all levels (Leading Hands, POs & CPOs) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Looking ahead to the London Somalia Conference 2017 MoD News 0