Looking to join but need some help/info

Hi

So I'm looking to join the RNR in the new year, I should of joined as a regular but now I have a family etc not ideal.

I've read through a lot of posts on here and I just would like some help.

I work as a sales executive and as such work a rolling rota of every other weekend off

My issue isn't attending week night trianingn which is understand is minimum 12 nights-I may be wrong

My issue will be juggling work family etc and commiting to the weekends

What are the guidelines on not being able to meet the minimum training?

Also can you claim fuel expenses to your unit? My local unit is approximately 30 miles away and wondered about travel expenses

Sorry for the massive post and any help would be massively appreciated

Kind Regards

Yes, they'll pay your fuel to and from the unit.

It's not 12 nights, it's 12 days with each drill night being a quarter day. This is the bare minimum to get bounty, it's at the CO's discretion and usually they require you to complete x amount of training in a given year for the bounty. If your unit knows your circumstances they might change your requirement accordingly.

Outwith the drill nights you'll need to complete 2 weekends away, a 1 week weapons course and a 2 week confirmation course at Raleigh to reach AB, you will get plenty of notice for these. Some can crack it in 6 months, others it takes years. (If you go officer there's some extra fiddly bits).

Kelvin is spot on:
You do get a milage rate from your PLACE OF WORK to the unit, and then unit to home (if you travel from work direct to unit) - though they don't pay the first few miles - I think its either 3 or 9.

In your first 18 months, when in "basic training" try to attend the training nights as often as possible, (plus you get paid for it), and it is 1/4 of a day's pay + travel.
Also, for weekend activities, you WILL have to attend one weekend at HMS RALEIGH, followed by the week (that's with weekends either side) for the weapon's course, and then 2 weeks for confirmatory course. Additionally the unit may well offer additional weekends, but if you are available every other weekend, that will be more than enough - in fact you probably can "budget" on 2-3 evenings a month + 1 weekend a month!

To get your bounty (worth £500+ in first year and goes up sharply thereafter - TAX FREE - you have to do a minimum of 24 days, of which at least 12 are "Operational Training" - ie, for you, basic training activities, you can see from above that you should have ample flex and opportunity to achieve that.

Ask away, though I would always advise asking unit direct!

Cheers

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
Hi

So I'm looking to join the RNR in the new year, I should of joined as a regular but now I have a family etc not ideal.

I've read through a lot of posts on here and I just would like some help.

I work as a sales executive and as such work a rolling rota of every other weekend off

My issue isn't attending week night trianingn which is understand is minimum 12 nights-I may be wrong

My issue will be juggling work family etc and commiting to the weekends

What are the guidelines on not being able to meet the minimum training?

Also can you claim fuel expenses to your unit? My local unit is approximately 30 miles away and wondered about travel expenses.
Thanks, as ever, for pinging me. Albeit that most, if not all of your quires have already been answered.

To expand on what @Kelvin has already said:
The minimum commitment is for twelve days Support Activity (SA) and Twelve Days Operational Training OT).

Consider the SA as 48 drills, rather than twelve days, one drill night evidently uses up one of these 48. A day uses four. A weekend (with travel) may consume as many as ten. SA is very much managed by the individual.

OT is, pretty much, directed. In your first year this WILL BE your confirmation course (as it is now called) at your New Entry Establishment, BRNC or Raleigh, as appropriate. Thereafter this will be branch training for ratings or Fleetboard type stuff for Midshipmen. Picking the date for this is between you, your branch, and your employer. This is not new, we all do this all the time.

If you miss your training commitments then nobody dies. However you will not qualify for Certificate of Efficiency, and hence Bounty, time accrued to medals and GCB, and so forth. It will, or course, delay your career progression.

Mileage is set, the rate being set by MoD. Unsurprisingly it is far below the rate that HMRC says it should be....
If you use public transport, this, too is claimable. Travel to drill nights is automatic, but has a maximum of 80 miles.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more.
BH

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated, i am going to be getting in touch with HMS Eaglet which is my nearest unit. I can commit to the week night drills easy in fact I can do every week and would want to commit to them. The weekends are tricky although I have every other off I would need to squeeze spending time with the family etc in as well

Anyone know anyone from Eaglet on here?