Looking to join, but leaving the police...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by noelweller, Jul 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello virgin post, I'm 26 years old and 6 months I've been a serving police officer for 6&1/2 years and I've become very disillusioned with it. I've many colleagues(ex-forces) who have recommended the navy.
    Ive looked around and I feel the envy would be a good option.
    I wanted to join as an air crew man but 6 months too old.
    Does anyone have any alternate recommendations for which I could look at that are not too far from aircrew?

Noel

novice.... Ta!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Join up as anything, fail your killicks course and become a Reggie (Navy Police).

Also search PERSEC noel.

PM Reply sent

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. You could join as an AC, then you could an aircrew nark like Monty

• Like Like x 1
  4. If your disillusioned with the police I wouldn't bother coming to the spiral of hate and gloom that is the navy. Honest advice.

5. Remedied. I hope you don't mind Danny.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Noel,

If educationally qualified for officer you could look to air traffic control or fighter control (the latter is also offered by the RAF I would add).

And whilst I hate to stay on the RAF theme - you could look into RAF senior NCO (Sgt) direct entry aircrew? I believe the RAF is also offering an air traffic contoller accelerated path to Sgt.

If aviation if your thing the RAF will probably be a better place to be for variety and breadth - that said, these are also exciting times for maritime aviation in the years ahead.

Whatever you decide - for what its worth my advice would be to apply as an officer from the off if you have the qualifications.

7. All this talk of things light blue is making me bilious

• Like Like x 1
  8. RAF ATC isn't accelerated, it's also direct entry to Sgt.

Disagree with the 'variety and breadth' statement regarding the RAF too. They spend a lot if time ring fenced at a single station / type. Want variety? RN has it in spades. The last seven years have taken me to two different ships operating a wide variety of mixed fixed wing and rotary, three op tours and three different air stations which, with the exception of Cottesmore also operate a wide variety of type.

Contrast that to your average RAF 'variety' over the same period.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  9. Maybe worse in engineering branches but I honestly don't know many people who love it.

If you want to work with people who love it and your fit join the marines.

10. I know quite a few. Perhaps it's you bringing them down? Booties drip just as much as anyone, I'd wager their attrition rates are no better than the GS or FAA either.

11. yeah booties drip drip but they love it.

Yeah ah it's obviously me bringing them down lol, moral will no doubt improve navy wide in 298 days ha.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Hilarious! All those planes! All those people falling over themselves to get on QE!!!

13. Had a serious think and leaning to the RAF. Cheers.

Noel

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ello, Ello, now then, 'appen.

In my experience most people join the Armed Forces, then join the Police.

Going from the Police to the armed forces is going to be a significant pay drop unless joining as an Officer. Many consider the Reserves.

If you want to remain a uniformed civilian, RAF is probably the best option if stability is also a significant consideration (such as having a family & suchlike).

15. Yeah I've gone throughout it. Been the careers office and spoken to a lot of people at RAF/Navy stands at various events.
    Bit of a shock to them going police to military but a few have said they have noticed it, The police isn't the police anymore. Can't remember the last time I did something self generated. Always the Jeremy Kyle rejects...:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wait, there are Jeremy Kyle rejects? They have some standards? When?!

Be prepared for RAF and their leaflets. They're obsessed with the bloody things.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

And balloons, don't forget the balloons. I like balloons.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Even this one :D
    pigeon.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. You could try for a force/service transfer to the MDP, this would offer you the opportunity to get round & see what goes on in the RN/ARMY/RAF bases before you jump & still leave you some time to decide.

The MDP or CNC are much better structured & you get the added bonus of strutting your stuff with a big gun.:)

From what I hear it's not easy to rejoin the police once you're out, & things are seriously tough out in the real world of work.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  20. No one likes a ex copper even the police it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk