Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking into RN career

Choppie

I'm currently a computer science student at university, and am trying to keep my options open for when I graduate. One of the careers which has really started to grow on me is working as a computer/communications technician in the Royal Navy.

Unfortunately, I have a bit of a history of asthma. Though I have not had any attacks since I was about 7 or 8, I was prescribed an inhaler last October due to a chest infection, which, I believe, means that I must wait four years before I can apply (life can be annoying, eh?).

While I wait, I was hoping to get an insight to the Royal Navy and what it would involve through the URNU (I don't believe my inhaler prescription automatically disqualifies me from it - please correct if I am wrong!). Would anyone know if applying for the URNU when I have two years left would hinder my application (I know they normally ask for three years, but have heard there is some leniency on this)? Also, would anyone suggest anything else I could be doing in the meantime?

Lastly, if indeed my asthma does come back to haunt me, are there any other roles in the RN which I would be eligible for?

Thanks for the help, and I am looking forward to signing up in 2019 if all remains well!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Welcome to the site.

Asthma? All applicants must be four years clear of signs, symptoms & treatment as you correctly state. Those with a prior history of asthma are going to have an uphill struggle. Besides successfully completing a four week peak flow diary as a pre-requisite, if subsequently claiming a more recent treatment did not present asthma symptoms - you will need qualified medical evidence in support of the claim from the outset.

If I'm completely honest, a Computer Science graduate should be aiming toward something rather more tangentially different to ET(WE)CIS as they will otherwise be disappointed to learn the day to day job does not involve software engineering, coding, stats, physics, maths, analytics, theoretical development, research etc. The job, in the main, will initially involve data input and fault diagnosis when the hardware breaks.

I'm inclined to advise you concentrate on acquiring leadership potential and experience, with a view toward perhaps considering joining as a Weapons Engineering Officer (WEO). The WEO role certainly has more potential to assimilate with your current studies.

Comms Tech? Yep, that again involves data analysis and different methods of obtaining the data, but is very much related to the intelligence sphere rather than the development of the future methodology by which the data is gathered.

Each to their own, and each rating job has its' merits, but if you want to use your particular degree, a commission as an Engineering Officer may better align with your vocational aspirations.

Choppie

Choppie, if the RN doesn't pan out for you, give GCHQ a call.

Seriously.

Unfortunately, GCHQ aren't interested in me because of my A-levels. I did look into them for some time, as I am interested in cryptography.

Welcome to the site.

Asthma? All applicants must be four years clear of signs, symptoms & treatment as you correctly state. Those with a prior history of asthma are going to have an uphill struggle. Besides successfully completing a four week peak flow diary as a pre-requisite, if subsequently claiming a more recent treatment did not present asthma symptoms - you will need qualified medical evidence in support of the claim from the outset.

If I'm completely honest, a Computer Science graduate should be aiming toward something rather more tangentially different to ET(WE)CIS as they will otherwise be disappointed to learn the day to day job does not involve software engineering, coding, stats, physics, maths, analytics, theoretical development, research etc. The job, in the main, will initially involve data input and fault diagnosis when the hardware breaks.

I'm inclined to advise you concentrate on acquiring leadership potential and experience, with a view toward perhaps considering joining as a Weapons Engineering Officer (WEO). The WEO role certainly has more potential to assimilate with your current studies.

Comms Tech? Yep, that again involves data analysis and different methods of obtaining the data, but is very much related to the intelligence sphere rather than the development of the future methodology by which the data is gathered.

Each to their own, and each rating job has its' merits, but if you want to use your particular degree, a commission as an Engineering Officer may better align with your vocational aspirations.

Thank you for this, I shall look into the role of an Engineering Officer :)

As for the asthma, I don't finish university until 2019, so unless I am prescribed inhalers unrelated to asthma between now and then, I see little point in challenging it.

My peak flow averages at about 650.

I don't suppose you would know if the prescription will stop me joining the URNU (specifically the Oxford URNU)?

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Unfortunately, GCHQ aren't interested in me because of my A-levels. I did look into them for some time, as I am interested in cryptography.

Thank you for this, I shall look into the role of an Engineering Officer :)

As for the asthma, I don't finish university until 2019, so unless I am prescribed inhalers unrelated to asthma between now and then, I see little point in challenging it.

My peak flow averages at about 650.

I don't suppose you would know if the prescription will stop me joining the URNU (specifically the Oxford URNU)?
Under current regulations URNU students must meet the same medical standard as the regular service although the URNU OC may apply discretion, if appropriate.

I used to be 2i/c (Coxswain) at Oxford URNU during the move into the then new Falklands House on Oxpens Road (opened by HM The Boss). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best of luck.

Choppie

Under current regulations URNU students must meet the same medical standard as the regular service although the URNU OC may apply discretion, if appropriate.

I used to be 2i/c (Coxswain) at Oxford URNU during the move into the then new Falklands House on Oxpens Road (opened by HM The Boss). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best of luck.

Thank you for this. I have been in contact with the OC and CS for OURNU, and have a meeting with them next week.

Do you know whether, as I am keen to go into the RN, they may take me on as an associate member in the event that I do fail the medical in October?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you for this. I have been in contact with the OC and CS for OURNU, and have a meeting with them next week.

Do you know whether, as I am keen to go into the RN, they may take me on as an associate member in the event that I do fail the medical in October?
It's entirely possible, depending on the numbers game.

When I was there we had a good number of associates. Two or three, each year, became full members after those who had joined the unit subsequently failed to meet a modicum of drill nights.

Oxford57

Midshipman
My daughter's URNU experience has been very positive,and has given her plenty of opportunities to gain a understanding of what the royal navy can offer,hope it goes well for you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Looking ahead to National Inclusion Week MoD News 0
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Healthcare for planets and humans: why looking after nature is good for mind, body, and the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
S 34 & looking at Hydrography and Meteorology recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
C Looking for info on ATC The Fleet Air Arm 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
huwshpis Looking for a boat Travel & The Great Outdoors 31
MoD_RSS News story: Funding boost for councils looking after asylum seeking children MoD News 0
Lily jade Looking for Kevin Wakelin/Wakeling Nearest & Dearest 9
Sumo Looking for info on WWII Pongo History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: Grants available for SMEs looking to export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Looking to the new year for progress to peace in Afghanistan MoD News 0
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
S Looking for archived Navy record Submariners 2
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
dapperdunn “The **** you looking at shitlips”. The Gash Barge 42
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl is looking for out-of-this-world space scientists to join its programme MoD News 0
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Looking for Aged Veterans Current Affairs 12
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
Simon - Quest Magazine Looking for engineers at all levels (Leading Hands, POs & CPOs) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Looking ahead to the London Somalia Conference 2017 MoD News 0
J Looking for advice on a medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Deckhamlad Ex Bootneck looking to join the RFA RFA 2
Woolfy Funny looking ear Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Looking for families of new recruits and/ or new submarine links Nearest & Dearest 2
D Looking for new submariners wags Submariners 9
E Looking to join, have a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Looking for photos of my husbands' service years Nearest & Dearest 2
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
Lindermyer Looking for Bill Diamond Lil's 10
D Sea Cadets are looking for volunteers Charity 44
Z Looking for information regarding joining deckhand Diamond Lil's 64
F Looking good The Quarterdeck 2