Looking into RN career

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Choppie, Apr 2, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently a computer science student at university, and am trying to keep my options open for when I graduate. One of the careers which has really started to grow on me is working as a computer/communications technician in the Royal Navy.

Unfortunately, I have a bit of a history of asthma. Though I have not had any attacks since I was about 7 or 8, I was prescribed an inhaler last October due to a chest infection, which, I believe, means that I must wait four years before I can apply (life can be annoying, eh?).

While I wait, I was hoping to get an insight to the Royal Navy and what it would involve through the URNU (I don't believe my inhaler prescription automatically disqualifies me from it - please correct if I am wrong!). Would anyone know if applying for the URNU when I have two years left would hinder my application (I know they normally ask for three years, but have heard there is some leniency on this)? Also, would anyone suggest anything else I could be doing in the meantime?

Lastly, if indeed my asthma does come back to haunt me, are there any other roles in the RN which I would be eligible for?

Thanks for the help, and I am looking forward to signing up in 2019 if all remains well!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

Asthma? All applicants must be four years clear of signs, symptoms & treatment as you correctly state. Those with a prior history of asthma are going to have an uphill struggle. Besides successfully completing a four week peak flow diary as a pre-requisite, if subsequently claiming a more recent treatment did not present asthma symptoms - you will need qualified medical evidence in support of the claim from the outset.

If I'm completely honest, a Computer Science graduate should be aiming toward something rather more tangentially different to ET(WE)CIS as they will otherwise be disappointed to learn the day to day job does not involve software engineering, coding, stats, physics, maths, analytics, theoretical development, research etc. The job, in the main, will initially involve data input and fault diagnosis when the hardware breaks.

I'm inclined to advise you concentrate on acquiring leadership potential and experience, with a view toward perhaps considering joining as a Weapons Engineering Officer (WEO). The WEO role certainly has more potential to assimilate with your current studies.

Comms Tech? Yep, that again involves data analysis and different methods of obtaining the data, but is very much related to the intelligence sphere rather than the development of the future methodology by which the data is gathered.

Each to their own, and each rating job has its' merits, but if you want to use your particular degree, a commission as an Engineering Officer may better align with your vocational aspirations.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Choppie, if the RN doesn't pan out for you, give GCHQ a call.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Unfortunately, GCHQ aren't interested in me because of my A-levels. I did look into them for some time, as I am interested in cryptography.

Thank you for this, I shall look into the role of an Engineering Officer :)

As for the asthma, I don't finish university until 2019, so unless I am prescribed inhalers unrelated to asthma between now and then, I see little point in challenging it.

My peak flow averages at about 650.

I don't suppose you would know if the prescription will stop me joining the URNU (specifically the Oxford URNU)?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Under current regulations URNU students must meet the same medical standard as the regular service although the URNU OC may apply discretion, if appropriate.

I used to be 2i/c (Coxswain) at Oxford URNU during the move into the then new Falklands House on Oxpens Road (opened by HM The Boss). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best of luck.
  6. Thank you for this. I have been in contact with the OC and CS for OURNU, and have a meeting with them next week.

Do you know whether, as I am keen to go into the RN, they may take me on as an associate member in the event that I do fail the medical in October?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

It's entirely possible, depending on the numbers game.

When I was there we had a good number of associates. Two or three, each year, became full members after those who had joined the unit subsequently failed to meet a modicum of drill nights.
  8. My daughter's URNU experience has been very positive,and has given her plenty of opportunities to gain a understanding of what the royal navy can offer,hope it goes well for you
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1