Looking into a transfer to AC

BDM

Midshipman
Hi guys,

Early stages but I'm looking at a move to aircraft controller, I'm a MESM at the moment so don't know what the chances of a yes would be anyway. Don't dislike my job at the moment but im looking into this branch and it seems like a good option for me.

I'm going to try and arrange a visit to rnas Yeovilton and look at the training complex they have.

Do you get any submariners moving across?
What's the training process like ?

Would it be worth me going to careers office seeing what info they have ?

Cheers
Bdm

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For Aircraft Controller, the only useful bit of literature that isn't on the RN website, that your AFCO has to Offer is the Flying Aptitude document issued by Cranwell.

From a pragmatic standpoint, I'm guessing you've completed your 5 years on boats and thus eligible to transfer, assuming your branch manager plays ball. In addition, I'm hoping you've vectored-in (see what I did there?) a significant drop in pay, the significantly higher proportion of shore to sea ratio associated with promotion and the fact you'll be paying food & accom charges if living on/in board for a large portion of the remainder of your career?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
For Aircraft Controller, the only useful bit of literature that isn't on the RN website, that your AFCO has to Offer is the Flying Aptitude document issued by Cranwell.

From a pragmatic standpoint, I'm guessing you've completed your 5 years on boats and thus eligible to transfer, assuming your branch manager plays ball. In addition, I'm hoping you've vectored-in (see what I did there?) a significant drop in pay, the significantly higher proportion of shore to sea ratio associated with promotion and the fact you'll be paying food & accom charges if living on/in board for a large portion of the remainder of your career?
Yeah, but he won't be on a boat....LOL :eek:o_O

And you can mince around Woo (Ville) with your Dolphins!!!

G

guestm

Hi guys,

Early stages but I'm looking at a move to aircraft controller, I'm a MESM at the moment so don't know what the chances of a yes would be anyway. Don't dislike my job at the moment but im looking into this branch and it seems like a good option for me.

I'm going to try and arrange a visit to rnas Yeovilton and look at the training complex they have.

Cheers
Bdm
Arrange a trip to Yeovilton AC School for a wet and a chat. They'll tell you all. The future's bright, even if the current is difficult.

Hi guys,

Cheers
Bdm
Arrange a trip to Yeovilton AC School for a wet and a chat. They'll tell you all. The future's bright, even if the current is difficult.

It's another of the roles invented by our Lords Commissioners to retain personnel with a semblance of Royal Navy life. Given that a considerable number serve just 4 years it is essential that those who have served longer than a dog watch be retained. Long serving SD officers of the WAFU persuasion were offered SD AV soft numbers in Safety Equipment , Photography, Meteorology. Aircraft Handling and anything else they could think of to retain the experienced. Aircraft Controller came to mind. Given we had few combat aircraft, it kept the old and bold on board.
What the future will be when the RN has some combat aircraft to Direct---Who knows.

It's another of the roles invented by our Lords Commissioners to retain personnel with a semblance of Royal Navy life. Given that a considerable number serve just 4 years it is essential that those who have served longer than a dog watch be retained. Long serving SD officers of the WAFU persuasion were offered SD AV soft numbers in Safety Equipment , Photography, Meteorology. Aircraft Handling and anything else they could think of to retain the experienced. Aircraft Controller came to mind. Given we had few combat aircraft, it kept the old and bold on board.
What the future will be when the RN has some combat aircraft to Direct---Who knows.
Hello Norman.