Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help?

fantmax

Hi Everyone,
I've recently found my (now deceased) Grandads old Royal Naval Certificate of Service dating from 1935-37. I'll try and scan a few pictures of it for reference if I can.
It states that he served for several months on 2 ships - Pembroke and Electra. The history of Electra is pretty clear and easy to find but Pembroke is a little more vague. The only reference I can find to a ship named Pembroke during those years is an Admiralty Trawler named 'Daniel Fearall' which was recommissioned as HMS Pembroke during 1923-39.
However my question is... is 'Daniel Fearall AKA HMS Pembroke' the ship that my Grandad served a few months on? Two things come to mind...
1) Is it possible for an Admiralty trawler (usually with the prefix HMT) to become a ship with the prefix HMS?
2) I've also read that facilities such as barracks and other buildings could also be given the name HMS for example...
HMS Pembroke I - accounting base at Chatham between 1940 and 1960.
HMS Pembroke II - Royal Naval Air Station at Eastchurch between 1913 and 1918.
HMS Pembroke II - accounting base at Chatham between 1940 and 1957.
HMS Pembroke III - accounting base at London and outstations between 1942 and 1952.
HMS Pembroke IV - accounting base at Chatham between 1919 and 1920, and the Nore between 1939 and 1961.
HMS Pembroke V - naval base at Dover between 1919 and 1923, secret base at Bletchley Park between 1941 and 1945, and the name for WRNS personnel in London between 1945 and 1946.
HMS Pembroke VI - accounting section at Chatham in 1919.
HMS Pembroke VII - depot ship for auxiliary patrols at Grimsby between 1919 and 1921.
HMS Pembroke VIII - naval base on the Humber between 1920 and 1921.
HMS Pembroke X - headquarters of the Royal Navy Patrol Service at Lowestoft between 1939 and 1940.

...however as far as I can see, none of these facilities match up with the dates. Also from the same source I read that 'Sailors had a 'base', to which they would be posted at the end of each period of service before being elsewhere and also, for accounting purposes, sailors were including on the establishment of a 'base' or 'depot ship' (in the case of submarines or destroyers), and detached for service elsewhere.' Could it be possible that Pembroke was just a facility he stayed/worked at?
I hope someone out there has more insights, and I really appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance
Max

Attachments

Dusty70

War Hero
He was at HMS Pembroke in Chatham Kent for training as a supply (rating?) as it gives his rating as STOII - which to me means Stores and Transport (Officer?) second class

Needs an older Jack Dusty than me....................................;)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It looks to me that he was a Stoker if you look further down the page, my eyes aren't what they were mind

Dusty70

War Hero
Good spot Janner - could be that STO II is abbreviation for Stoker second class

Picture from HMS Pembroke at Chatham 1936 you can see they are all stokers - so must have trained there ?

1590423006500.png1590423006500.png

fantmax

@ Dusty70 @janner - Yes he was definitely a Stoker, as he told me that information himself, and definitely not an officer. I imagine that STOII might mean Stoker second class? It's possible that he was the lowest rank on the ship :) maybe even being out-ranked by the ships cat :)
He was invalided out in 1937 after being on the receiving end of an engine room explosion on the HMS Electra which destroyed his hearing and he went deaf. Unfortunately, among the trove of information available about Electra's war years, I can't find any information on that explosion other than a reference to Electra being refitted and placed in reserve in 1938. Most likely as a cause of the accident.
With that lead about Chatham (I now see it's written on the page) I've looked further and discovered that Chatham dockyards was indeed also known as HMS Pembroke and was a 'manning port' during the years shown on his Certificate of Service. So it seems that he was serving at a facility rather than on a ship. This lasted for another year and half until his leaving the Service as a cause of the aforementioned accident. In regards to his leaving the Navy, the notes on the Certificate read 'Below Naval Physical Standard.'
Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate your comments.
Regards
Max

fantmax

@Dusty70 Thanks for your second reply, I was in the middle of composing my post when you commented :)
That picture looks great but unfortunately I can't see it very well. Is it possible you could send it to me direct at my email?
It's [email protected]
(That reads noble six hundred)
I would really appreciate that :)

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
The Electra entry appears to be prefixed by St Angelo. This was a shore Establishment in Malta. The Electra is shown as being on patrol around Spain during 1936 for the Spanish Civil War.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Just for fun, I put 'Spanish Civil War HMS Electra' into Google and out came this:

In 1936, Electra was assigned to Non-Intervention Patrols in Spanish waters during the Spanish Civil War. In 1938, she underwent a refit at Sheerness, and then was placed 'in reserve'.
Ship class: E and F-class destroyer
Ship builder: Ailsa Shipbuilding Company

Lots more there too!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Looking for information regarding joining deckhand Diamond Lil's 64
T Looking for a bit of information on the Buccaneer ... The Fleet Air Arm 32
I Looking for information on Royal Canadian Navy Personnel WW2 International 7
frayedknotarts Looking for information on a photo History 5
Timmo Looking for information History 0
S Saffa Looking for more Information The Corps 8
S 34 & looking at Hydrography and Meteorology recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 1
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
C Looking for info on ATC The Fleet Air Arm 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
huwshpis Looking for a boat Travel & The Great Outdoors 31
MoD_RSS News story: Funding boost for councils looking after asylum seeking children MoD News 0
Lily jade Looking for Kevin Wakelin/Wakeling Nearest & Dearest 9
Sumo Looking for info on WWII Pongo History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: Grants available for SMEs looking to export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Looking to the new year for progress to peace in Afghanistan MoD News 0
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
S Looking for archived Navy record Submariners 2
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
dapperdunn “The **** you looking at shitlips”. The Gash Barge 42
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl is looking for out-of-this-world space scientists to join its programme MoD News 0
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Looking for Aged Veterans Current Affairs 12
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
Simon - Quest Magazine Looking for engineers at all levels (Leading Hands, POs & CPOs) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Looking ahead to the London Somalia Conference 2017 MoD News 0
J Looking for advice on a medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Deckhamlad Ex Bootneck looking to join the RFA RFA 2
Woolfy Funny looking ear Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Looking into RN career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Looking for families of new recruits and/ or new submarine links Nearest & Dearest 2
D Looking for new submariners wags Submariners 9
E Looking to join, have a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Looking for photos of my husbands' service years Nearest & Dearest 2
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
Lindermyer Looking for Bill Diamond Lil's 10
D Sea Cadets are looking for volunteers Charity 44
F Looking good The Quarterdeck 2
diehard Looking for an old friend The Quarterdeck 2