Looking for info on WWII Pongo

Looking for where to find Info search for a work college

His old man William Bolitho (crossed the bar), was a WWII veteran, whom like a lot didn’t talk much about his service.

His was an officer in the Lancashire reg, driving Churchill Tanks?

He was shot and wounded, losing his leg, possibly at the battle of Falaise Gap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falaise_Pocket

Any ideas as to where he could start his search to find out info about his dad’s WWII service, he does have his service number.

I’ll do some digging but any good pointers are appreciated, I’ll also post on that other site.

Last edited:
National Archives, Regimental Museum, IWM.

Archives first as you can get his service record, it's where I downloaded my paternal Grandads record, although that was WW1.

Edited to add, with the service number he may appear in the London Gazette if any medals were awarded.

Possibly true they used to run a Pub in Mullion, Lancashire Reg?
Surnames mean nothing, nor regiment. During WW1 my Grandfather (Surrey born and bred) served in the Dublin Fusiliers, plus 2 other Irish regiments and we have no Irish connections that I'm aware of.

Colonel Bolitho is the Lord Lt of Cornwall

Surnames mean nothing, nor regiment. During WW1 my Grandfather (Surrey born and bred) served in the Dublin Fusiliers, plus 2 other Irish regiments and we have no Irish connections that I'm aware of.

Colonel Bolitho is the Lord Lt of Cornwall
Bolitho is a very Cornish surname.

Cornish name sorted, Granddad Bolitho from Penzance area, wounded in WW1 was sent to Lancashire Royal Infirmary, his treating nurse became his wife, ended up living in Morecambe