looking for any advice on the best place to buy mess undress

creeper

Badgeman
Re: looking for any advice on the best place to buy mess und

Has an email from Turner Virr & Co Ltd and they are quoting 170 for jacket and trousers not bad if it's the same cloth as No 1's

Bowties to wear with mess dress/undress?

There are now available several lots of "Officers Evening Bow Ties" for sale on eBay. According to the seller, they were made (in 1952) by a company called "Winfields".

Does anyone know anything about this company? Particularly the quality of their bow ties? I cannot find anything on the internet about them, so I assume they are out of business, and I was hoping that someone here had experience with it.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer

Wearing MUD at civvy functions is a "taste" call but does as has been said come in very handy. As a single sprog I was invited with about 4 others to an industry presentation in Birmingham, all black tie, not being Army our answer was to wear Mess Kit - very good results :twisted:

The other services are the same, Officers get a grant (RN sadly not) and the SR get to decide whether to splash out.

Turner Virr were previously Dewhursts who made the contract uniforms for BRNC. Very very poor quality, I remember pulling up my trousers before a practise divisions and the waistband coming off in my hands and two trouser legs falling away either side.. 8O

There is another tailor that I am told offers their services to Northwood (I can check) they do uniforms for all three services, excellent quality and the prices were excellent too (RN Officers MUD at Gieves £1900 at Northwood £350). I can ask my friends there if any needs more details.

I purchased undress from Bernard's, when they first appeared for SRs in the 70s, for a Summer ball in Pembroke.
Bees Knees! (even if I do say so myself :wink: ) mind you I was a bit more athletic looking then so the cummerbund fitted very well indeed, and it went down a treat with some of the visiting ladies.
The only problem I had was Pusser had not then issued a PO rate badge for the jacket, nor even really decided what /where it was to go - so I used a tie badge on the lapel. Not quite uniform dress code, but no-one complained.
I still have it hanging in the wardrobe - sad innit ?

:)

creeper

Badgeman
Just a quick update - popped into Turner & Virr and got fitted for mess undress, jacket & trousers tailored to fit, also bought a shirt, braces and medals, all in just under £250

creeper

Badgeman

Mess undress arived last week - very happy with it, all alterations to fit were done well and was sent out a week and a half earlier that quoted.

One happy bunny :)

I've got to agree with the Turner Virr & Co. Ltd. option (http://www.turnervirr.co.uk/) - I brought mess undress from them when I got my PO's up and have worn it on mumerous occassions since. Am now a Chief - just have the badge taken off and buttons put on and bob's your live in lover! They're top quality so no worries there. I got mine fitted over in the old Fisgard building opposite Raleigh, but there's a tailoress who works for them in Guzz called June Carter who visits Drake onceor twice a week. If her numbers haven't changed, they are: 01752 815586 and 07966 02163. Give her a bell and she'll sort you out. Louis Bernards etc actually buy their stuff from Turner Virr and sell it on at hugely inflated prices. Turner Virr also do the shirt/bow tie/shoes/studs/medals etc as well - happy days. :lol:

Latest Threads