looking for a verse

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by mikh, Feb 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well some of you old (older anyway) salts might be able to help me with this one, a friend (who I have lost contact with) had his gulf medal framed with a verse comparing the lot of a sailor with that of a prisinor ie condidtion of accomodation.

I have been trying to find it online without success, any help would be much appreciated

2. Can't remember it word for word, but was it someting like this?

'A man who has the wit to get himself thrown in prison would never be a sailor, for being on a ship at sea is like being in prison only with a chance of being drowned.'

It was in one of the pubs on the Hard in Pompey. Although I was never Pompey baesd it kind of etched itself into my mind from when I was at Sultan.

3. Samuel Johnson said "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned...A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company"

4. That sounds more like it. I hope I provided a clue, it was a very long time ago!

5. Cheers for the help

Found following quote from Dr Jonson

No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned...A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company.

Sound very simialr to the one I rembember, but I'm sure is was a few verses longer

6. The quote itself does not come from a verse, but from a letter from Dr. Tobias Smollett to John Wilkes. It arose after the three (Johnson,Wilkes and Smollett) arranged for the release from the Navy of Francis Barber, who was Johnson's negro servant. The fact that Barber did not wish to be released from the Navy may be a comment on Johnson's prejudice against the Navy and the exaggerated claims of those who agreed with him.

7. I'm guesing someone took the quote and ran with it, probably that elusive poet and all round piss taker A N O'nymus.

Gonna try and track my oppo down to see if I can get a copy of his.