looking for a verse

mikh

MIA
Well some of you old (older anyway) salts might be able to help me with this one, a friend (who I have lost contact with) had his gulf medal framed with a verse comparing the lot of a sailor with that of a prisinor ie condidtion of accomodation.

I have been trying to find it online without success, any help would be much appreciated

Can't remember it word for word, but was it someting like this?

'A man who has the wit to get himself thrown in prison would never be a sailor, for being on a ship at sea is like being in prison only with a chance of being drowned.'

It was in one of the pubs on the Hard in Pompey. Although I was never Pompey baesd it kind of etched itself into my mind from when I was at Sultan.

ronalder

Lantern Swinger
Harry_off_the_Hermes said:
Can't remember it word for word, but was it someting like this?

'A man who has the wit to get himself thrown in prison would never be a sailor, for being on a ship at sea is like being in prison only with a chance of being drowned.'

It was in one of the pubs on the Hard in Pompey. Although I was never Pompey baesd it kind of etched itself into my mind from when I was at Sultan.
Samuel Johnson said "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned...A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company"

mikh

MIA
Cheers for the help

Found following quote from Dr Jonson

No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned...A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company.

Sound very simialr to the one I rembember, but I'm sure is was a few verses longer

ronalder

Lantern Swinger
mikh said:
Cheers for the help

Found following quote from Dr Jonson

No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned...A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company.

Sound very simialr to the one I rembember, but I'm sure is was a few verses longer
The quote itself does not come from a verse, but from a letter from Dr. Tobias Smollett to John Wilkes. It arose after the three (Johnson,Wilkes and Smollett) arranged for the release from the Navy of Francis Barber, who was Johnson's negro servant. The fact that Barber did not wish to be released from the Navy may be a comment on Johnson's prejudice against the Navy and the exaggerated claims of those who agreed with him.

mikh

MIA
I'm guesing someone took the quote and ran with it, probably that elusive poet and all round piss taker A N O'nymus.

Gonna try and track my oppo down to see if I can get a copy of his.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Healthcare for planets and humans: why looking after nature is good for mind, body, and the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
S 34 & looking at Hydrography and Meteorology recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
C Looking for info on ATC The Fleet Air Arm 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
huwshpis Looking for a boat Travel & The Great Outdoors 31
MoD_RSS News story: Funding boost for councils looking after asylum seeking children MoD News 0
Lily jade Looking for Kevin Wakelin/Wakeling Nearest & Dearest 9
Sumo Looking for info on WWII Pongo History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: Grants available for SMEs looking to export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Looking to the new year for progress to peace in Afghanistan MoD News 0
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
S Looking for archived Navy record Submariners 2
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
dapperdunn “The **** you looking at shitlips”. The Gash Barge 42
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl is looking for out-of-this-world space scientists to join its programme MoD News 0
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Looking for Aged Veterans Current Affairs 12
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
Simon - Quest Magazine Looking for engineers at all levels (Leading Hands, POs & CPOs) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Looking ahead to the London Somalia Conference 2017 MoD News 0
J Looking for advice on a medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Deckhamlad Ex Bootneck looking to join the RFA RFA 2
Woolfy Funny looking ear Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Looking into RN career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Looking for families of new recruits and/ or new submarine links Nearest & Dearest 2
D Looking for new submariners wags Submariners 9
E Looking to join, have a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Looking for photos of my husbands' service years Nearest & Dearest 2
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
Lindermyer Looking for Bill Diamond Lil's 10
D Sea Cadets are looking for volunteers Charity 44
Z Looking for information regarding joining deckhand Diamond Lil's 64
F Looking good The Quarterdeck 2