Looking for a Book

Discussion in 'History' started by Resocrew, May 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone remember the name of the book about the Royal Navy that was written in the late 50s early 60s that was banned.
    Can ayone remember the Title or the Author.

2. The Royal Navy "The Truth"

3. Not even close mate.
    The book was a novel about a sailor in a Pompey based ship. Big Silv got a mention but the book ended with the hero killing a particulary bad senior rate and was therfore banned. Hope this helps a bit more.

4. I've tried to research this this morning for you and have had considerable difficulty.

Can you confirm that this was a novel which was withdrawn from sale in the UK by the British Government because the story line involved the murder of a RN Senior Rate? Have you read about this book elsewhere?

5. I read the book in the mid 60s. It was very famous at the time. I think it was only banned in the RN but could be bought fairly easy outside the mob.
    It described in graphic detail the life of ordinary sailors and I am sure some of the old early 60s matelots will have read this. I was on HMS Mohawk at the time and Big Silv was a prostitute in the Mucky Duck if memory serves me well. I was a junior stoker on Christmas Eve 1967 when I was allowed ashore in the company of one of our Chief Shipwrights. He "trapped"Big Silv and I had to spend the night in her flat on the couch which was an experience quite unique.
    I was sworn to secrecy and this is the first time I am telling the story.

6. Are you confident that this was by a British author and wasn't a translation of a French novel? There is at least one French novel involving a sailor and murder which couldn't be published and sold in the UK in the 1960s because of its content.

7. Ha! Ha! always thought Big Silv was a Tranny/used to work in the Sussex, Grand Criterium,Lennox ,Carriages, who was a Chef on an RFA looks like your chief , got seen off :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Definately Royal Navy and the fact Big Silv got a mention makes it even more so.
    However it could be that a french name was used to get round the ban. Do you have a name

9. Big Silv a Tranny only a scouser could come up with that. She was some woman and could clear a pub full of matelots two-six.

10. Ha! Ha! dont you mean Gilda??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Hmm, I think I may have gone down a bit of a cul-de-sac with this one. I was thinking of Querelle of Brest by Jean Genet, because it was banned from being published in the UK until the mid-sixties. It wasn't because sailors and murder were involved, though, rather because of the intense homo-erotic content.

I think that it's unlikely that Big Silv featured in any of Genet's novels, when I think of it ...............

Sorry about that. I might come up with a better idea later!

12. Yeah, I have seen Big Silv in the Sussex but she was more likely to be on the Strip. But now you have mentioned some other pubs can you name the bars down pompey strip. I have totaly forgot.

13. There is another thread on RR about Pompey pubs .Soleil will find it for you :wink: :wink:

14. Interesting but sad website here about the lost pubs of Portsmouth.

15. Big Sylv used to frequent the Albany in Pompey, I have cause to remember her because she laid me out one night after I told her to Fcuk off after she asked me for a drink. The other two benders that used to be in there with her were Wally and Gilda. Wally was always wearing a leopard print vest and Gilda was always dancing to Shirleys Bassey singing "Hey Big Spender". As for shagging it, I wouldn't put my walking stick in there and thats got a rubber tip.

The book your talking about wouldn't be "The Red Sailor" would it???

17. Scouse I dont know but I believe you have just read it, so whats the bio and I will let you know.

18. No not me Rescrew, but plenty have on RR , its doing the rounds Re: The Red Sailor
    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:34 pm

w.anchor,

It just so happens I do have a copy of the said 'The Red Sailor' which you can have buckshee, but you will have to pay the postage whatever that comes to. Around £2-£2.50 I would imagine as its only a very slim volume.
    Anyway buddy PM me to exchange addresses and I will get it to you okay?
    Once you have read it perhaps you can do the same for others on RR who want to read this classic which only cost 3/6d back in 1966 lol.