Looking for a boat

huwshpis

War Hero
My son graduates from University in a couple of weeks and we thought it would be a good idea to charter a boat and mooch around on the Thames upstream of Teddington to celebrate. Unfortunately, the only vessels available seem to be dorys or other small open craft. We were hoping for a modest gin palace. Anyone got any ideas?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Some of the canal boat hire people do plastic cruisers as well as conventional narrow boats, don't know what standard they are though

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Go into Smiths and browse through Canal Boats or Waterways - as Janner says, lots of companies renting out narrow boats. Don't bother with a plastic gin palace - they ALWAYS come off worse when faced with 50 or 60 feet of narrow-boat!

If I still had mine (one of life's regrets!) you could have used it!

Sumo

War Hero
You could always get an hotel by the Thames, lots of gin, no sea time, watch the boats go by? Did something similar we our youngest, hired accommodation on the Norfolk Broads (ex Helta_skelta) and hired a day boat. We had a good size cool box, full of Guiness for me and son, just incase we became thirsty between watering holes, very good relaxing holiday, watching *********'s who couldn't handle boats sobber, good job no breathalyser on the water ways.

huwshpis

War Hero
Thanks, chaps. I will conduct more research. @Sumo the problem is that looking out on the Thames and watching the boats go by is what I do every day when not in court!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Is this your ilk?

The elk or wapiti is one of the largest species within the deer family, Cervidae, and one of the largest terrestrial mammals in North America and Northeast Asia. This animal should not be confused with the still larger moose to which the name "elk" applies in British English and in reference to populations in Eurasia.

I like moose (m)ilk!!!

huwshpis

War Hero
@SONAR-BENDER, I know about your predilection for moose milk and wondered when it would appear here. That is not, however, my ilk, which roams around in ones and twos (occasionally threes), and wears horsehair on top, starched white cotton around the neck and black flowing robes around the rest. Some of us wear short jackets that look like a waistcoat with sleeves, combined with black and grey-striped "spongebag" trousers.

Thanks, chaps. I will conduct more research. @Sumo the problem is that looking out on the Thames and watching the boats go by is what I do every day when not in court!
Spooky, I was having a drink with a barrister friend of my wife the other week and she said the same (pleasure not business), she wishes she could give it all up and sail up and down the river :)