Looking for a bit of information on the Buccaneer ...

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by terrorfex, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright lads. I'm on my way through a degree in Aircraft Engineering and I've got to write a report on an aircraft of my choosing, and a pneumatic system it uses. Since we're getting bonus marks for originality, I'm giving some thought on covering the Bananajet, i.e. the Buccaneer and its blown-flap (Boundary Layer Control) system.

If anyone could point me to some technical resources regarding the Buccaneer, that'd be great. Secondly, I'm on the lookout for a diagram (or two) on the BLC, but haven't found anything on google images. I don't mind paying for it, but knowing where to look would be helpful.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

3. And he did, he went to the folk that operated it. No serving matelot will have worked on teh Bucc so who do you turn to? No not Ghostbusters, the old farts.

Scouse will along in a mo to talk all things Buccaneer.

4. Where are your Buccaneers?

Before anyone else gets it in!!!!

5. Will get it in b4 anyone else....

ON THE SIDE OF YOUR BUCCAN HEAD.... BOOM BOOM !!!!!!!

6. terrorfex-

private message me with more detailed questions regarding the Bucanner. I developed a mathematical model of it at the start of my PhD so may be of use to you.

7. Mathematical model, most grubbers couldn't even add two numbers together and get the correct answer :p

8. Here goes :p :p Buccaneers were fitted with " blown" flaps,ailerons,wing leading edges and tailplane. The use of "blown" wings and boundrylayer controls or BLC . Enabled the aircraft to be flown more slowly!!! an essential asset for the aircrew, to land on board a carrier. Especially with the air brake extended. More engine power could be used, and much greater control of the aircraft exercised, as a result.

9. Aye, they do. The most important thing they teach us is citation of sources and citation of research material : as much as I'd love to just quote verbatim from all these old heads, I need technical drawings so at the very least, I can draw my own diagrams to support the data I'm offering.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll check those sites out. Am really in need of a diagram of the BLC system, however.

10. Try contacting the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton.
    They may have the relevant A.Ps. and if you are lucky may even photocopy what you need.
    If you are successful they would love a donation of course

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

13. Cheers. I fired off a few emails to both those. Hopefully I'll get what I need and present something a little more interesting than another bog-standard report on the 727 / 737. Yawn.

14. Unfortunately despite a big response, there's been no success in locating technical drawings or diagrams for the Bucc. I could write a hundred pages but without something concrete in terms of drawings, diagrams, or access to anything like technical writing, it'd be no more acceptable as an essay as anything else based on supposition.

Many thanks for everyone who responded, maybe next time. :)

15. Don't give up so easily.

The items you are looking for could have been archived.

I've had a quick look at the progression of the companies which built the Buccaneer and the companies into which they merged and am wondering whether their archives were inherited.

It seems to go Blackburn Aircraft - acquired by Hawker Siddeley - acquired by British Aerospace - became BAe Systems.

I have looked to see whether BAe Systems has an archivist but can't find one. If you think that there may be something in this, you could give them a call and ask:

http://www.baesystems.com/WorldwideLocations/UnitedKingdom/Locations/Brough/autoGen_10712092732.html

16. Brough and Boscombe Down, would be a good start also Lossiemouth has a Museum SGT Tony Carlin is your contact