Looking at joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mike45, Jan 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the navy stil recuirting? or have they stopped I have read waiting list are quite long.

2. They are still recruiting, but HMS Raleigh (where the basic training for Ratings takes place) is not taking any new entrants until after Easter.

What are you interested in joining as?

3. Looking at a trade on subs, either weapons engineer or marine engineer, or could be swayed towards another job on the subs if they have a shorter waiting list.

4. The Navy is still recruiting, just not taking anyone in for a few months. Don't be put off by long waiting lists and joining a branch you won't like just to get in. You'll regret it if you do, if you want engineering then stick to that.

And they're called boats, not subs.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The RN is indeed recruiting, but as indicated by Joe & Wrecker L, there are quite long waiting times to join.

The advice is to select the job you want rather than be influenced by the trade specific wait, complete selecion then find something to do with regard work or further education whilst you wait.

Best of luck.

6. Navy recruiting?

To follow on from NS, The RN is recruiting, but you can expect a wait of anything between 2 to 4 years. But the best thing to do is pop along to your nearest Forces careers office for a chat with a careers advisor.

SM

:happy7:

7. Ok thanks can I just ask for a friend how long the waiting list is for the royal marines?

8. You obviously aren't sure what to do are you? Gone from submarines to marines? Go in and have a chat at an office, its the easiest way to find out what you actually want to do. Also read all the jobs that interest you on the site. We have all had this problem you just need to work it out yourself.

For RM you have to be super fit, and kind of crazy. As they say 99% need not apply or what ever they say?!?

If you have the grades, according to the recruitment officer today the officers haven't got such a long waiting list. I was advised not to worry about joining yet and just study like mad until my final year.

Luke

9. That's pretty rich coming from someone who can't work out if he wants to be a Jam bosun or a Information systems officer

If you want to be an RN officer you'll need to learn to pay more attention. He asked about the RM for his friend. And I'm not sure how many cabbage heads you've met but I cringed a little at your description.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. If you go in to your local office you'll get a DVD with videos of all the jobs, I didn't even think about mine warfare untill I watched the DVD, so you might see somthing else there you like that you wouldn't of thought of. Each vid isn't that long so it won't take days to go through them.

11. MLP! tut tut

i have now cringed at both descriptions

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Combine both...RN and RM.....

STC Branch....the gift that keeps on giving.

Have a browse there's some threads on here somewhere about them, you gotta be fit and dedicated though.....

Best of luck

13. i think he might just be crazy enough to do it

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You may well be right Rigsby, I'm not to sure of waiting times for STC now that you can do direct entry.

Last I heard was some Raf Regt guys failed selection, but, may well be hearsay.

15. W_B you are correct. My 'man' on the inside said it was due to lack of sea time/ship familiarity and maritime nav skills which is hardly surprising really (apparantly this was some 'trial exchange' selection with the RAF SF Team). The direct entry route for all ranks can only raise the bar for those aspiring to undertake this challenge. I just wished i had known about it when i was in.

16. Ok, would you prefer education averse surrender monkeys?

17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Who's that for? The sea hats?

18. :-D
    The "tell us what you really think" award for not sitting on the fence:
    MLP

a well suited award then MLP :-D

19. Thanks mate.

I love you Royals really, you all make me look bright. ^_~

20. Based upon your previous comments then MLP that hardly makes for a ringing endorsement of your own intellectual prowess does it? :laughing1: