Looking at a career in the RFA

Jims

Hi guys a little background on myself,

So I'm 28, and was looking at joining the Royal Navy, however I have astigmatism which take me above the medical standards threshold for service in the RN. I also have poor qualifications. Only Ds in Maths English and Science, although I do have level 2 Adult Numeracy and Literacy which apparently is a equivalent to a C.

So I decided to research the RFA a bit and by the looks of it my eyesight should be OK. I'm considering 2 roles which are both apprenticeships. Seamanship and Communications Information Systems (Depending my level 2 numeracy and literacy count as an equivalent).

I won't lie, I'm slightly hesitant because of my age, I feel like it would be odd for someone close to their 30s to be going for an apprenticeship.

However I'm looking to make a career out of it and gain as many qualifications as I can and basically get my life back on the right path.

Is an apprenticeship in the RFA at my age something I should consider. Or have I missed the boat (no pun intended)

.Torch.

Midshipman
I've seen apprentices of all ages (oldest was 59), so I would not worry about it. There are a lot of entries in their twenties who are looking for something new, so you most likely have a fair few people who are your own age aswell.

I'd give the recruitment cell a call and see if you can speak to someone in RFA recruitment. Initially, I believe applications are sifted fairly autocratically so they could be a barrier to entry, but I am not sure what level your qualifications would be equivalent too.

Jims

Hi, thanks for your reply.

To be honest the Seamanship Apprentice does sound more appealing to me personally, I'm not very technically minded and have little experience with IT and Communications. Spent most of my 20s in retail, and 2 years as a bosun at a sea school.

I'll do a little more research and fire off an application

Last edited:

.Torch.

Midshipman
If you have previous maritime qualifications, that will probably go a long way to helping you. What did your sea school role involve?

I don't believe the Seamanship Apprentice role has many prerequisites, so I would just throw your hat into the ring.

Good luck! Enthusiasm goes a long way!

Jims

If you have previous maritime qualifications, that will probably go a long way to helping you. What did your sea school role involve?

I don't believe the Seamanship Apprentice role has many prerequisites, so I would just throw your hat into the ring.

Good luck! Enthusiasm goes a long way!
I spent a lot of my time cleaning and scrubbing decks. Did do safety equipment checks every over month or so and doing maintenance when it was time to take the yachts out of the water. The only qualification I got out of it was an RYA Competent crew.

Last edited:

Aninaz

Go for it! Might as well pop your application in?

I changed what I applied for based off a conversation with the recruitment teams. They can be really helpful if you’re not sure.

I’m 24 and will hopefully be (pending a few vaccinations) starting in October for the ME cadetship. I was worried it was late in life to do something like this but what the heck. I’m so excited and really think it’s the job for me. When I say late in life, only because I feel that silly society pressure on women to have kids and a family at 30 and I’d still like to be in the RFA sailing around then.

I did an engineering apprenticeship when I was 19 and we had people over 40 on it. The age range was helpful because it brought together a variety of experience, knowledge and skill sets. I wouldn’t worry about it!