Longest wait almost over. Just for my update interview. Bah!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Deaver, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm new to the forums so forgive some of my little quirks as I adjust myself to your lingo.

As the title dictates I went to join the Navy back in April. Took 4 weeks for my initial test date, and 4 weeks after that to get my interview.

I'm going in as WE:MT. I was confident in my last interview that I would get in without a hitch. Naturally though I was surprised to find that I didn't study the weapons themselfs so well. The defence side and misc dutys of WE's I had down to a treat. Anyways cut a long story short. The lady suggested that I take 3 months to not only study the weapons side of things, but also read more into Naval lifestyle.

But as September loomed, I got a phonecall. The lady interviewing me got transferred and there would be further dely to my application.. My update interview is on Tuesday, that's how long I've had to wait hehe.

Well obviously I didn't come on here to post a story I actulley came here to ask a couple questions.

1) After passing the interview process, howlong do you have to wait for a fitness/medical test date?

2) Anyone got any interview pointers? (I've been on the navys site to look up the weapons of war.) Is there anyother sites though?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear your confidence was seemingly misplaced & one hopes you do well this time around, remembering that humility may further aid your objective & assuming you have spent the last few months increasing your knowledge about your chosen branch - presumably ET(WE)?

Short of downloading the relevant factsheet & reading-up about the job on on the RN website, possibly volunteering to undergo a Royal Navy Acquaint Course/Ratings Preparation Course may further your quest.

Assuming you get through your second interview you can generally expect to wait about 2-4 weeks for a medical examination- after completing the eyetest. Upon completion of being passed fit, you have 28 days to complete the PJFT.

Best of luck.

3. Re: Longest wait almost over. Just for my update interview.

Lucky I didn't go in saying Weapons Engineer:Marine Tech aye? :p

Cheers for the feedback and if I get through this time round expect to see me here a little more. This is a handy website, kind of makes me wish I typed "Navy Recruting Tips" into google 6 months ago.

4. Re: Longest wait almost over. Just for my update interview.

i got a few bits of advice, im not gonna pretend im the guru cos ive only just passed the applcation process, just waiting for a basic training date now but;
    1) if you smoke, do yourself a favour and don't have a fag in your suit, if your interview isn't until later in the day, then put your nice clean, ironed suit on half hour before or so. (if they smell smoke on you when you first walk in it's not that great of an impression)
    2) take some time to clean your shoes and shine them up well, also remember to colour code the shoes with your belt.
    3) even if it's hot, wear a suit jacket, and if you get hot in the interview ask if you can take it off, this shows the careers advisor that you are confident, when you take it off, stand up and sit it on the back of your chair.
    4) be yourself, they often asking questions on your answer, so if you tell a little white lie, and they ask you more questions on that, your screwed.

best of luck though mate and let us know how you got on :)

5. Re: Longest wait almost over. Just for my update interview.

Passed my interview an hour ago :D

Just got my Medical/PJFT and then HMS Rayleigh/Collingwood here I come.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Longest wait almost over. Just for my update interview.

Tip Top. Good to see you undertook thorough research as advised & doubtless Rayleigh will be a breeze. :wink: