Longest time submerged.......

#1
HMS Triumph sailed to Australia in 1993, travelling 41,000 miles submerged without support -- the longest solo deployment so far by a nuclear submarine.


Can anyone tell me how long this took?
 
#3
themonkeyg0d said:
HMS Triumph sailed to Australia in 1993, travelling 41,000 miles submerged without support -- the longest solo deployment so far by a nuclear submarine.


Can anyone tell me how long this took?
She left the UK on February 1st 1993 and arrived in Australia on May 12th 1993, so roughly 14 weeks.
 

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#4
I seem to remember there was a Nazi U-boat that, in breach of the surrender, escaped to Argentina in 1945. There was a book about it.
 
#6
Seaweed said:
I seem to remember there was a Nazi U-boat that, in breach of the surrender, escaped to Argentina in 1945. There was a book about it.
The commander, Heinz Schäffer, published a book in 1952 called U-boat 977 about his journey May 10 to July 14.

The voyage was a 66-day continuous submerged Schnorchel run, the second longest in the war (after U-978's 68 days).

http://www.uboat.net/boats/u977.htm

Another U-Boat, surrendered in the Mar del Plata, BRAZIL* on 10 July, 1945.

Both boats were subsequently handed over to the USA.


Source: http://www.uboat.net/index.html

*Edited plus added another Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-530
 
#8
I would have been mightily peed off going all that way submerged..?

is it possible to go from the UK to australia without actually surfacing..?
 
#13
FunkyJunky said:
I would have been mightily peed off going all that way submerged..?

is it possible to go from the UK to australia without actually surfacing..?


Easy Peasy - We went around the World THREE times in our bomber.

....So we were told..........



(Co & I had an agreement that, if the cold war balloon went up, we'd save one of our sixteen as our passport to South America. True Dit.)
 
#14
Resolution did 107 days. So thats er...seven into 10 goes one, carry 3, so that makes 37 and seven into 37 goes 5 with two left over. Ah ha! That's 15 and 2/7 weeks.

NAMET 0:0

:D
 

Latest Threads

Top