Long john silver

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by jesse, Sep 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :wave: Anyone watch the 1950 film Treasure Island last Saturday morning? A fcuking classic! that has lost nothing over the years.There was, and is,no bastard living or dead who could have played the role of Long John Silver after Robert Newton."Agahh Jim lad, avast ye swabs" Robert Newton was a townie, not that we ever met , and booze played a big part in his demise.I challange anyone who has seen T.I not to have a favourite sceen or quote. :wink: Remember the Long John jokes? :lol: "Where be your buccaneers Long John?" "On the side of me buccin head" Or," Arggh Jim lad who put the sand in the vasalene ? Did give old Long John a rough passage". :bootyshake: They just don't make 'em like that any more! :king:

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Robert Newton certainly made the character his own. Saw it when it first came out. Don't tell me it's out again? 'Where's the cheese?'

3. Ben Gunn.... Many a night I've dreamt of cheese....toasted mostly! :wink:

4. Who'd be the better Pirate then me hearties....Johnny Depp or Robert Newton.. Arghh? :pirate:

5. Did you wake up covered in cream? :roll: 8O

6. Wished to fcuk I did, Dissapointing day in the annuls of Naval history yesterday was...and better for not being remembered :wink: Lots of brown stuff but no cream!

7. No competition in my opinion.

I may be a generation behind jesse and (granny), but Robert Newton is The Film Pirate.

8. I"ve had me rum, and I"ve had me baccy, its Thursday so its your turn in the barrel Jim lad!

9. :? This should maybe be on the History Forum; but it ties in with the thread. One of the pirates in T.I. was Isirial Hands. Was there a real life Isrial Hands involved in the Mutiny on the Bounty? 8O :?:

10. Jesse, I am an old f*rt tis true, but the friggin Bounty, I think we should ask Granny. 8O :D :wink:

11. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

My mate Israel Hands was 2 i/c to Edward Teach, known as 'Blackbeard'. He was eventually given command of a captured vessel, the 'Adventure.
    This was in 1718 and I was only a bit of a lad but I remember it well.
    The Bounty episode was in 1789 by which time my mate 'Issy' was long gone. (with thanks to the net!)
    Can I go back to sleep now?

12. Granny...Ave you seen "Blind Pugh".. only I got this ere Black Spot! :wink:

13. Are you sure its black, and where is it?
    If its in your hand you got trouble.
    If its in your nicks you got worse trouble 8O :oops:

14. Tis definately black...I've definately got it...And I got it in the aaaarrrrgggh

15. I take it that last bit was meant to say Argonaut, yes I fell over badly on her as well. :oops: :wink:

16. Sorry Jason was meant to read "aaggghhh!"

17. Dont remember Nelson but his dad was a good hand!