Long distance relationships in the navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by QUATE8203, Jan 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know some people will probably be thinking that it is not a good idea and I probably should not keep the relationship going once in the Navy, but thats not going to happen so... Has anyone experience is this situation? I know we get like 6 weeks paid leave each year, but how about weekends or long weekends where you can go home? Are there many chances for this?

Any other advice/info appreciated, cheers./

2. How old are you?

3. Actually, once you join the navy you're not allowed to leave your ship except on main leave periods. No chance of forming a relationship with anyone who's not serving on your ship.

Why do you think the navy is referred to as rum, bum and baccy? The problem is they've stopped the tot and you're not permitted to smoke onboard anymore. Why do you think they've let wrens go to sea?

4. Bin him mate.

5. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

No don't tell me it's true love. You've known each other for 3 weeks and she let's you do her up the ricker.
    What is this Dear Esther or summat?

6. It'll either work or won't it just depends on the two people involved.

7. Christ the site's turned into a "Dear Diedre".

FFS, Having a relationship in the RN is no diferent. All women are snakes with tits", (Waits for the incoming). :lol: Treat delicately and they'll still be there when you get back, if not you've dropped a bollock somewhere.

For info I have never worked in a welfare role, you may be able to tell!!!!! :lol:

Joking aside. Any relationship is all about trust. If you can't trust a partner then bin them. Only end in tears as they say.

Myself, married 35+ years, all but the last 16 in the mob. Again trust!!!!

8. Shouldn't be a problem. I've known people in the RN who have managed to maintain extremely faithful relationships throughout long periods of separation; sometimes up to a dozen at a time.

9. Its not so much the trust factor and worrying about cheating, more about getting to see her ect.

When not at sea you could go home on weekends right?

10. Right, unless you are duty part of the watch on board which is normally one weekend in four.

11. This question really just comes down to what you want in life mate.

If its her then maybe look into the RNR/RMR/TA. If its RN then if she sticks around, bonus (or not). If you don't work out once you are in then move on.

You may also find it "hard" if your mates are having fun on a run ashore whilst you are thinking of your girlfriend.

12. I used to work for a chief who had convinced his Mrs(who lived up the line) that he was duty every other weekend. This allowed him to spend quality time with his guzz "aunty" :D

13. I lost count of the number of naval wives I nobbed when I was on leave from the army in Plymouth. Most of them lived in St Budeax or Crownhill with one notable exeption which was a woman married to the MEO of HMS Beaver and lived in Hartly. Army wives were not much different and I put it all down to oppertunity - their husbands are away for a long time so they took advantage of the oppertunity. I don't what its like now but Union street used to have a significant number of naval wives out on the pull most weekends in the early and mid 80s.
    gawd bless 'em

14. Have you read the book "How to win friends and influence people"?

Did they also have a bit of card in the window with "OMO" on it?

Bet you smiled at the pictures on the bedside table.

15. Honestly you lot what are you like! you give a real debauched view of navy life and the truth is for most of you chance would be a fine thing!! You know what they say them that talk about it most get it least. :D

A navy parter will be true to her/his OH for as long as she believes he/she is being true back. Tis the same in civie street and the world over.

One thing for sure its a lot harder to be left at home than it is to be the one serving and she/he really would need to love you to make the sacrifices necessary. And don't even start me on on board relationships a big no no :evil: unless your one of those randy ratings with no morals and no ambition and most wrens have a little more self respect than some of you lot give them credit for!!

Joking apart though you will have enough time to see your chosen lovely and build a perfectly happy relationship if you both want it to work it will. Its not so much how often you are together but how you spend that time and how well you communicate when you are apart. Tougher on submarines but I know a few couples who have and do make that work for them as well

Good luck 8)

O yeah and waiting for incoming on most of the above - and used to ming mong on RP so do your worst matelots :lol:

16. I'm sure we'd all like to see her ect, but I must admit I've never heard it called that before.

17. The chief stoker on board my last ship had a few aunties lol

18. So I heard and they were all the in MCR. :lol: :p