Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Long Bar

The Long bar was indeed next to the PR.It has since been made a part of the 'open plan' PR and no longer exists. There is some confusion here as for a very short period the Tube (just down from Diamond Lil's ) was aslo known as the long bar. This was when the tube had tables out side.
Jesters at the time was a gents outfitter.
Going towards stonehouse brewery on the opposite side of the road to Boobs you has from the start :-
The scorpio club (round the back of union st, later became ziggys), where the Conservatory is now was a taxi office(on the corner opposite two trees)
Further along you had Roxy's (top floor up a few flights of wooden stairs) later bacame Twos Up and was closed when a guy was killed by the bouncers. Next was the chineese takeaway.Next was the Clipper(now a jock theme pub :cry: ) Turning into the octagen you then had a kebab/burger place. Then It was the Ace of Clubs (full of hookers) with the Astoria club above it (late drinking) then past the Taxi rank you had the Antelope on the corner (now Hackney carriage ) past that was Diamond Lil's (Ronnie potter on the organ) then the Tube/long bar (for short time only ) then was Castaway 2001,(latter Avis's, pennies bar, Bierkeller) all infact one old warehouse with several doors turned into varios clubs) next was the Star. Had 2 levels pool table in the top level.They since knocked the wall through into the warehouse and re-named it the Street. Next was The Circus tavern (hooker bar) was on 2 levels again. Now a takeaway. Next was the Malthouse which was next door to the theater. past the theater and round the corner was the Pheonix. Going down the St , past the Soverign on the right you would eventually arrive at the Star of the West (scrumpy) and the Mechanics arms and Stonehose vaults round the corner.
This was when the Brewery was still at the end of the Street as was Doc Price the tattoo guy . At the very end was the the Brewery Tap.
On the other side from the top was the PR, cross the road to the Two trees (which then had a lounge and a bar, now open plan) then a cinema (later Monroes, then Blondes) the Boobs (hooray) now burnt down.Nothing much now till Reflections night club (opposite the theater) then on the corner a greasy cafe onto J Fenneck naval tailor down to the Soverign finally ending up at the row of shops opposite the Brewery , long since gone

end ex

tommorow I might do the Barbican !

If you are very old you will remeber the old railway bridge than ran by the Two trees. One of the 7 wonders of old Plymouth. Pulled down in 73/74

I visited Guz a few years back, first since around 1966 (I was very young then), with the railway bridge gone the street just wasn't the same. When it was standing you knew exactly where the street started.

Two Trees was that where the Grab a Granny Nights were held, (every night from memory), whats more worrying is that the "Grannies were in the main in their mid 40's, mere youngsters to me now a days.

The Chapel - Oh My God ! How did I ever forget that place. Yes, scantily clad and great believers in audience participation as I recall.

What a hoot

uncle_ho said:
The Long bar was indeed next to the PR.It has since been made a part of the 'open plan' PR and no longer exists. There is some confusion here as for a very short period the Tube (just down from Diamond Lil's ) was aslo known as the long bar. This was when the tube had tables out side.
Jesters at the time was a gents outfitter.
Going towards stonehouse brewery on the opposite side of the road to Boobs you has from the start :-
The scorpio club (round the back of union st, later became ziggys), where the Conservatory is now was a taxi office(on the corner opposite two trees)
Further along you had Roxy's (top floor up a few flights of wooden stairs) later bacame Twos Up and was closed when a guy was killed by the bouncers. Next was the chineese takeaway.Next was the Clipper(now a jock theme pub :cry: ) Turning into the octagen you then had a kebab/burger place. Then It was the Ace of Clubs (full of hookers) with the Astoria club above it (late drinking) then past the Taxi rank you had the Antelope on the corner (now Hackney carriage ) past that was Diamond Lil's (Ronnie potter on the organ) then the Tube/long bar (for short time only ) then was Castaway 2001,(latter Avis's, pennies bar, Bierkeller) all infact one old warehouse with several doors turned into varios clubs) next was the Star. Had 2 levels pool table in the top level.They since knocked the wall through into the warehouse and re-named it the Street. Next was The Circus tavern (hooker bar) was on 2 levels again. Now a takeaway. Next was the Malthouse which was next door to the theater. past the theater and round the corner was the Pheonix. Going down the St , past the Soverign on the right you would eventually arrive at the Star of the West (scrumpy) and the Mechanics arms and Stonehose vaults round the corner.
This was when the Brewery was still at the end of the Street as was Doc Price the tattoo guy . At the very end was the the Brewery Tap.
On the other side from the top was the PR, cross the road to the Two trees (which then had a lounge and a bar, now open plan) then a cinema (later Monroes, then Blondes) the Boobs (hooray) now burnt down.Nothing much now till Reflections night club (opposite the theater) then on the corner a greasy cafe onto J Fenneck naval tailor down to the Soverign finally ending up at the row of shops opposite the Brewery , long since gone

end ex

tommorow I might do the Barbican !

I think that you will find that we will all cone up with different location for various establishments on union straza at different times, anyone remember where and when the London bars and tiffs in town had been for instance

dt018a9667 said:
I think that you will find that we will all cone up with different location for various establishments on union straza at different times, anyone remember where and when the London bars and tiffs in town had been for instance

Showing your age there dt!!

London Bar/ Piccadily Lounge/ Bier Kellar

Tiffs in Town

Royal Sovereign - (refused entry as a 17 yr old Tiff)

All there 1973/74

Along with the rail bridge by the 2 twigs

Salty-Dog said:
dt018a9667 said:

Showing your age there dt!!

London Bar/ Piccadily Lounge/ Bier Kellar

Tiffs in Town

Royal Sovereign - (refused entry as a 17 yr old Tiff)

All there 1973/74

Along with the rail bridge by the 2 twigs

But what happy days and no modern day thugs

does anyone remember signing in as a fake member to the futurama pool club in unionstraza after 3pm closing for afternoon drinkies? Above the amusement arcade.

Lingyai said:
does anyone remember signing in as a fake member to the futurama pool club in unionstraza after 3pm closing for afternoon drinkies? Above the amusement arcade.

Not me never think of such a thing :oops:

Don't I remember Boobs as The Metro at some stage? The Roxy was the Birdcage. Saw some good bands at Castaways on the strip. Lil's was at the back of the Castle Tavern if my memory serves. And there was an old amusements place next door, where 2 lads off the Galatea shot one another with .22 shells one balmy day. Safe places! Apparently the chain that was supposed to keep the rifle pointing down the range was too long!

Being an old RNH inmate, the place to be was over the river at the Mount Edgecumbe on a Sunday lunchtime. It's a bit of a surprise that I remember it at all, but I do have some lucid moments!

come_the_day said:
Don't I remember Boobs as The Metro at some stage? The Roxy was the Birdcage. Saw some good bands at Castaways on the strip. Lil's was at the back of the Castle Tavern if my memory serves. And there was an old amusements place next door, where 2 lads off the Galatea shot one another with .22 shells one balmy day. Safe places! Apparently the chain that was supposed to keep the rifle pointing down the range was too long!

Being an old RNH inmate, the place to be was over the river at the Mount Edgecumbe on a Sunday lunchtime. It's a bit of a surprise that I remember it at all, but I do have some lucid moments!

Yes we used to go over to the Edgecumbe arms (I am sure that’s what it was called, large pink? Pub next to mash something or the other boat yard) while on Rhyl/Brighton, if I remember right it was some sort of folk music thing in the back room

Edgcumbe arms next to Mashford's Boatyard
anyone remember a Booty sargeant that played guitar there on Sunday lunchtime ?
G

saw Shep twice, Once at Dolphin and once at the Geneva Club (RNH Plymouth ) both cracking sets
Also did a write up for The Wharf Gazette( Tavistock) on him a few years ago while doing volunteer work as an Editorial Assistant !
G

Latest Threads