Long Bar

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Don't I remember Boobs as The Metro at some stage? The Roxy was the Birdcage. Saw some good bands at Castaways on the strip. Lil's was at the back of the Castle Tavern if my memory serves. And there was an old amusements place next door, where 2 lads off the Galatea shot one another with .22 shells one balmy day. Safe places! Apparently the chain that was supposed to keep the rifle pointing down the range was too long!

Being an old RNH inmate, the place to be was over the river at the Mount Edgecumbe on a Sunday lunchtime. It's a bit of a surprise that I remember it at all, but I do have some lucid moments!
 

dt018a9667

War Hero
come_the_day said:
Don't I remember Boobs as The Metro at some stage? The Roxy was the Birdcage. Saw some good bands at Castaways on the strip. Lil's was at the back of the Castle Tavern if my memory serves. And there was an old amusements place next door, where 2 lads off the Galatea shot one another with .22 shells one balmy day. Safe places! Apparently the chain that was supposed to keep the rifle pointing down the range was too long!

Being an old RNH inmate, the place to be was over the river at the Mount Edgecumbe on a Sunday lunchtime. It's a bit of a surprise that I remember it at all, but I do have some lucid moments!

Yes we used to go over to the Edgecumbe arms (I am sure that’s what it was called, large pink? Pub next to mash something or the other boat yard) while on Rhyl/Brighton, if I remember right it was some sort of folk music thing in the back room
 

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
Edgcumbe arms next to Mashford's Boatyard
anyone remember a Booty sargeant that played guitar there on Sunday lunchtime ?
G
 

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
saw Shep twice, Once at Dolphin and once at the Geneva Club (RNH Plymouth ) both cracking sets
Also did a write up for The Wharf Gazette( Tavistock) on him a few years ago while doing volunteer work as an Editorial Assistant !
G
 

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Shep Woolley played a charity evening at the Institute of Naval Medicine a few months ago and he's as good as ever. He was talking about going to do an Australian tour, so the boy's doing pretty well all round, it would seem.
 

diesel

Lantern Swinger
Saw Shep Wooley in Hong Kong at the Aberdeen Boat Club a couple of years back, we were the last to leave the bar after the show. I also heard he was here recently but missed him. He was probably on his way to Oz.
 

Baggsy

Newbie
Sad to say the Long bar is long gone. It was next to the PR which is now an 80's bar and upstairs which used to be refrelctions is now a Flares Union Srasse is pretty much dead these days the advent of all towns looking the same has sadly taken its toll!!
 

CheefTiff

Lantern Swinger
I used to have a couple of Shep Woolleys Lp's years ago "Songs of oars and scrubbers" etc but lost them in one of several divorce move outs.

just wondered if anyone knows if you can still get them now but on dvd ?
 

Jack_the_veteran

Midshipman
I remember before all day drinking was around, (when make & mends were still plentiful) we used to taxi it to derrys cross to the hole in the wall for loads of beer tokens, then start in earnest in the PR before going to the two trees, then at closing time on to boobs until 3.15pm, across to futurama pool club (funny didn’t really play pool but the bar was usually well stocked) then up to the co-op for a carry out onto the hoe until the pubs opened again then back to the PR/clipper/london bar/beer kellar, sometimes Lils, and then ending up in boobs again until the 10 to 2 lets see if we can trap by dancing with any girl records came on (mostly failing due to inability to speak syndrome, let alone dance), across to the chinky for take away and wake up with half of it under the pillow, thank god for the Choggy shop. Then get another make & mend and do it all again the next day
 
Jack_the_veteran said:
Oh yes indeedy!, wednesday night bits'n' pieces night (loads of free beer)with "Dennis" the resident DJ (WHO also DJ'd in Commodores afterwards) and thursday night was Miss 'Wet' t-shirt night, Oh what fun seeing iced water being poured down the fronts of nubile young ladies
OMG you have brought back some memories! I feel so old!
 

dt018a9667

War Hero
luglessjoiningshackle said:
Do any of the older members of the fraternity remember evenings spent going to church? Of course I mean 'The Chapel' in Devonport, a great little boozer with the odd scantily clad lady parading around much to the amusement of the assembled matelots!
Nah not me I was a good little boy!!!! I dont think
 

Darb

Lantern Swinger
Rosinacarley,

What made me feel old was the comment earlier

and for those old salts who remember Union Street pre 1985
I had my first introduction to Union Strasse in 1977 :(
 
gizawetofyagoffaskin said:
Rosinacarley,

What made me feel old was the comment earlier

and for those old salts who remember Union Street pre 1985
I had my first introduction to Union Strasse in 1977 :(
Good Grief! I was still at the Convent then! Although when I see clients with birthdates in 1985 I feel positively decripid!
 

imom1406

War Hero
rosinacarley said:
gizawetofyagoffaskin said:
Rosinacarley,

What made me feel old was the comment earlier

and for those old salts who remember Union Street pre 1985
I had my first introduction to Union Strasse in 1977 :(
Good Grief! I was still at the Convent then! Although when I see clients with birthdates in 1985 I feel positively decripid!
Take heart Rosie...you are not alone!!
 

dondon

MIA
dt018a9667 said:
luglessjoiningshackle said:
Do any of the older members of the fraternity remember evenings spent going to church? Of course I mean 'The Chapel' in Devonport, a great little boozer with the odd scantily clad lady parading around much to the amusement of the assembled matelots!
Nah not me I was a good little boy!!!! I dont think
Had a few good runs that included a couple of pints in the Chapel , it's now a Co-op shop , & the Talbert in Union Straza was a good watering hole , sadly now a Talbert car dealership , & the Blue Monkey up in Higher St Budeaux burnt down a few weeks ago although its been closed for a couple of years anyway , as for the Tralawney , well its still a shit tip , dont go in there anymore , :roll: :oops:
 

weejock28

Midshipman
Bernoulli said:
These days, the strip is pretty much dead west of the Octagon. There are a couple of places limping on, but they are just tawdry junky's boozers.
There is a Long Bar in Dubai. It is on the road that leads up to the World Trade Centre.
I REMEMBER THE ANTELOPE, AND CASTAWAYS,
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top