Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Long Bar

Oh yes indeedy!, wednesday night bits'n' pieces night (loads of free beer)with "Dennis" the resident DJ (WHO also DJ'd in Commodores afterwards) and thursday night was Miss 'Wet' t-shirt night, Oh what fun seeing iced water being poured down the fronts of nubile young ladies

1. Long bar was deffo next to the Prince Regent.
2. Used to love going into the London bars next to Diamond Lils.
3. The Chapel was great fun, especially on Sunday lunchtimes with the strippers.
4. The Brown Bear burnt down last year, around October I think.
5. Boobs used to the place to be in the early to mid 80's.

I am currently based in Devonport and the strip is almost unrecognisable nowadays. I rarely venture down there as its all pose and shifty as feck.

Boobs burnt down in mysterious circs. NOT. Some meathead bouncer (bar owner) from my gym and his training partner (jock psycho) had a barney in the heads and Jock stomped him to death. A short time after it mysteriously burned down........ From what I remember of the carpet in boobs it must have burned like otto fuel.......
No mention yet of the pub close to the corner of the octagon with all the ships crests and photos in......... Come on, starter for ten..... my memory fails me

These days, the strip is pretty much dead west of the Octagon. There are a couple of places limping on, but they are just tawdry junky's boozers.
There is a Long Bar in Dubai. It is on the road that leads up to the World Trade Centre.

I remember the Long Bar on Union Street and the Chapel in Devonport, Ednesday afternoons after the rugby entailed the Fleet Club, the Brown Bear and then the Chapel. Probably even remember 'Graybags' being in there, although not 'scantily clad', but then ....

Lingyai said:
No mention yet of the pub close to the corner of the octagon with all the ships crests and photos in......... Come on, starter for ten..... my memory fails me

Think that was "The Antelope" which was near the taxi rank in the Octogan, or it could have been 'The Sydenham' which is now known as "The Clipper" the Antelope was a right spit and sawdust pub.

Guzz was fantastic in the early to mid-eighties and was always mobbed with drunken matelots Mon-Thu every week. Chavs seem to be the order of the day down there now and I rarely venture anywhere near Union Strazzer as its just too much aggravation.

Nasty story with regards to Boobs. Great club that was and remember feeding the fish in the upstairs bar where you put your jacket or got some dodgy food.

Guz in the '60's, you didn't need to leave Union Strass for anything, many happy hours trying to drink a pint in every pub in one session, never did manage it, nor meet anyone who had, after each valiant effort it was a fast black back to the Dockyard gate and a Tiddly Oggie from the caravan set up there.
Was it the Paramount, a Dance Hall set on the first floor of the Antelope, or maybe next door. The Bouncers used to stand on the landings and push you down each flight of stairs, if you were really lucky the Crushers were waiting on the pavement for you.
In those days I don't believe Pompey had anything as good as Union Street.

Is The United Services still there ? A scrummpy Pub that wasted so many, flagstone floors.
And Ma's the restaraunt on the right hand side of the street when facing west, owned by an eldely Malteezr, Luved by one and all.
As a Mother figure I must add. Never did any reall business till the pubs kicked out them Steak and chips wuz order of the day, and if you wheren't in quick they ya'd hang around for second sitting.
john

brigham600 said:
Lingyai said:

Think that was "The Antelope" which was near the taxi rank in the Octogan, or it could have been 'The Sydenham' which is now known as "The Clipper" the Antelope was a right spit and sawdust pub..

Nasty story with regards to Boobs. Great club that was and remember feeding the fish in the upstairs bar where you put your jacket or got some dodgy food.
Cheers mate, the clipper was the name I was looking for, probably the smokiest pub in Guzz. As for boobs, I hadn't set foot in there for years (can't seem to get that drunk anymore), but even so, it was still a shame to see such a historical Jack haunt disappear.
You can't beat some of the stupid birds down the stip either. I was working on the door of the well repected Diamond Lil's for a while and there were 2 lesbian rough birds that used to be regulars who I got to know well, one looked like Bet Midler and her pash was a skinhead with tattoos (actualy quite pretty despite that).
Anyway, after closing one night we were having a lock in and these two decide to ask me if I will make the skinhead pregnant so they could have a kid? The skinhead was very honest and said (with a straight face) "I have to tell you though that I sometimes work in the Millbay area as a prostitute, but you don't need to worry about that there AIDS or anything else cos I always has a bath afterwards" !!!!!!!!!!
Stop press: saw the skinhead a couple of years ago in another pub and although she looks like a drug addict she is still alive. So there it is, for anyone worried about HIV,forget safe sex, just have a bath as recommended by the janner medical institute.

This thread brings back some great cherished memories (1985-1990).

The chapel was great, I tapped off with one of the Maltese twins that worked behind the bar.

Boobs was allways the last place on most runs ashore in Union st.

and I will nvere forget Lil's one night when, the girl on stage stripping slipped over and twisted her knee only to be substituted by a volunteer slapper from the crowd.

Used to go to the Jazz bar and gin distillery down the barbican on quieter nights out, anyone remember those?

This thread brings back some great cherished memories (1985-1990).

The chapel was great, I tapped off with one of the Maltese twins that worked behind the bar.

Boobs was allways the last place on most runs ashore in Union st.

and I will nvere forget Lil's one night when, the girl on stage stripping slipped over and twisted her knee only to be substituted by a volunteer slapper from the crowd.

Used to go to the Jazz bar and gin distillery down the barbican on quieter nights out, anyone remember those?

Latest Threads