Londonderry's part in the Battle of the Atlantic

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Oct 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. Yup, worth seeing, next weeks looks to be interesting

3. Theres a very good Maritime Museum in Greencastle on the Foyle. They have a very good section on the Battle of the Atlantic. Interesting little fact. The Foyle Pilots who brought the ships up and down the river were mostly based in Eire.They were all awarded the Atlantic Star at the end of the war.

4. Certainly enjoyed the program, fascinating to see the squid and loaded too, hats off to the dive team.

5. Just annoying that the locals call it Londonderry but the guy presenting it calls it Derry.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

6. Not all the locals call it Londonderry.....

7. I'm sure that some of them don't, but that's it's name isn't it? Besides, the guy he was talking to did call it Londonderry.

8. Quite a lot of people don't think it should be called Londonderry, and that it's actual name is Derry....

9. Just looked the naming of Londonderry/Derry up on Wikipedia and it looks like a bit of a minefield, so I'm going to knock it on the head AtG.

10. I watched the prog, was very intresting, especially the bit about the US having a base before they entered the war "full-time". However the incidental music during the dives was a huge distraction - its a documentary, Tristran - you dont need incidental music.

BH

11. Depends which foot you kick with...

12. Seaweed

13. Yep, I noticed that too - wondered what an RAF Wren was - thought it might be a tame bird they'd caught!

Mind you, that Type 20 boat was a bit naughty, shame there isn't one on the surface for us to see.

14. U2540.jpg Type 21 still afloat in Germany.

15. Seaweed

^ How did they get away with that?

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

17. Every day a schoolday! Wonder why they didn't mention that on the documentary - mind you, that's a Type XXI and they WERE talking about a Type XX.