Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Marathon 2010

soleil

War Hero

JonnoJonno

Banned
Official cheerleaders are here finally. They weren't there for us at the start because they passed a KFC on Saturday evening and refused to leave.

tommo

War Hero
Day 189

Race day! End of week 27

Got little sleep and had to be up go from West Hamstead where I was staying with a friend. Got the tubes and train to Blackheath (free travel for runners of the marathon). Trains were packed and I was surrounded by fat smelly people which wasn't nice.

As we got to the start it started to rain although still warm. I got there early which was a good job as waiting for the toilets was a nightmare. Once I had done my business, I gave my bag to be put on the lorry and went to the starting point. I found the relevant point for the pace I planned my race on running.

I was trying keep happy thoughts up etc making sure my mental state in a good place. We slowly moved to the actual start it was crammed at the blue start. 2 mins and a few secs after the official start I crossed the line! That's when the race started and off I went, trying to run my own pace I could see the 8 mile pacemaker not far in front and I thought that was ideal if I kept with him in my sights I'd be happy. Not long after the 1st mile we ended up almost stopping due to some reason, that started to play havic with my mental thoughts. Back on and we cracked eventually meeting up with red and green start racers.

3 miles came pace was good and then crack! My knee went! Great I thought! I'll kept going. 5 miles and my time was alright, 6 miles and that's when needed to pull over to the side and take a leak! It was warm and I was taking alot of water on board, keeping me hydrated was tough as it was hot running in the warm/hot temp.

My pace was already gone now for my first plan so I thought right under 4 hours it is then! My breathing was good knee was agony. Then about 9 miles my groin muscle (the long one pinged too) I wasn't having much luck. Not sure what caused it but having to keep changing pace due to catching slow runners up and having to over take them while bumping into others wasn't helping followed dodging all the thousands of water bottles disgarded.

As I was running I could here people cheering me on. "Come on Tommo, good job!" I had my ipod just low enough to hear them. The route was strange going round abouts getting pushed into the roundabouts and the fences as we went. I kept postive and kept running.

Weather was still warm and hot and it did spit a little but that was it for a brief moment. I made use of the run through showers. Still taking on water and gels and lucozade remembering to pour water over me not the lucozade as it would get sticky.

My pace was still around the 9 mins putting up with the pain right up until 20 mile mark, that's when the plan B went completly Pete Tong! My ipod had been knocked so many times the holder broke and the ipod fell on the deck. "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo" I had to stop pick it up, couldn't leave it behind and that was it, cramp and my knne/groin injuries really did put me in pain! I got my phone out to call my support but couldn't get through cos of bad signal and they were travelling by tube at that point as well. So I started to limp, I actually started to cry, my mental state went from good and postive to the worst. 27 weeks gone wasted! With phone in my hand I tried to shake of the cramp and pain.

About 500m down the road, I picked my self up and dug deep! I'm not going to let myself down or anyone! I got on and went to the pace I could cope with. My fitness was fine, breathing was fine, but legs were gone, I dragged my self through the miles, kept thinking to myself only 5 and half miles to go. The last lot of miles did seem sooooo long!

It hurt, I had no Ipod to take mind off the pain. The crowds still cheering my name as I went past. As I came to 23 miles I was thinking 3 miles come on I can do this, pace and plans were out the window get your self home! Miles felt longer and longer, I got through the 26 mile mark and there was still 600m to go the longest 600m of my running life. I gave it as large as I could! I saw the line and I got across it. I hurt but I wasn't out of breathe, I recovered very quickly from the 26.2 miles but my legs were in so much pain, I had to keep em moving even when they wanted to tag the tag off, and the photo's, I kept them moving the best. Then it was longest walk to pick up my bag and to the meeting point.

So that was basically my race and how it went.

Do I feel slightly gutted yes. I could've nailed under 4 but I didn't. However, I did complete my goal, I did beat the 4 hours 30 min time I applied with so 2 of the important goals I achieved.

In October I wouldn't have thought it was possible. I am a marathon runner! I am an endurance runner! I raised money for a deserving charity and I feel good.

My time was 4 hours 23 mins not bad for someone who suffered I think :D

JonnoJonno

Banned
Well done Tommo!

It should mean more to you that you completed it despite all the challenges that you encountered. That is far more telling of your determination than a quick time or a problem-free race plan.

Hope the recovery goes well, and you get to have a couple of beers soon!

soleil

War Hero
I am speechless with admiration; so many people would have given up once the physical niggles kicked in, but you dug deep and had the guts to keep going; this speaks volumes about you, it really does.

I shall miss this thread and your daily updates.

PS Doing it again next year?

sweetpea

War Hero
Tommo,

Congratulations. You deserve a standing ovation :clap: followed by three cheers!
Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!

SP.

You certainly know how to do it the hard way, Tommo. It was a cracking result, especially with everything you had to overcome. So don't beat yourself up. You did it and I'm lost in admiration!

BZ Tommo

Top effort and a good result you finished.

You will never get a good time for the London with so many discarded bottles and prats elbowing each other which I warned you about. We even get that on long distance walks/challenges.

Well I donated a while back if you finished or not you deserved it for all the miserable nights out training. Which I know all about from the past.

Well done.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: UK exports of trainers sprint to glory ahead of London Marathon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns targets eighth London Marathon MoD News 0
gregleeds London Marathon Health & Fitness 3
R Royal Marines Charitable Trust London Marathon 2012 The Corps 1
N Im running the London Marathon.........Please sponsor me if you can !! Charity 0
finknottle London half-marathon speed-march The Corps 0
soleil Ipswich Evening Star: "Royal Marine Carl Sets London Marathon World Record" The Corps 9
B Phil Packer Doing the London Marathon! Current Affairs 4
T Navy chap in the London marathon Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS Attorney General speech at the London Panel Induction Event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London Hammersmith tobacco company overlooks packaging obligations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport for London settlement letter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government bailout to keep London transport running MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London Borough of Croydon: lead reviewer appointment letter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government confirms rapid review into London Borough of Croydon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS West London burglar jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary meets Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Southampton to London Pipeline Project granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northamptonshire woman fined after north London waste crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Airways doubles up in Pakistan – announcing direct flights from Lahore to London Heathrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital Secretary launches National Data Strategy at London Tech Week's Global Leaders Innovation Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Aussie and Kiwi tech companies won’t miss London Tech Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London stalker has his sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vulnerable victims in London and Kent to be given new courtroom protections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office Minister visits London charity supporting Spanish and Portuguese speakers to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Asia to attend ASEAN Day celebrations in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lubavitch Yeshiva Ketanah of London: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £15 million of cocaine seized by Border Force at London Gateway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport for London extraordinary funding and financing update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Eurostar treaties open up direct travel from Amsterdam to London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity Commission concludes inquiry prompted by dispute at South London charity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Called-in decision: land at 43/45 and 39/41 Notting Hill Gate and 161-237 (odd), Kensington Church Street, London (ref: 3225884 – 25 June 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London woman imprisoned for longer after firearms found at her flat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London’s COVID-19 Transition Board meets for the first time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homes England agrees funding packages worth £300m to accelerate delivery of 20,000 London homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at VIP trading estate and industrial estate, Anchor and Hope Lane, London SE7 7TE (ref: 3233585 – 3 June 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North London restaurateur banned for under-declaring tax MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plans announced for London’s Covid-19 recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport for London extraordinary funding and financing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government grants Transport for London funding package MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London rapist has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: Burgess Business Park, Parkhouse Street, London SE5 7TJ (ref: 3225548 - 29 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for London man who kidnapped and sexually abused eight-year-old boy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London Plan: letter from the Secretary of State for Housing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at 10 King Henry’s Road, London, NW3 3RP (ref: 3219239 - 12 March 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy London seminar: Bystander to Participant – The Victim Journey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London pioneers first ‘virtual power station’ MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Academy London seminar: A story of crime and justice: how to engage effectively with the media MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London Steiner School: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Darul Uloom London: warning notice MoD News 0