London Accommodation?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Mans, Sep 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently joined the RNR as an officer cadet, and will be moving to London in September 2016 for a job. Does anyone know if there is any accommodation in or around London that the Navy rents out? I assume if there is that RN go ahead of RNR.

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

No service accommodation at all for London navy types - nice try though!

What happens now is that personnel will be allocated a flat while in London, and people in temporarily may end up in a very remote mess. Bear in mind that mess accommodation is at a premium now and as such unless you were on an FTRS posting or mobilised, you would have zero chance of getting it.

Best bet for london is something like spareroom.co.uk or similar, and be prepared to spend a shedload of money renting. In all seriousness, its probably cheaper to live out and commute in, or be prepared for a long time living in a shed.

3. Service job or civilian?
    If the former PT, as ever, has the handle on things.
    If the latter the RN could not care less.

However this might be worth a look, in the short term: http://www.ujclub.co.uk/

4. Should've joined the HAC.

They own a row of 18th century terraces on Bunhill Row which are used as accommodation for the PSIs, with the remainder of the flats rented out (below market rate) to members of the unit. I have been monumentally drunk in most of them.

There is also basic hotel accommodation in Armoury House.

Or if you're really desperate it has not been entirely unheard of for lads to set up home on a camp bed in the locker room for extended periods.

;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks all. Knew it was likely a long shot.

Branch-Hopper - civilian