LOL, ROFL, PMSL etc

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Blackrat, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I couldn't give a stuff if this thread has been done before. If it has, i'm doing it again.

I hate these abbreviations . Lol? Fuck off. Utter bollocks. Why is it that people resort to putting this stuff after they have written something. I'll give you an example or two.

"That woz funny bruv. PMSL"

"You best watch it or i'll give you bear tumps innit. Lol!"

People that use these bloody abbreviations should be horsewhipped.

Seeing as they like this sort of thing, i've made my own one up:

FOYCASUA

What does it mean? Fuck Off You Cunt And Stop Using Abbreviations.

Rant over. I'm off to beat the mess waiter for spilling my Port.

2. ROFLCOPTR ? :p

3. Blackrat

I will find you Trigger and remove your eyes with an ice cream scoop. :D

4. :D

Sorry, i had to say it. But yes, most of my generation uses this crud. I personally cant stand it. Apart from the occasionall ' LOL ' ;)

5. Couldn't agree more Blackrat. The oddest thing to me is that my mum (1932 vintage) uses text-speak, but her OWN text-speak.

"Cn yu get Rths bdaycd 4 me lve"

Hmm...

I'm such a dull twat I even use apostrophes when I text.

Thanks for FOYCASUA though.

M8.

6. As Wet Blobby can testify my TXTing skills are gash and they will remain so.
    Not only do I detest LOL, ROFL etc, but even the mere act of using a mobile phone brings me out in a cold sweat.
    I'm more the '20p in my pocket in case of the need to make an emergency phone call from a RED GENERAL POST OFFICE PHONE BOX if you please' type of chap. :D
    Love these emoticons though. :lol:

7. That is Telegramese, used to reduce the letter count and thus the cost of telegrams back in the dark ages. It was extensively used in business until the advent of the now defunct Telex machine

8. The thing is though, abbreviations are hardly new, blackrat being of a khaki persuasion will have his own if he thinks about them, but a few from my time in a blue suit that come to mind:
    DSMSMR
    DSM I'm RDP
    ROMFT
    STFU

9. And those sparkers surely have to take some blame/credit:

i.e. (or is it e.g?): SOS CU OM

etc.

K

:wink:

10. Research would suggest that you are a ROFLCOP.

11. LOL :D

12. What about LSMMTUAFIMC?..........

Laughing so much my turban unravels and falls in my curry.

13. Good post Blackrat.

I have made it a personal mission of mine to remove any friends on Facebook who use any of these ridiculous abbreviations. I also don't understand why they are necessary. For example, if i crack a joke, it's obviously a joke. Why is there a need to put a 'LOL' at the end?

On a similar note, I also go out of my way to ensure all my text messages have correct grammar even if it means having to send 3 texts instead of 2. It's not really that much hassle writing 'you' instead of 'u' now is it.

Now I hope I haven't made any errors in this post. 'LOL'.

14. And a new one I heard a few weeks ago - ROTFL. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that under 1% of people who have used this have actually been 'rolling on the floor laughing.'

It seems to be a thing used by 12-25 year olds which is why, when a 26+ year old such as myself uses it, I am instantly thinking "cock."

Sorry, rant over.

15. I think the navy have to take some blame they are trying to abbreviate everything.

16. You are 26, and have only recently come across ROFL!!!!!!!!111!!one

You must have had a very cloistered upbringing.

17. Blackrat

Military ones don't count because they make sense and are useful. I mean, do civvies really "PMSL"? I just piss myself because i can't be arsed to walk to the karzi.

I thought i was a CUNT

18. The two are by no means mutually exclusive.

19. WTF, you're old before your time BR!

My particular "fave" is IMHO, the 'H' in particualr sings faux humility. Got to say though that lol is the exception, I do use it when instant massaging and in informal emails.

Text language derived from the days when text messages were expensive, there is really no excuse for not sending a correctly spent and punctuated text these days...

20. I have ROFLed before, even ROFLTCOPTRed before, but never anywhere near a computer. Never PMSLed though. :roll: