Logistics Personnel

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by chrislkool, May 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, can anyone tell me how the leading hands course works for a Logs (Pers).

I understand that u train at raleigh and then move onto a UPO for 8 months. But would just like some information on wat happens next, what would be the next step into achieving promotion?

2. Hard work and professionalism?

3. Lol well of course.

Just wanting to know about, if you need to serve sea time? before getting leading hand, if so how many years? Is there a taskbook to complete?. Um after 8 months in a shoreside UPO, is that when u go to your first ship? just some little things, i'd like to know about, would be really grateful :) Thanks
  4. You learn to read and write correctly :twisted:
  5. Ensure you get your OPS (Operational Performance Standard) Task Book done every year not leaving it to the last minute, get a sea draft under your belt and actually being able to do the job of a Log(Pers) helps as well surprisingly enough.

If you manage to achieve the above then you may possibly be selected for LH a couple of years down the line, as the black hole for LH's in the Pers world is now disappearing.

Once selected for promotion you will be given a CPD (Common Promotion Date) which will normally be July the following year, to pass your LRCC (Leading Rates Command Course) and PQC (Professional Qualifying Course).

Hope this helps.
  6. Wow thanks a lot :) Really apprectiate it.

Is this the kind of structure for promotion up to WO1., still task books to be completed? etc etc

Sorry haha just really wanting to the know this info.

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

What is imperative for a writer at any stage of his/her career is to master the ability to sit around in civvies drinking tea and scoffing biscuits whilst the UPO is closed everyday in the afternoon for "staff training". You must be able to remain oblivious to the constantly growing queue of people waiting to see the duty writer and get that expression of "I'm much more important than any of you c***s" fixed on your grid. Hope that helps.
  8. The five most important people on any grey funnel line when commissioning are.The scouse Naafi manager,scouse killick of the mess, scouse chef scouse jack dusty and scouse scribes. I rest my case :wink: :wink:
  9. Tiddly that maybe the case for UPO's in Guzz, but the last time I was in shoreside in Pompey we were always open. Although I may try to instigate it when I get shorside next, as I may as well have a reason to be hated rather than just for the branch I'm in!! :wink:
  10. You only have Task Books up to LH, once you are a PO promotion is based on actually being able to do the job and getting the right write up's for selection.
  11. Oh okay lol im only asking cuz im branch changing to logs (pers) and the LT wants me to dig deep for more information.
  12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes mate, my little dig was directed at Drake UPO. :wink:
  13. Chris if/when your branch transfer is accpeted you'll be given a date to join Raleigh for Log(Pers) training, once you complete this you'll spend 8-12 months in a UPO to consolidate your training before your first sea draft.

Annually you'll have an OPS to achieve prior to your annual write up, 30 Nov for AB's and 31 Jan for LH's. Apart from that just ensure you know and can do the job your employed to do. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your killick or PO if you're ever unsure as that's what we're there for.

To be quite honest shippers it's no different from any other branch in that we all have OPS to achieve and if you want to be promoted be good at your job.

Also have you sat down with any scribes and discussed what we actually do day to day, apart from drink tea and eat biscuits?? :wink: :wink:
  14. Thanks a lot, i have already been given course date of 8th June. But i think LT at my current branch wants to make sure that im okay! and know some extra info. Thanks for the help.

I know what the job involves (handling pay, personal records corresponding, security, office procedures, cash management). Im excited. haha
  15. Good luck with your course and if you get Pompey draft say hello if I ever pop in the UPO.