Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logistics Officer - Submariner

ToonPatriot

Badgeman
Hi all. Just a few quick questions. Grateful to anyone who may have the answers. I have certainly looked around the forums and the web, but these have largely been left unanswered.

1. Are you paid your daily submariner pay as well as LSA, or will you only receive submariner pay.

2. As a Submariner LO, will you only serve approx 1 or 2 sea drafts per rank as you would in the surface fleet, or are you utilised more at sea. (please correct my initial statement if incorrect!)

3. I believe that you can actually be the HOD as a S/Lt or Lt. on a Trafalgar class submarine. Is this also the case on an Astute? (I assume it is certainly not the case on a V class - again, correct me if I am wrong.)

4. Am I correct in thinking that you will only serve 3 at sea months at a time (6about)?

5. The big one - How would you persuade your wife that becoming an LO (SM) is a good idea - with money not being a reason!

Thanks in advance :)

TP

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The level of the questions indicates you appear to already have an 'inside source' who has given you information and you are actually trying to verify the info already given from service sources.

Most joiners, for example, don't even know what a HOD or LSA is. Hopefully a currently serving LO SM can give you the technical detail required, in the event you cannot ring one up to ask.

5) Tell her you'll not be able to talk to each other for weeks on end ;)

Best o'luck.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Hi all. Just a few quick questions. Grateful to anyone who may have the answers. I have certainly looked around the forums and the web, but these have largely been left unanswered.

1. Are you paid your daily submariner pay as well as LSA, or will you only receive submariner pay.

2. As a Submariner LO, will you only serve approx 1 or 2 sea drafts per rank as you would in the surface fleet, or are you utilised more at sea. (please correct my initial statement if incorrect!)

3. I believe that you can actually be the HOD as a S/Lt or Lt. on a Trafalgar class submarine. Is this also the case on an Astute? (I assume it is certainly not the case on a V class - again, correct me if I am wrong.)

4. Am I correct in thinking that you will only serve 3 at sea months at a time (6about)?

5. The big one - How would you persuade your wife that becoming an LO (SM) is a good idea - with money not being a reason!

Thanks in advance :)

TP

1. As stated, besides your daily pay as a S/Lt or Lt, you receive RRP(SM) & LSA, neither of which will be especially high because you're a sprog. You'll also receive SM Supplement of £15 a day at sea or £5 alongside.

2. You'll do a shore job after training before undertaking SM training and taking up your first complement job. That will probably be your only SM sea job.

3. Regardless of class you'll be the only LO onboard. You'll be expected to gain your Charge recommend from that job. Should you not manage that then expect to go back to sea.

4. No, you couldn't be more wrong. On a 2 crew V boat you'll be 'on-crew' for between 5 & 6 months, of which 3-4 months will be at sea. On a T or A boat you could be at sea for a few weeks, or 10 or 11 months depending on the tasking.

5. Tell her submariners make better lovers.

ToonPatriot

Badgeman
Thanks guys.
Yes Ninja, I am talking to a lot of people, but always like to add to my knowledge, and this place is great for that!
Pompey, what do you mean by on/off crew?
And damn! I was really hoping that Number 5 would get lots and lots of answers haha.

Just a quick one... How do you tell the 3 classes apart (visually)??? They all look identical to me in pictures! hah

pompeyexpat

War Hero
V boats in the patrol cycle have two crews. This is to ensure maximum availability of the platform. One of those crews are 'on-crew', i.e the crew who are preparing to take the boat to sea. The other crew, having handed over on return from patrol become 'support crew'. This allows personnel to take leave, undertake training etc, until the boat returns from patrol at which point the handover takes place. Both crews will have a LO, although the support crew pusser will be the first name in the frame should their opposite number be unable to sail for any reason.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

V Boat

Astute

T Boat

Not to scale.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg
V, A & T in that order.
Foreplanes on a T are below the water line.
V boats don't have the intercept dome on the fwd casing that you can see on the T & A.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 6

ToonPatriot

Badgeman
Brilliant. Thanks. So I have size, presence/lcation of interceptor dome and the shape of the tower looking object which is called a......
:D

Sumo

War Hero
Answer to your last question, find away to convince her it is her idea you join Boats, otherwise your screwed, or just blame Drafty?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Logistics Officer ( submariner) Training Pipeline and Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
D TMO/Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S RFA Logistics Supply Officer - Day to day duties? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
W Joining as a Logistics Supply officer RFA 5
D Logistics Officer Training Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
E RFA Logistics Officer RFA 1
I Interested in becoming a Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
F Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Logistics Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
ToonPatriot Logistics Officer Career Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
3.2.1...now! Logistics Officer/Pusser - Future Command? Submariners 18
A Joining as an Logistics Officer with foreign education certificates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C RFA Logistics Supply Officer, specific and general questions RFA 1
Pea_in_a_blasted_drum Character of a good Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Prospective logistics officer - who am I responsible for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Joining up as a Logistics Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
R Logistics officer pipeline? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T Logistics Officer Role - Information & Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
S Logistics Officer (SM) and Rating promotion... Submariners 16
S Logistics Officer Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Logistics Officer Degrees/Quals Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H RN Logistics Officer to the Commando Logistics Regiment? The Corps 8
J Logistics Officer Acquaint Course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K Logistics Officer (SM) Role Questions Submariners 3
S Logistics Officer Training Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
W Logistics Officer? The Fleet 12
S Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
M Logistics Officer - Deployment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
tin_tin Logistics Officer Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
O Frank advice required - submarine logistics officer role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
F Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K Logistics Officer ..... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
A Logistics officer training pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T logistics officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
E Promotion prospects for Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Ant_H Views/Opinions on Warfare & Logistics (Officer) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
J Logistics Officer: Will I be Stuck at Port? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
L Logistics officer questions Submariners 11
G LOGISTICS OFFICER - SSBN/SSN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Logistics officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Logistics officer career path prospects The Fleet 3
Random An introduction to the joys of naval logistics aka why the RFA exists RFA 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield logistics provider wins two safety awards MoD News 0
N Phase 2 for a Logistics Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS The NDA will bring its transport and logistics expertise together MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coalition Autonomous Systems – the future of military logistics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Willesden’s landmark yellow cranes make way for new HS2 Rail Logistics Hub MoD News 0