Logistics Officer - Submariner

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ToonPatriot, Apr 24, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. Just a few quick questions. Grateful to anyone who may have the answers. I have certainly looked around the forums and the web, but these have largely been left unanswered.

1. Are you paid your daily submariner pay as well as LSA, or will you only receive submariner pay.

2. As a Submariner LO, will you only serve approx 1 or 2 sea drafts per rank as you would in the surface fleet, or are you utilised more at sea. (please correct my initial statement if incorrect!)

3. I believe that you can actually be the HOD as a S/Lt or Lt. on a Trafalgar class submarine. Is this also the case on an Astute? (I assume it is certainly not the case on a V class - again, correct me if I am wrong.)

4. Am I correct in thinking that you will only serve 3 at sea months at a time (6about)?

5. The big one - How would you persuade your wife that becoming an LO (SM) is a good idea - with money not being a reason!

Thanks in advance :)

TP

• Like Like x 1
  2. LSA + SM Pay

One sea draft.

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

No, up to 11 months away. But it depends on the boats' programmes.

No idea.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The level of the questions indicates you appear to already have an 'inside source' who has given you information and you are actually trying to verify the info already given from service sources.

Most joiners, for example, don't even know what a HOD or LSA is. Hopefully a currently serving LO SM can give you the technical detail required, in the event you cannot ring one up to ask.

5) Tell her you'll not be able to talk to each other for weeks on end ;)

Best o'luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1. As stated, besides your daily pay as a S/Lt or Lt, you receive RRP(SM) & LSA, neither of which will be especially high because you're a sprog. You'll also receive SM Supplement of £15 a day at sea or £5 alongside.

2. You'll do a shore job after training before undertaking SM training and taking up your first complement job. That will probably be your only SM sea job.

3. Regardless of class you'll be the only LO onboard. You'll be expected to gain your Charge recommend from that job. Should you not manage that then expect to go back to sea.

4. No, you couldn't be more wrong. On a 2 crew V boat you'll be 'on-crew' for between 5 & 6 months, of which 3-4 months will be at sea. On a T or A boat you could be at sea for a few weeks, or 10 or 11 months depending on the tasking.

5. Tell her submariners make better lovers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Thanks guys.
    Yes Ninja, I am talking to a lot of people, but always like to add to my knowledge, and this place is great for that!
    Pompey, what do you mean by on/off crew?
    And damn! I was really hoping that Number 5 would get lots and lots of answers haha.

Just a quick one... How do you tell the 3 classes apart (visually)??? They all look identical to me in pictures! hah

6. She will always be able to find you in the dark :rolleyes:

7. V boats in the patrol cycle have two crews. This is to ensure maximum availability of the platform. One of those crews are 'on-crew', i.e the crew who are preparing to take the boat to sea. The other crew, having handed over on return from patrol become 'support crew'. This allows personnel to take leave, undertake training etc, until the boat returns from patrol at which point the handover takes place. Both crews will have a LO, although the support crew pusser will be the first name in the frame should their opposite number be unable to sail for any reason.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

[​IMG]
    V Boat
    [​IMG]
    Astute

[​IMG]
    T Boat

Not to scale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg
    V, A & T in that order.
    Foreplanes on a T are below the water line.
    V boats don't have the intercept dome on the fwd casing that you can see on the T & A.

Attached Files:

10. Ninja_Stoker

Here's a better idea of scale (Astute, T, V):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brilliant. Thanks. So I have size, presence/lcation of interceptor dome and the shape of the tower looking object which is called a......
    :D

12. Fin

13. Couldn't you paint them different colours so that everyone could tell them apart?
    Like:
    pink.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. Answer to your last question, find away to convince her it is her idea you join Boats, otherwise your screwed, or just blame Drafty?

15. That looks like a female crewed boat, was going to say something else but realised this is recruiting :D

16. Ninja_Stoker

You'll probably get shown some pictures of submarines on AIB and get asked to spot the odd one out.

Submarine recognition (2).jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. No stop it no comments about phallic symbols

18. Ninja_Stoker

I'm glad someone cottoned-on.