Logistics Officer Role - Information & Advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Todd_BuLL, Feb 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

My first post on Rum Ration so hopefully you'll be kind and let me off if any of the questions below seem a bit stupid.

Since graduating from university last May i've become increasingly bored/frustrated with the lack of adventure and purpose that office/graduate jobs seem to entail. Having first looked into the RN during university it has now popped back up. After visiting my local AFCO it seems my eyes are too shot to be anything other than a Logistics Officer - colour blind you see!

Now I'm not overly fussed on the role, I just want a career that which is fulfilling and rewarding, which enables me to enjoy myself and support myself and my family financially when the time comes. I feel the RN can provide this, however before committing myself to life as a Logistics Officer I would like to hear the "ins and outs" of what the role and life of a Logistics Officer is truly like.

Can anyone help?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Action Role of the Logistics Officer, is to my mind often criminally understated (much the same as the day to day quiet efficiency typical of the branch). Whereas other branches tend to be a little "me, me, me", Logistics is what either makes a warship function or stops it dead.

In action the Logistics Officer is the person that basically co-ordinates and maintains the fighting efficiency of the ship. When the enemy succeeds in striking home their attack, he or she is the person that helps deal with the damage to personnel and the ship, including the containment, control, recovery, treatment and maintenance of the ability to fight. This is achieved through controlling action or emergency damage control operations. The control and provision of manpower to treat casualties, fight fires and control floods, not to mention the sustenance of the "ammunition" of warfare, which includes provision of bombs, bullets & food.

The Warfare department fights the ship, the Logistics department enables it to fight.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Hi Ninja,

I'm quite sure I replied however it doesn't seem to have posted. Forgive me if this creates a duplicate post!

thank you for your reply and insight. That was the idea I had of the role, so i'm glad to have that confirmed. My only concerns are;
    1) My age (23) - is this too old to progress to a successful career later on in navy life?
    2) The role of LO - does it still offer the benefits of an RN career or is it the navy's version of a desk job? Although a navy desk job with the perks of the navy isn't such a bad thing.

4. Ninja_Stoker

23 is pretty much ideal.

You'll still go to sea (up until you reach the rank of Captain). With the exception of Warfare Officers, seagoing opportunities are limited for Naval Officers - you'll probably get just one seagoing appointment at each rank.
  5. thanks for the advice. looks like i'll book an appointment at my local AFCO for some more info.

appreciate the timely response as well - i was curious as to whether anyone would reply.

if any other Logistic Officers see this post feel free to expand on the points above.

Thanks again
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'm not a Logistics Officer, I will be very very soon though. Not particularly relevant, I am just quite happy with the entire situation.
    Ah, I knew I had a point, age. Everyone looking to go Logs at AIB while I was there were over 22, and from speaking to loads of Logs Officers while researching the branch, it seems as though they tend to join a little older anyway.
  7. on the subject of age again, I'm going in as logistics rating. I'm 27 , there's nothing to state I won't get promoted because of age is there?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  8. Promoted within the rating structure? No.
  9. yeah so up to leading hand etc etc. don't particularly want to be an able rating my whole career hence one of the reasons I joined

10. thanks for the advice guys. I guess the main thing playing on my mind is the fear of making the wrong decision in signing up.

I've not had this idea all my life. You see some people who go cadets etc with a military family who know they won't to join as soon as they leave school. For me it's only developed over the past 2-3 years. I know the videos on the RN site are going to push the positives (which are immense), i'm just cautious as to whether if I join up and then realise It's not what I thought it would be. Perhaps Naive of me yet again. But these are the worries of a youngster thinking of joining up. anyone experienced anything similar?
  11. Ninja_Stoker

If you don't like it, you can simply quit in the first 6 months or so. If you serve beyond a year, you will need to complete a return of service before quitting. In short, if you don't quit in the first year, you'll serve a minimum of around 4 years.
  12. At your age attaining the rate of Leading hand should really not be a problem - providing you meet the overall standards required age will not be an issue.
  13. cheers guzz

14. evening all,

another question from the noob (sorry if this is becoming an annoyance).

Now I know that the logistics officer is an integral element of the Navy, ensuring the Navy is sufficiently equipped, but from a deployment point of view what could a logistics officer expect? Not necessarily from a "Warry" point of view but just in terms of being in that theatre, e.g. Afghanistan supporting the Navy RM/fleet air arm there where appropriate or in other deployments that are more sea based. Just trying to get an idea of the overall scope of the logistics role.

15. I'd say the chance of you doing Afghanistan is pretty small :smile:
  16. ha obviously now, but you get the gist (i hope)

although i must say, recent coverage of the navy's work on the humanitarian (Philippines etc) side of things has really impressed me
  17. Have you tried getting on an acquaint visit?
  18. not as of yet. are they often? i'm going to the careers office next thursday. The coventry one if any viewers are local.
  19. I can't say, I'd say you would need Ninja to come along for that one. I was offered one on a Sandown Class, but due to a change in the ships plan it was called off and I've not been offered another one (despite asking!).
  20. just dawned on me... what a great site this is! Congrats to all the people that but this together and contribute such useful information!