Logistics officer questions

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Labayu, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've looked on this forum and other places on the web and found a little info but to be honest not that much and often contridicting.

I can't do warefare due to age but thinking about logistics.

I get the impression that:

Logistics is actually a hard branch to get into, but if you get through and want to go on subs they'll bite your hand off?

You get trained more indepth and have more duties and responsibilities as a logistics officer on a sub than you would on a ship.

You only get maybe 2 postings to sea though and then get stuck on land?

It's not really logistics, more acounting?

It's not really like navy career page would have you belive.

So is any of that right, wrong, half truth?

What is it really like, what would the career progression/submarine posting opitunties be like, and is it just a "bean counting/damn, wish I'd have applied for warefare a couple years ago" type post?

thanks

2. Also look at being a Supply Officer in the RFA.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Firstly welcome to RR

That's because the RN website is legally binding fact. This is a forum, consisting of opinions, some up to date, some ancient.

Bearing in mind max age for Officers & Royal Marines & RMR used to be 26, RN ratings 32, RNR 40, until very recently.

Ever since we've upped the ages to some Officers, Divers & RM/RMR up to 32, RN ratings 36 all we seem to hear about is people moaning that they're now too old to join.

The fact is these people were mostly already too old to join that particular trade, but now they're "in zone" for more job opportunities, they now feel they have to again justify why they won't join now a second chance presents itself. Isn't there a term for that type of person?

Fine, don't join then mate. It wasn't a major loss before & we will not fail to function without you in future, you're the one that's missing the chance of a lifetime which will change your life beyond recognition. You've already had over 10 years, during which you were eligible, to decide whether to join or not. If you want to be a Warfare Officer, you'll need to decide a bit quicker whether or not to shoot a plane down, fire a missile or torpedo that ship

Why not join as a Warfare Rating? If you've got 5 GCSE's including Maths & English grade C or better, then you can apply to become an officer from within the service. If you don't like it in the first 6 months you're free to leave & you can then regail your grandchildren with tales of daring-do in the Royal Navy on the mighty HMS Raleigh.

Like I say... Welcome!

4. You won't get much further on HM submarines either if you continue to call them 'subs'. Give youself a bit more street cred and refer to the beasts as 'boats' or just plain 'submarines'.
    This is just a hobby horse of mine..........it's a bit like one of your childhood friends meeting your parents for the first time and calling them by their first names. It's just not done!
    Good luck in whatever route you decide to take though.

5. As a former Pusser myself...

Logistics is a difficult branch to get into - primarily because if you lack the eyesite for Warfare and the qualifications for Engineering there's very little else. Until they re-jigged the AIB points system recently Logistics required the highest points score at AIB. Quite properly that is now Warfare.

Having had a look at the liunk you posted I think that is quite a fair description of the breadth of jobs you'll cover in a career, or have the opportunity to do. Accounting is a secondary duty as you have to keep within a budget.

If you're a bloke you're likely to be pushed towards boats at the end of ILOC (Initial Logistics Officers Course). A high percentage of the Logistics Branch are female, and they can't serve on boats, so it falls to the remaining men to fill that duty. I'm not sure how much sea time you'll actually do - traditionally the majority of Pussers served ashore, far more so than Warfare and Engineering.

Logistics is an interesting branch though, and you'll find yourself in roles from law to IT, catering, stores and administration. It's good for the CV when you go outside too.

All the best in whatever decision you make.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

That'll be two of us riding that Hobby Horse, or do we get one each, I believe they think the shortened version gives them street cred. You forgot the bit about Subs being a filled bread roll :threaten:

7. I've looked on this forum and other places on the web and found a little info but to be honest not that much and often contridicting.

I can't do warefare due to age but thinking about logistics.

I get the impression that:

Logistics is actually a hard branch to get into, but if you get through and want to go on subs they'll bite your hand off?

You get trained more indepth and have more duties and responsibilities as a logistics officer on a sub than you would on a ship.

You only get maybe 2 postings to sea though and then get stuck on land?

It's not really logistics, more acounting?

It's not really like navy career page would have you belive.

So is any of that right, wrong, half truth?

What is it really like, what would the career progression/submarine posting opitunties be like, and is it just a "bean counting/damn, wish I'd have applied for warefare a couple years ago" type post?

If this post is an accurate representation of your writing skills, I wouldn't bother applying for Pusser - Logistics Officers spend a large amount of their time writing, usually on behalf of a Senior Officer. Given the current financial strain, I'm not sure the mob could stretch to the uplift in red or green ink that would be needed if you were to be successful in joining us....

8. Opinion of a serving 'Subs' man (that's 3 of us that bit, then...)
    If you are drafted to an SSBN you will be counting sausages alongside, keeping duties as Officer of the Day, Head of Department and Divisional Officer for the stores section, catering section (accountancy and 'chefing') and the Ship's Office (internal and external admin and correspondence). You will also be the resident 'expert' on legal matters, offering advice to Command on issues such as pay, promotion and discipline - all said, a varied and rewarding career opportunity. At sea, in addition to those duties, you will qualify as Ship Control Officer of the Watch, you will keep watch on the periscope, you may be 2nd Officer of the Watch and, if you're good enough, you may progress to being entrusted with Officer of the Watch. The world is your oyster - HOWEVER - you need a very high standard of numeracy and literacy, and an appreciation of engineering, (particularly to deal with Nuclear General Course) and the shore jobs could be dull as hell... Having said that, the pay's pretty good, the training excellent and it's good fun. Helps if you're single - your Mrs will ******* hate you for volunteering...

9. Oh the White Mafia. What a career - counting beans, exchanging stores one for one, cocking up pay accounts, feeding the grapevine and more. But let's face it - if you can't crack it as a War Fairy or Engineer, what do you expect? Instant Command?

Try the RAF - they take you with open arms.

10. I am in the process of transfering to become a Logistics Officer. I am currently a JR and would greatly appreciate information that anyone, whether JR, SR, WO or Officer, could give me. I want to be as prepared as I possibly can be and I am finding the internet understandably limited. I have also been asking at work and friends but any other information would be fantastic. Thanks.

11. speak to your DLO?!

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to Rum Ration.

Have you passed AIB yet? If so, well done & I'm sure you'll be taught everything you need to know at BRNC.

If you haven't taken it yet, you'll find the AIB thread may well have some of the information you seek.

Good luck.