Logistics Officer Career Pipeline

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ToonPatriot, Mar 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a vague understanding of the pipeline for a junior LO. Just hoping for a bit of clarification on some issues or corrections if I am wrong!

To my knowledge after 30 weeks BRNC you will then complete 33 weeks of ILOC(M) - Including your time as an ALO

You will them receive your first assignment.

You will then receive your first sea assignment. (Or second if your first assignment was a sea draft.)

After these assignments, you pass your Log. Professional Charge Board and are recommended for Professional Logistics Charge. --- How many years would you have been serving by this point??? I assume this would enable your promotion to Lt.?

You will then serve subsequent Logistics and CAPPS assignments, then selected for promotion to Staff Officer 2.... ---- Staff Officer 2? is this another name for Lt. Cdr.?

This is about as far as my knowledge stretches. Anyone able to help or fill in the blanks? Would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

2. Your LPCB should take place between 12 and 18 months into your first (complement) sea assignment. This can be your first assignment. The recommendation for Charge will be made by your CO after you have completed LPCB. A pass at LPCB doesn't necessarily guarantee a Charge recommend; LPCB is a test of your professional knowledge, the Charge recommend is whether the CO "can see this person as a Head of Department in the future".

There is no set order for the jobs you do as a junior Logs officer (SO3) once you join the trained strength. The majority of people do at least one "shore" job before going to their sea assignment. Assignments available to Logs vary massively, as do the length of those assignments.

You currently require a minimum of 4 years' seniority as a Lt before you are in zone for promotion to Lt Cdr (SO2), but to be a realistic candidate at a promotion board you will need to have a reasonable breadth of portfolio as an SO3, demonstrating your wider employability (as well as actually being capable!) I'm not certain of what the average seniority on promotion to Lt Cdr is at the moment, but I would guess between 6 and 7 years as a Lt.

3. Many thanks for your reply (and apologies for my late reply)

4. One thing that is confusing me is the fact that all the information I have states that a Logistics Officer will be promoted to Lt. After completing professional training. (30 weeks Brnc and 33 weeks Iloc) around 1 year 3 months (give or take for waiting for a course)... However, Ch 66 states that after 1 year you will be promoted to S/Lt. And Lt. After another 2.5 years... So 3.5 years into your career... Not 1 and a quarter as the information I have wpuld lead you to believe! Does this mean that your first draft (as a surface fleet DLO if at sea) could actually be as a S/Lt?
    All a bit confusing with conflicting information unless I am missing something.

5. Revised Officer Entry Scheme introduced in 2013 means 12 months as Midshipman, then 30 months as SLt until promotion to Lt. This works out as most junior Logs Officers get promoted to SLt whilst on ALO time, and then to Lt while in their first jobs. So yes, you could be a DLO as a SLt. Hope this helps. May be that some of your information hasn't been updated since 2013?

6. Agreed ^^

Even under the old scheme (pre-2013) you could end up with SLts as DLOs if they went to sea in their first assignment.

7. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

7 to 11 years seniority is the norm at the moment, average age around 36. Its drifted higher in the last few years for a variety of reasons.

8. Transfer time it is! The letter from DACOS CM a few months ago certainly didn't fill me with optimism!

9. From; to?

10. The letter? It was to all OF2-4 (dated Dec 15) ref manpower rebalancing, specifically the planned reduction of OF4 and above posts, and the consequential impact on career prospects.

Considering a future in Light Blue.

11. wave_dodger

Why - they have exactly the same issues and whilst they're not seeking 300 posts to be dissolved, they are massively slowing down promotion in almost every branch. Frying pan and fire.

12. ah, that.

well, yes.

13. But they do a decent sales pitch - maybe I've listened to too many Crabs recently. Probably doesn't help I haven't seen another member of our Service since last year.

14. yeah, but if you don't have 2 wings, you ain't shit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wave_dodger

That letter was rescinded and a more detailed version issued, which lays out the issue and the impact a little better. There will still be promotion, we will still have OF4, OF5, and OF6s, the question is how many and where and for most people there will be very little impact. In truth it will probably only people getting close to OF5 or OF6 at the moment. For everyone else its a non-event.

16. 2nd letter not seen in my location...

17. wave_dodger

Will un-delete it :) To be fair none of us saw the first one and I only saw second as I know the DACOS...

18. Ah, my CM sent us the first one.

DACOS was my Sqn Senior Officer at BRNC: scared me then, scares me now!

19. Nor mine! I only heard about the first one by chance.

20. Dacos cm? :)