Logistics - dispell some myths or add to the mystery??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Curley, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly I would like to say what a fantastic site and the information on the AIB is very useful so thanks to all who have taken the time to post for us newbies. Right enough of the sucking up and on to the point in hand. I am currently in the process of applying to join as an officer and more specifically a Logistics Officer (given my age it is the only branch available to me, but this is no bad thing as I am very taken with it!) However having spent a few days at BRNC on an acquaint recently and also through various other mediums (this site included) Loggies seem to get a bit of abuse from the other branches for being rather dull (and that’s putting it mildly) yet I have also heard a vicious rumour that it is a fiercely competitive branch to get into. I initially assumed this was because of the AIB grades the board would be looking for, but does this also boil down to a case of places available v’s numbers applying? So the question is, if we’re so boring why the competitiveness? Obviously not looking for the meaning of life to be answered but I am interested to hear other’s viewpoints (for a change :thanks: )
  2. Well there is obviously a lot of interest in moving stacks of lankets and couting beans..........

OTOH the competitive element is mainly down to demand, far fewer slots for Loggies than there are for either engineers or bridge chimps.

OTOH at the PWO course stage there are opportunities for both the worked harder at school branches to do PWO course and fast track onto the interesting warfare branch stuff.

Engineers are already pre-filtered, as you need an accredited, relevant, degree to even be considered whereas Loggies are competing school leavers and grads together. that leads to a bit more need for the AIB scores to differentiate people.
  4. I presume that Loggies are the modern replacement for Supply Officers (Pussers). If so, they are amongst the brightest officers in the RN. (I speak as an admirer, not as an ex-Pusser.)
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Its rare for pussers to hop over the fence - after all its taken such an effort to get there in the first place...

Loggies have an interesting life these days - quite apart from the high quality EVTs on offer such as Barrister or CMA training. On board the LSO is now the saftey number for most seamanship evoluitons and as such gets heavily involved in RASs etc. He/She is also the Damage Control Officer and runs the DC battle - may not sound interesting but ask anyone whose been through OST...

As an XO I had an outstanidng LSO for whom I was very grateful - his contribution on the Logs front was of critical importance during TELIC.
  6. You can branch change, but it can be difficult. OTOH you don't need to, from Lt upwards most jobs can be filled by a couple of different branches, subject to qualificaitons. clearly Barrister or Management Accountant roles are pretty much tied to the Loggy world, but others aren't.

PWO course up until recently just required one to have a Bridge ticket and an Ops Room ticket. You can get the ORC during your sea job, but nowadays bridge tickets need a bit more thinking about and negotiation, a six month stint as a bridge chimp should do it, rather than about 6 years worth. You can branch change to Warfare once you're in a PWO job, or afterwards. Some have done it and have been extremely successful, some have just done the job and then gone back to parent branch with a different profile to their peers.

I think there has recently been an imposed requirement to do a full job as a watchkeeper though, in an effort to slow down the other branches. A number of engineers branch changed during PWO appointments and ended up significantly junior to their peers in the warfare branch because they'd gone PWO very quickly. My informaiton is a few years out of date though, this new restriction only appeared in the last year so I'm not familiar with the detail.

It's a useful broadening opportunity, improves credibility as you can see things from the Warfare branch perspective and it opens the door to other opportunities which you might care to exploit in the future.

Officer employment isn't all that constrained, lots of opportunities out there if you know where to look and you're prepared to take a bit of a risk sometimes.
  7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

But of course you will need to meet all the STCW requirements, which is a bit more than just the 6 months as OOW2...
  8. Again I'm not entirely up to date, nearly 12 years since I did my ORC, but don't the requirements total to about 12 months extra between the required JWO course elements and the bridge time.

The JWO course requirement came in after my time as well.
  9. Could give you a good footing also when you leave , though I did want to be a Gunner at first (sounded very exciting), but the old man talked me out of it (he was a crusher = Reg Staff) - he stated there wouldn't be much use for Gunners after I finished - too true!
    I went into Purchasing for quite a few years after my time was completed.