Log(Pers) as a submariner

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by fuzzylumpkins, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of transferring from skimmers to the Vanguard class subs. Can anyone tell me what my other tasks on board will be other than general pay & registry work, also what happens to me when the boat is alongside? Do I get sloped off to a UPO somewhere?

2. Maybe things have changed, but way back (12 years) you were not guaranteed a job on bombers, hunter killers also had scribes on board, so if you want to be a sundodger don't bank on getting a bomber.

3. Vanguards are just my main preference. The only literature I can find is a 4 line dit on daily orders and a RNTM that highlights the extra money to be earned more than what I would actually be doing.

I can't go and ask around either as I'm currently bouncing around in a force 7 off Scotland trying to locate some of you. :thumright:

4. Admin, admin and more admin. Then after stand easy....

I am not aware of writers being palmed off to inboard organisations. You will form part of the duty watch alongside. At sea, your watchkeeping position will be on the helm/planes.

Basically, you are working for the skipper, but you will no doubt be loaded up with plenty of other work - perhaps assisting the grocer occasionally. never a dull moment.

Are you aware of the 'incentive' to transfer from GS to boats?

5. Naval 'incentives' generally mean 'HELP!!, HELP!! everyones dying/leaving in droves' to me. I have to admit the extra money is one of the reasons I want to transfer :money: . I'm planning on purchasing a house and the extra moolah each month would help loads.

I've had my fun in the sun. I've seen everything & done everything the stops had to offer. But was generally to drunk too remember most of it :) .

6. Transfer from skimmer but branch change to CS (Steward).. submarine pinch point and they are offering £7500.. genuine dit.. 4 years ROS i believe and the moneys yours..

7. in my time (66-78), the killick writer kept 1 in 3 watches with the sailors - unless grabbed by the Skipper on sneakies or exercises to type the ongoing reports that were accruing. Having said that, the first one we had on CONX wasn't allowed to do lookout at sea due to his bad eyesight - "Buoy ? what ferkin buoy?." "That one 50 yards to port - call a relief for the lookout". He was forever known to the crew as Blind Pew. Met his relief in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia, where we had a weekly 2 man SOCA reunion ! He never went inboard in harbour, but knew the phone number of the inboard pay wallah. As a killick writer (SM), you'll be a lot better off at sea - all the fun of the fair - and you get paid extra to be there.

8. The incentive is open to Logs(pers) aswell. Reading the forum regarding part 3 training I get the impression it takes ages to qualify, the RNTM however says part 3/SMQ training only takes 10 weeks :confused:

It seems a bit quick to me as from start to finish I'd get my dolphins after 13 weeks (If I include SETT and SMIC). Am I missing something or are the figures given a bit unrealistic?

9. Ok. The hardest part is probably getting thru the SM medical.

Once donce, you'll get a date to attend SETT.

Then you'll probably do a two day firefighting course.

You might then attend a two week SMIC course (a basic intro to boats - classroom based - directed at those who have already done some time at sea on the grey funnel line).

Once you get to sea on a boat, in a training billet presumably, you have a bogey time of ten weeks to qualify complete training and get your dolphins. As I say, the ten weeks is a guide only. However, you shouldn't kick the arse out of it. For somebody who has already been to sea, much of what you do/learn will already be familiar to you anyway. It's just a matter of adjusting your concepts and knowledge to fit an SM environment.

The SMIC courses are run at Devonport and Faslane by the SMQ organisations. Not everyone attends them, but they are beneficial.

Hope this helps.

10. You've helped loads mate. The medical shouldn't be a problem, I dont smoke, quit drinking 4 months ago & have never been formally classified as being mental. I just hope they dont drag their heels on my request like they did with my transfer from stoker to the white mafia (took me 3.5 years of sitting on my arse refusing to progress my career before they let me leave Gods branch :( )

11. As the killick writer onboard you will be working in the off crew...sorry support crew offices... doing all the usual stuff for the Old Man, as well as the normal admin stuff for the crew.
    When you are on crew you will be doing the same, just from onboard. Some do duties with the fwd duty watch, i.e 1 in 3, others work the old blue card routine.

12. You've helped loads mate. The medical shouldn't be a problem, I dont smoke, quit drinking 4 months ago & have never been formally classified as being mental. I just hope they dont drag their heels on my request like they did with my transfer from stoker to the white mafia (took me 3.5 years of sitting on my arse refusing to progress my career before they let me leave Gods branch .
    don't smoke . don't drink and your not mental. submarines is not for you?

13. 1. Never trust a man who does not drink.

2. To spend weeks on end, underwater, in a metal tube is not natural and not the act of a sane person - therefore you need to be slightly "touched" to be a submariner.

3. The third one is now banned anyway.

My conclusion is that you may not be cut out to be a submariner :thumright:

14. Contributor Mode

Rule One. If you see someone running on a submarine stop them. If they will not stop would you start to run with them as he obviously knows something you do not?

Rule Two. Do you consider all ladies, or men if you bat that way, to be nice, it is just some are nicer than others?

Rule Three. If it is alcoholic, wet and paid for would you drink it?

If you answer to any of the three above is No then you may be making a poor career move.

Nutty

PS Cheek and tongue come to mind.

16. I got the first part of my Medical coming up Friday. I didnt know that a lung function test would be part of it :crybaby: I failed that when we had to cover the whining firemen during OP Fresco.

They still sent me ahead to fight fires ofc as they thought I was failing just to get out of it, naval healthcare at it's finest :thumright: hopefully my new improved regime of negative smoking,drinks & junk food will have improved things.

17. You will be able to serve on a Vanguard class boat when you are a killick writer. Ables and PO's only get drafts on Fleet boats.

18. Failed it every time just signed the disclaimer :dwarf: