Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landing"

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

You'd have to be pretty concerned if, by now, it couldn't!

Still think its a grand blanc elephant.

Hold on, wasn't all this vertical landing/takeoff stuff done ages ago? I thought Simon Hargreaves (could have been Stoney) did it at least 2 years before this.

Pontius said:
Hold on, wasn't all this vertical landing/takeoff stuff done ages ago? I thought Simon Hargreaves (could have been Stoney) did it at least 2 years before this.
For once headline does not say RAF Hero does first Vertical Landing?

I think it was Stoney?

Pontius said:
This is the first time that a (broadly) production representative F-35B has conducted a VL. I suspect that you may be thinking of X-35B test activity around 9 years ago. Not sure who flew those but I think it was a US pilot although there were UK military test pilots involved in the programmes for both the X-35 (RAF) and unsuccessful X-32 (RN).

Last time I heard, there was only an RAF tp involved at the moment although hopefully that can be remedied in the near future by the RN (if it hasn't been already).

Regards,
MM

That was the Boeing X-32 but the winner was the Lockheed Martin X-35:

JSF History
...On 23 June 2001 at the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works in Palmdale, the X-35B conducted its first press-up, marking the first time in aviation history that a shaft-driven lift fan propulsion system had lifted an aircraft into the sky. On that day, Hargreaves took the aircraft up to 15-20 ft for several minutes and then conducted a vertical landing. The following day, Hargreaves again engaged the LiftFan propulsion system, and the plane rose straight up to a stabilized position at an altitude of about 25 ft, while Hargreaves checked to ensure the flight controls responded properly before returning the plane gently to the ground.

On 06 August 2001, during the aircraft’s 66th and final test flight, Tom Morgenfeld piloted the X-35B. The aircraft left the runway at Edwards AFB at 1009 PST. Several test cards were performed and the aircraft was ferried back to Palmdale for storage. The flight lasted 3.7 hours, during which Morgenfeld went through six aerial refuelings. Six touch and go landings were conducted at Palmdale before Morgenfeld brought the aircraft to rest. At the end of its testing, the total amount of flight time on the X-35B was 48.9 hours.

Following the completion of their flight test periods, the X-35 demonstrator aircraft were retired to museums. The X-35A/B is now in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution and is on display at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center near the Dulles International Airport in Virginia. The X-35C is now in the permanent collection of the United States Association for Naval Aviation and is on loan to the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum in Lexington Park, Maryland.

Plans are being finalized for the eventual restoration and display of the Boeing X-32A and X-32B demonstrator aircraft.

Thanks, NG.

I popped in that link as an extra because MM and Pontius were musing on who the test pilots were for the earlier versions (Hargreaves/Stoney etc) and I noticed that Paul Stone was listed as a tp underneath that photo.

Thanks Soleil and NG for the info, which confirmed my beer-addled memory. I was pretty sure Hargs had done the Boeing job and Stoney the Lockheed one but couldn't recall if Stoney had had a play in the Boeing toy as well.

there were UK military test pilots involved in the programmes for both the X-35 (RAF) and unsuccessful X-32 (RN)
Cheap shot Crabbo :D The lead test pilot for the X-35 was definitely Simon Hargreaves and, despite his dimunitive stature, I know he'd give you a nasty Chinese burn for even hinting that he might have connections with the Junior Service.

Pontius said:
Cheap shot Crabbo :D The lead test pilot for the X-35 was definitely Simon Hargreaves and, despite his dimunitive stature, I know he'd give you a nasty Chinese burn for even hinting that he might have connections with the Junior Service.
No cheap shot intended. My recollection was that the UK had a single (RAF) tp on X-35 and one (RN) on X-32; certainly, there was at least one light blue on the LM jet.

Regards,
MM

I know it's a company promotional video but that thing looks the dog's nuts to me. I wish I could swap some of my airline flying years for an age reduction and chance to play with that toy when it comes in. I just hope they keep the original idea and spray RN on it and not some silly 'jointery' type deal which waters it down for the FAA.

Latest Threads