Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landing"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Mar 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

You'd have to be pretty concerned if, by now, it couldn't!

Still think its a grand blanc elephant.

2. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

Hold on, wasn't all this vertical landing/takeoff stuff done ages ago? I thought Simon Hargreaves (could have been Stoney) did it at least 2 years before this.

3. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

For once headline does not say RAF Hero does first Vertical Landing?

I think it was Stoney?

4. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

This is the first time that a (broadly) production representative F-35B has conducted a VL. I suspect that you may be thinking of X-35B test activity around 9 years ago. Not sure who flew those but I think it was a US pilot although there were UK military test pilots involved in the programmes for both the X-35 (RAF) and unsuccessful X-32 (RN).

Last time I heard, there was only an RAF tp involved at the moment although hopefully that can be remedied in the near future by the RN (if it hasn't been already).

Regards,
    MM

5. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

That was the Boeing X-32 but the winner was the Lockheed Martin X-35:

JSF History

6. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

Thanks, NG.

I popped in that link as an extra because MM and Pontius were musing on who the test pilots were for the earlier versions (Hargreaves/Stoney etc) and I noticed that Paul Stone was listed as a tp underneath that photo.

7. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

Thanks Soleil and NG for the info, which confirmed my beer-addled memory. I was pretty sure Hargs had done the Boeing job and Stoney the Lockheed one but couldn't recall if Stoney had had a play in the Boeing toy as well.

Cheap shot Crabbo :D The lead test pilot for the X-35 was definitely Simon Hargreaves and, despite his dimunitive stature, I know he'd give you a nasty Chinese burn for even hinting that he might have connections with the Junior Service.

8. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

No cheap shot intended. My recollection was that the UK had a single (RAF) tp on X-35 and one (RN) on X-32; certainly, there was at least one light blue on the LM jet.

Regards,
    MM

9. Re: Lockheed Martin: "F35-B succeeds in First Vertical Landi

I know it's a company promotional video but that thing looks the dog's nuts to me. I wish I could swap some of my airline flying years for an age reduction and chance to play with that toy when it comes in. I just hope they keep the original idea and spray RN on it and not some silly 'jointery' type deal which waters it down for the FAA.