Lockheed Martin: "F-35 STOVL Variant Flies Supersonic"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This: "The F-35 program has about 900 suppliers in 45 states, and directly and indirectly employs more than 127,000 people. Thousands more are employed in the F-35 partner countries, which have invested more than $4 billion in the project. Those countries are the United Kingdom, Italy, the Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Australia, Denmark and Norway" is of course far more important than any sort of combat capability.
  2. So they are replacing the Sea Harrier?

On the ball Lockheed :?
  3. :roll: Whils everyone is waxing lyrical about the Vstol F-S5 . Could some grown up, explain to me how we are going to operate a "proper"( as in Hawkeye type!! ) Awacs Aircraft from the 2 new Carriers
  4. What's your point? SHAR may have been withdrawn prematurely, leaving a serious gap in the RN's organic air defence capability, but it has always been the intention to replace it with JSF.

5. So what's the general rule here? It seems to be:
    Cost = Estimate*2
    Delivery Year = Estimate+6
    Quantity = Estimate/2

Perhaps this will all be explained when we discover the Higgs Boson.

As I understand it, Lockheed Martin are due to deliver one or two F35Bs some time on 2012, which will then undergo trials for introduction around 2018.
  6. So they are not replacing the Sea Harrier just its B*astard brother the GR!!

Thats my point

In the grand scheme of things, yes it is a replacement, but there has been a gap? : :evil:
  7. To be fair, that is a standard commercial press-release format, which always contains information such as share value etc.

8. We could put the ASaC7 gear into a V-22 Osprey, but as we have no money we won't and it will go into a Merlin instead.

The F-35 is all well and good, but it's late and very over budget. We can no longer afford it and I expect it will have a very rough ride through the forthcoming defence review and is on the list of very expensive and can we do without this items.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Who is "we"? What are you credentials, NG? :?
  10. I read it, but I didn't learn about your credentials.

11. They are far better than the OP's, but we digress
  12. We still wait with bated breath, NG.
  13. Normong_Gruntham. You are Lewis Page; and I clame my £5.
  14. Bugger! I thought I was being so witty, too. :oops:
  15. Will you accept a Scottish one?
  16. Bank of Scotland or Clydesdale?