Lockerbie Bomber on short finals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Subsunk, Aug 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

2. It's tragic isn't it.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I wasn't aware that anyone in the British government was calling for his extradition backto Britain, following Scotland's decision to release him, coincidentally at the time of UK/Libyan trade agreements - prior to Dave deciding to oust Mr Gaddafi.

I was aware the Americans would like to extradite him again, put him on trial again & re-sentence him again in the USA.

4. Sounds good to me.

5. “Al-Megrahi has already been judged once and he will not be judged again ... ", quite right too.

It's not as if you can fake cancer. He was released and that is the end of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. .

Just to note that IF one believes in the majority of newspapers at the time of the release, the main reason for the deal to release him was NOT trade deals but to stop the appeal process that was occurring, because there were too many questions that could be raised over witness reliability and intelligence agencies' interference in the evidence.

7. Thats what i say (although he sould not have beeb releasd in my opinion),But its done hes got cancer let him die not in peace but in sheer agony .to die quick would be too good he and they did not give a toss for what they were doing with the people on that plane and in that town .To help keep in alive in drugs will not cost us the tax payer a penny just as it should be

8. Ninja_Stoker

The British father of one of the victims appears to give credence to this also.

9. As one who witnessed first hand the result of his handy work, I hope the end is indeed in sight for him.

As for his suffering - I really don't care.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. Ninja_Stoker

At risk of seemingly trying to 'black cat' & not being a conspiracy theorist in the slightest, the views of Dr Swire, father of one of the British victims is of interest. He was one of only two relations of Lockerbie victims who actually attended to whole trial. He was on the BBC news today & points the finger not at Libya, but firmly at Iran.

It's something I hadn't considered, but in July 1988 I was on HMS Boxer on Armilla, when the USS Vincennes 'mistakenly' shot down an Iranian airbus with the loss of nearly 300 civilian lives as it flew out from Bandar Abbas airport in a commercial air lane, with IFF in the wrong mode - as did many Iranian military aircraft. In those days Saddam was the "good guy", Iran were the "bad guys" - even though Iraq had "mistakenly" struck the USS Stark with an air launched Exocet in May 1987. Funny how things change, in retrospect.

I left Boxer in October 1988, after it had to immediately turn back to the Gulf following the collision between HMS Southampton (ironically my previous ship) and MV Torbay in September 1988.

Upon return from the Gulf, I was drafted to the fire-school in Rosyth as a newly promoted PO in an instructor billet. In the December 1988, the atrocity occurred over Lockerbie. As a weekend traveller, the scars at Lockerbie were plain to see - it was the last northward station on the mainline before the train spilt at Carstairs for Edinburgh/Glasgow from the North West.

As for al-Megrahi, I really don't have a clue whether he was guilty, but I do know there was a series of cock-ups by & with supposedly allied maritime military units leading up to the Lockerbie atrocity. It also makes the outcome of an appeal against his sentence less palatable to governments than perhaps repatriating a terminally ill "convict".

11. N_S, I was unfortunate to have been in the second Sea King to arrive on scene at Lockerbie, initial tasking was to go to Newcastle and collect a trauma team. The first helo on scene made a rapid assessment that medical teams were not the requirement and body bags would be more relevant. We carried out a swift overfly of the crash site before being retasked to collect the vultures from Glasgow, (read press.)

Maggie put pay to their jaunt, as soon as we lifted from G/Gow she put a 'D' notice on the area and put in place a no fly zone of some 20 nm radius. After that it was assisting plod in securing the site and the plagues of ghouls that came to steal from the dead.

Probably the worst 24 hours of my life.

Next day I was at Edinburgh airport collect a squaddie who's parents had been a fatality in the town. Not a good sortie either!