Living within GB but no UK?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Bleeh, Jan 11, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Having a conversation with someone and neither of us know the answer.

    Does anyone know if you are allowed to reside outside of the UK but within Great Britan The British isles (i.e Southern Ireland, Isle of man, etc) While working for the RFA?.

    I'm not talking about "leave" - I mean as your main contact/postal address or as a place you would remain/visit during transit periods/periods outside of leave?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  2. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    It's not a problem in the RN, but your best bet for definitive guidance is call the RFA careers line as there are more stringent nationality/residency rules for RFA personnel.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. exJenny

    exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

    I thought Thailand was the usual choice.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1

  4. I hadn't thought of the RFA careers line, that's good advice. Cheers.
  5. Whilst not answering your question, it should be said that GB - Great Britain - does not include Ireland. Neither Eire nor Northern Ireland are in GB. GB is the big island on the right as you look at the map ( plus, confusingly, a lot of other smaller islands.)
    The United Kingdom (UK) includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; the British Isles includes the whole lot, including all of Ireland.

    Just to make things difficult, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of GB, but other islands - including the Isle of Wight - are. However, to some on the Isle of Wight, the bit on the other side of the Solent is simply the North Island.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Irish will love you calling them part of Great Britain.
  7. Your right, what bothers me is that I knew that as well - I was just trying to be clever how I worked the title / message content so it was short and simple and inevitably made an arse of myself.
  8. Well, for future reference:

    According to the nice girl on the RFA recruiting number, you are allowed to live anywhere within the British Isles. (not that I can afford to move to the channel islands this side of a lottery win).
  9. Also for future reference, our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. GB as I understand it is the largest island in the British Isles which consists of most of scotland England and Wales not including the further 1000 odd smaller islands including Ireland as a whole that make the British Isles. GB is from what I've been taught a geographical term for the larger single land mass or island, like referring to the island of Ireland as a whole as just Ireland.
  11. I know both my old LSA and CPOSA on RFA Fort George resided over there, while another lived in Malta.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. the republic of Ireland or any other name you may want to call it has not been part of the uk or great Britain from 1922 .Nor is it even part of the commonwealth.
  13. That may be so but the geographical term for the main island as a whole is still just Ireland was my point, as well as GB being the largest island not containing all of Wales England and Scotland only most of then as they have islands of Thierry own
  14. As far as I'm currently aware - the rules are that you are allowed to "holiday" abroad during your leave (which effectively sees you living there) but you've got to retain a UK address. When your leave ends you have to come back to the UK/British isles etc.

    My question was involving the exact rules of what you where allowed to do once the period of leave ends.
  15. As exjenny states Thailand is the usual choice.

    Move there and marry a woman 30 years younger than you and try and convince yourself it is because you are amazingly good looking that you have pulled it off. Change your home address to your mums house and she can facetime you telling you your letter from HQ has arrived and then you get a flight to the uk then either join in the UK or fly to join the ship then spend 4 months e mailing and ringing the mrs in broken english so she understands you
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Unless you can point to something that I am unaware of in PRGs, there is no requirement to retain a UK address. You can live permanently outside the UK if you choose, but the RFA will not pay travel expenses to/from your non-UK home unless they are cheaper than travel from/to a major London airport.

    Current or recent RFA employees include those who live in Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, as well as those further afield in Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, etc.

Share This Page