Living out during phase 2

Hi, any info always appreciated.
I'm joining as an Aircrewman with phase 2 training lasting over 2 years if I go ASW, 16 months of that being at Culdrose. Due to such a long training timeline, is it possible to live off base and buy my own house during training? Especially as chances are that I'll be based at Culdrose after finishing phase 2. Thanks.

No idea about the living out. But! As an ex aircrewman. You should prepare your partner/parents/dog for some long nights, sometimes even sleeping on board. The course is intense and much of the content is classified so you will need to revise and study on board.
There is another chap who is more in date with the current training regime who may be able to assist you further. (@Mark Dip )

Hi, any info always appreciated.
I'm joining as an Aircrewman with phase 2 training lasting over 2 years if I go ASW, 16 months of that being at Culdrose. Due to such a long training timeline, is it possible to live off base and buy my own house during training? Especially as chances are that I'll be based at Culdrose after finishing phase 2. Thanks.
Are you married? If so, yes you can live ashore. That was certainly the case when I was last involved with training. Phase 2 training routines change regularly and I'd have to check the full policy and that privilege may not be extended if you are not married. I'll ask the question.
Living off base isn't always the best idea. Culdrose facilities are pretty good, gym, pool, cinema. You will end up with a single cabin that isn't too dissimilar to a Travelodge,most people make themselves quite comfortable. Staying on board offers a simple life actually when you're on an intense course, so you'll be virtually free of any distractions. My advice would be do not rush it to anything. Also consider what happens if you don't pass the course and then have a house to deal with in an area that you don't have a job. I've seen it happen. Pro's and cons.

MD

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Are you married? If so, yes you can live ashore. That was certainly the case when I was last involved with training. Phase 2 training routines change regularly and I'd have to check the full policy and that privilege may not be extended if you are not married. I'll ask the question.
Living off base isn't always the best idea. Culdrose facilities are pretty good, gym, pool, cinema. You will end up with a single cabin that isn't too dissimilar to a Travelodge,most people make themselves quite comfortable. Staying on board offers a simple life actually when you're on an intense course, so you'll be virtually free of any distractions. My advice would be do not rush it to anything. Also consider what happens if you don't pass the course and then have a house to deal with in an area that you don't have a job. I've seen it happen. Pro's and cons.

MD

That's the important bit.

Out of interest, I have known Phase 2 students challenge the "you have to live on base" edicts, and for representations to be found in their favour. The way I heard it described by a practicing barrister was something to the effect of "It (enforcing single students to stay on base whilst marrieds get the option to live off-base) may not be against military law but it's certainly illegal under civilian law".

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger

Out of interest, I have known Phase 2 students challenge the "you have to live on base" edicts, and for representations to be found in their favour. The way I heard it described by a practicing barrister was something to the effect of "It (enforcing single students to stay on base whilst marrieds get the option to live off-base) may not be against military law but it's certainly illegal under civilian law".
They aren’t keeping you prisoner! I think it’s more to do with terms of service. If you agree to abide by the terms of service which require you to live onboard during Phase 1 (and in some cases Phase 2) training, then breaking those terms means you lose your job. And I would question whether it may be against the AFA as a ‘failure to attend place of duty’ perhaps? I have no idea if you actually can or can’t live out during your particular course btw, these are just my musings :)

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
They aren’t keeping you prisoner! I think it’s more to do with terms of service. If you agree to abide by the terms of service which require you to live onboard during Phase 1 (and in some cases Phase 2) training, then breaking those terms means you lose your job. And I would question whether it may be against the AFA as a ‘failure to attend place of duty’ perhaps? I have no idea if you actually can or can’t live out during your particular course btw, these are just my musings :)
Mate, sorry if I wasn't making my point clearly; clumsy wording on my behalf.

If a married student on for example, the Aircrewman's Course can live off-base, then a single student has to be given the option. The days of an arbitrary Lt Cdr deciding what you as an individual can or can't do in your private life have long since gone, much to the chagrin of many. It might sound a bit lefty, or 'Yoooman Rights', but that's the way it is.

And, by the way, whilst serving you are equally subject to civil law as to AFA 2006.

Jm345

For what it's worth, my advice would be to wait until you've settled in your new career and then look at possibly buying a house.

There are various reasons for this being a good idea. Some very good ones have already been mentioned, but what I would add is that there are real advantages when you are in a new job, especially if you have relocated, to being able to live where you work.

You would be surprised how much hassle buying and just running a house can be; when you are in a new job and especially a job like your new one, you don't need extra hassle, you want it to be as smooth as you can make it. If someone else is taking care of your accommodation, that leaves you free to concentrate on your course. Give yourself the best start to your career by putting all your focus on the job.

Something else to bear in mind is that this is a stage in your life when you will be making all sorts of new friendships, some of which will last for the rest of your life. It will be much easier to make friends with the other people in your group if you are all sharing the same accommodation. You don't want to be the one person who goes home.

Team building is an important part of your new career and I think that you would find being part of your team much easier if you chose the live-in option.

PS If you want to, you can always use this particular phase to save a bit in a good savings account, so that, when you are ready to buy, you have the money you will need for a deposit, furniture etc.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Mate, sorry if I wasn't making my point clearly; clumsy wording on my behalf.

If a married student on for example, the Aircrewman's Course can live off-base, then a single student has to be given the option. The days of an arbitrary Lt Cdr deciding what you as an individual can or can't do in your private life have long since gone, much to the chagrin of many. It might sound a bit lefty, or 'Yoooman Rights', but that's the way it is.

And, by the way, whilst serving you are equally subject to civil law as to AFA 2006.
My bad for not reading properly; it’s pretty obvious you can’t have one rule for PS1 and another for PS5 (unless we’re talking about SLA charges, but that’s a whole new thread!). Nothing lefty about that. There’s no officers making up arbitrary rules to see you off btw. And I’m not your mate.

For aircrewman training I wouldn't say enforced but 'recommended'. For many reasons, the course is intense and the building up of the crew concept is pretty high. We had one guy live ashore and he was extremely disadvantaged when it came to passing exams, whilst the rest of us ate drank and slept training - he went home every evening to family and distraction. After a few near failures of weekly exams he quickly realised the advantages to staying on board during the week.
Its all choice but if you want a career then for the long term gain you may need to offset with a short term loss.
My introduction to Aircrewman training was. 'We expect 120% from you Monday to Friday. - Friday, after work, go home, go to the bar - get drunk. But Monday - do not be hung over.' Work hard play hard was the mantra then. I hear todays aircrewman are of the same mould so I can't see much has changed regards expectation of candidates.

Appreciate all the replies, as informative as ever. Thanks.
I'm not married but in a relationship, so was just curious how it would work for the two of us. The weekend commute would not be much fun for 16 months purely because of the distance to travel. I'm guessing the best bet would be if my other half could move down that way and I live in at weekends and at Culdrose during the week. I am fully understanding of how intense Aircrewman training will be, and I definitely understand the importance of being there and as immersed in it as I can be.

What kind of job does your other half do, JM? He/she could perhaps start investigating what might be available jobwise in the South-West; at least that way, the travelling at weekends wouldn't be so bad, if he/she were down there too.

It's probably the most realistic option, and since we both love Cornwall it would be a move we're both happy with! Soleil, just out of interest, are you based at Culdrose? Your info on this has been very helpful.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger

MD
Culdrose is still using the pool? I well remember skinny dipping with a wren or two in the last remaining WW2 Static Water Tank over at Station Flight. The water must be getting a trifle foetid by now.