Liverpool Echo: "Fort Victoria In Mammoth £47m Navy Refit Job"

Discussion in 'RFA' started by soleil, Apr 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jr070414ship-10.jpg

"The Echo was given exclusive access to Cammell Laird shipyard's biggest ever Navy refit job on its largest ship, Fort Victoria.

A staggering £47m will be spent on the 10-month refit as 451 men from Cammell Laird's staff and sub-contractors swarm over Fort Victoria during her 10-month refit as she sits in No 5 Drydock alongside Birkenhead Priory.

This is a quarter of Laird's workforce as the contract to get this Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) supply ship is so big and important to the Wirral shipyard and numerous other local companies. The race is on to get Fort Victoria ready for her sailing date of December 12 and fit for another 20 years' working life."

Cammell Laird in mammoth £47m Navy refit job for largest ship - Liverpool Echo
  2. Poor girl needs it shes been worked hard. I was on the bridge when one of the main engines exploded at 3 in the morning! Poor old OOW!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  3. Was on there during saif saria, don't think I went to scran the same way twice! It was mostly due to cheap beer and having no aircraft to turn too for!

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(
  4. You WAFUs had the easiest life ever when a flight wasnt on!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  5. We were on Lusty with Sea Harriers and Afghan kicked off. Lusty was to become a Helicopter platform and we were told to go home, so the jets left with a small trail crew and we were sent to the Vic for the passage back to Salalah, Oman. 3 days on the lash, followed by a week in Oman before Nicky Lauda's, Lauda Air managed to get us back to Brize and then home.

6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Who's Nicky Lauda?
  7. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

What do you mean? I had to go to the bridge everyday and then down to the air weapons mag then back to the bridge to sign the keys back in. The WE's had it easy hiding in their phalanx grot all the time.
    I was on the George during saif sarria ( spelling?) and had to take over from the Ft Vic. Hard life as we then spent Christmas on the Seychelles.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  8. Our paths nearly crossed, we spent Christmas in Mombers with the Lusty, we even let them use our hotel pool and 24hr bar as well and to reciprocate they supplied the armed trots as we were outboard of Dilipig and didn't have the manpower. :)
  9. Niki's brother

10. Doesn't he have a sister called Estee?
  11. Yes that's the one, think he was a killick stoker on the Massive?

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Is the second photo an illustration of the enterprising spirit of Merseysiders?
  13. Heard a dit about an RFA that was being refitted at Cammel some years back.

All was seemingly well until the ship sailed again 6 months later. On unlocking the bond store (place where the fags and booze is kept), they found that the enterprising scousers had cut a hole in the side of the ship, helped themselves to the contents, before welding it back up and painting over it again.

I did an extended maintenance period on the Fort George at Cammel, wouldn't put it past the thieving *****.
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Why, was he in the engine room at the time, did he fight the fire, did he turn to with the engineers to repair the damaged engine.......?
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nah. He had a nasty turn & nearly spilt his cocoa.