Liverpool Battle of the Atlantic

Discussion in 'History' started by scouse, Dec 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do you think there is anyone I can contact to queue jump with my partner and little un before I go to Raleigh on June 16th.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is a chap I know who could help, name of Zambellas. Not sure of the number but you could try looking it up and asking him to fix it.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst I appreciate the idea, even the ships company are not usually permitted to bring guests on during Ship Open to Visitors (SOTV) as it greatly annoys those who have got off their backsides, arrived early and have to queue unfortunately.

Have to say, having attended many SOTV's in the line of recruitment, I heartily agree with the sentiment of the general public in this area. SOTV lasts but a few hours and those wishing to bring guests on board need only bring them on before or after to avoid showing the service in a negative light.

Besides, some ships occasionally offer-up the opportunity for RN candidates or local Sea Cadets to go to sea with them for a short trip from port visit to home port. Rest assured, if that opportunity exists, your careers adviser will be in touch, well in advance of the visit.

It's good to visit a ship as a member of the general public - in years to come, you'll be one of the ship staff called-upon to help with SOTV and will appreciate how much it means to foster good public relations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for reply Silverfox and NinjaStoker, thought I would ask anyway. I know last time we went over to see Lusty the queues were too long. Probably would have had to feed him twice by the time we reached the front. Think we'll just view from afar and hope the weather is good for the weekend. :)

5. Ninja_Stoker

It is a phenomena that appears to have grown in popularity over the years - I remember SOTV's in years gone by when the ships closed the gangway early because there was complete indifference by the public with only a handful of visitors and the phrase "waste of time" applied.

Nowadays with far fewer ships, less SOTV's and an increase in public support for our Armed Forces, they seem to be an increasingly popular weekend activity, more popular than even visits to garden centres & the "Church of B&Q" (may their name be praised).

The only advice I can offer is get there very early and it's a lot quicker than rocking-up after the gangway has opened.

Best o'luck.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

As it's in Liverpool do you have a sister or aunty etc that could trap a matelot down Mathew St the night before and then use this a bargaining chip to blag your way on board?

7. We have comps to all ships docked!!! Period....just buy a pint and ..... Collect them from Ma Egertons

8. Bulwark isn't open to the public SOTV as the link suggests however it will be giving tours to various groups like the sea cadets etc. So those wishing to go on board a ship unless you are part of the groups make sure you queue in good time to get on one of the other vessels that are conducting SOTV.

Bulwark ships company will be participating in various public event, such as the parades and church services.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Feel sorry for the Bulwark at Alexandra docks what a dump....not a plum draw, and Edinburgh at Lairds, bit out of the way...all the others have a plum draw at Canning etc and CLT for the lads to walk into town, and stagger back:grin:

10. I am not worried being there it cuts down the amount of tours and any SOTV being there :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. image.jpg Tommo has arrived in the Pool:wave:

12. image.jpg In Canning docks next to the pub lol

13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I hated visiting Liverpool in Albion or Bulwark. Always got me home to Manchester.

14. Ninja_Stoker

I always found a home port (or close to home) visit was a bit like being watch on, stop on. When you're duty you get clobbered for SOTV, when you're not, all your friends and family want a guided tour and marvel at how generous matelots are when it comes to buying guests a beer onboard, little realising everyone reciprocates the hospitality, it's pretty much Naval Law.

For those visiting the static displays tomorrow, I'll be pretending I know all about military aircraft arrayed in front of the 'Three Graces', signing autographs ("Oh yes, I'm a pilot, me") and snaring the unwitting recruit. Do say hello/helo.

15. :neutral:be better if you got Jay O' Donnell. QGM to do a sub for you!!!! Proper hero:angel8:This includes helicopters, a Sea Harrier cockpit display, a combat display team, a Typhoon, a Chinook, climbing walls, a combat chef cooking demonstration and much, much more.;-P

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  16. Ninja_Stoker

I'd be delighted with a sub. The last bloke with a QGM I met was a Killick Diver who was rejoining the mob and we had a dit swapping session in lieu of an interview.

17. image.jpg Swordfish over the Pool:angel8:

• Like Like x 1