Linguists in the navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mikestaba, Dec 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I am a 21yo student studying Philosophy and French at university. I am currently living and studying in Brussels as part of the ERASMUS scheme. I don't quite know what I want to do with my degree just yet and given the current economic climate there doesn't seem to be much out there on offer to new graduates. I was wandering if there are any opportunities within the navy which allow me to apply my language skills in French and possibly work as an interpreter or Attache. I would quite like to learn Russian and Spanish too. Could anyone recommend any job roles?

Thanks in advance

p.s this is my first post and wasn't sure which forum was for general questions so i just picked this one.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. Or you can volunteer for Afg language training, but I suspect by the time you get in, we'll be out of Afg. Apart from that the RN doesn't really value language training. All we do is stick a scouser on an external circuit and tell him to talk quickly - it shuts everyone else up quick smart.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Or a PWO with the opening gambit "Sitrep".......
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Once CT training is complete and on obtaining the required grade on taking an MLAT you are eligible (if selected) for language training (languages are now adquals). Depending on your grade the languages currently being taught to CT's include Russian, Spanish, Farsi, Urdu and Pashto. Ratings can be taught to linguist level or indeed interpreter, some languages also attract additional language pay.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Attache work is later in career - usually as a 'thanks for having a fairly shite career, don't let the door slam on your arse as you leave' post...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jesus I remember them from my big ship days, ******* boring twats!
  8. Thanks for all the info, quick replies and links. Really didn't expect a response this soon. It's good to see there are opportunities for aspiring linguists in the Navy then. I noticed as a CT you start as an able rate, but are there any similar positions which start you off as an officer? As a graduate, that's more towards where I'm heading. Nevertheless, CT does look appealing.
  9. You'll have to learn English first.
  10. I was a cunning linguist when in the RN..............
    • Like Like x 1
  11. He was probably lonely as a cloud.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Outstanding wings.
  13. Nope, pretty much nothing for Officers as a core role. You can learn a language, but we won't be using it.