lindt rollers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by muffinator2002, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. where can i get those lindt rollers for defluffing on civvy street. they sell them in the Naffi at Raleigh but half the time there sold out. just want some for when i return after leave thats all. those things could be handy to have on the kit list for new entrants
  2. If you mean lint, not chocolate, what's wrong with using sellotape?
  3. its bad enough feeling like a little boy in a chinese sweat shop in those laundry rooms sweating my balls off in overalls, but having to wrap my hands in tape as well as ironing and folding my clothes to A4 size is just going to add insult to injury really, hense why i want a roller :)
  4. I found tape was a whole lot better than the rollers. Your hands can get into all the places a roller can't. Brown parcel tape was a winner for me. But if a quite large laundry room is cramping your style then what is a ship going to do for you?
  5. its not the conditions i was talking about i can handle a hell of alot more than that. i'll take up your advice and give tape a go used to use it on my green beret works fine its just easier to have a roller to hand which brings my point back to the top of tha talking point of "does anyone know where i can get my hands on one in civvy street"

thanks for all advice so far
  6. An oppo of mine got one in H&M, another got one from Matalan, however, thick brown tape is usually "stickier" and far more effective.
  7. ahh cheers shipmate, got a matalan not far away from me but i will take tape aswell now
  8. What I did with my cadet number ones, was roll it down with the lint roller, and then my buddy would pick out the stuff that was left with the tape. (Buddy-buddy system!)
  9. Tescos in the household goods department, they sell them in three or four packs I think.
    Though I ditched mine for the "one way" brushes (for lack of a better term) you can get as I found em a bit more versatile.
  10. Do sprogs not get issued with a "Brush, Clothes 1 in No" anymore then??
    geoff(ers) :nemo:
  11. Seems not Geoff....and they only FOLD their kit to one size A4 for kit musters.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nope, you have to buy your own clothes brush nowadays. We're using the vast savings we're making on clothes brushes and passports to buy an aircraft carrier allegedly.

The irony of it all is that Raleigh now has lockers the same size as those fitted on the new Type 45 destroyers and they are as big as your average domestic wardrobe at home.

All very good until you then get drafted onto a Type 42 destroyer or Type 23 frigate & have to squeeze your worldly possessions into less a space than a cubic metre.
  13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I didn't get one either and I joined up 11 years ago!

You can buy them in any Johnson's dry cleaners but they charge OTT for them.

Alternatively, try somewhere like Debenhams or a sewing shop.
  14. I liked the NAAFI ones better than anything I ever took with me to Raleigh. Sellotape's a good, cheap option though. Those NAAFI ones stick to anything, I bet you could throw it on the ceiling and it'd stick.

Raleigh lockers are huuuge! My locker onboard is tiny and I'm on a carrier! I can barely get my things in and I've only got one set of civvies :(
  15. next you'll be saying they don't issue money belts anymore.....pmsl :cry:
  16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I presume that your bunk space is included in the measurements, Skimmers and their floating hotels> :dwarf:
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Sadly not, you don't get your pay on your proffered cap whilst shouting your ships' book number either.

We have nice big shiny computers to cock-up your pay automatically.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

In the General Service world it is considered "bad form" to share one's four-poster bunk with another matelot, my good chap. They get in the way of your XBox/PS3/Wii & plasma screen DVD player/Laptop.
  19. I was paid cash in hand, or on my cap in 84. But no sooner had i uttered the last letter of my official number, the PO was stood there demanding money for the tailor, the laundry of the sheets and the end of course run ashore.
    By the time I left him i was broke again for the next 2 weeks
  20. Not really true although the lockers are large i woudnt say there any where enar as large as a wardrobe.
    And its far easier to get all your gear in a type 23 locker. A it dosent have to be set out in a perfect order and look nice.
    To be honest i think i personally strugled to fill my locked on a 23 i kept expecting dr who to be inside it to be honest.
    Although on a 45 when you dont have to have everything laid out perfectly you just wont be able to fill the locker.