Like Dealing With Martians

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Bergen, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

"................... the British chief of staff in Iraq, Colonel J.K.Tanner, described his US military counterparts as “a group of Martians†for whom “dialogue is alien,†saying: “Despite our so-called ‘special relationship,’ I reckon we were treated no differently to the Portuguese.â€

:director: .................ELMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Unfortunately none of that surprises me in the least
  3. I found the junior officers to be quite user friendly, but the higher they get the more remote/out of touch they appear to be.
  4. Awesome pics you sent. Say I never knew you had mountains in the UK

Say I have a friend in London named Doctor Jones do you know him.

Just a couple from different people Stateside

Wrapped up in there own little world.
  5. Seconded.
  6. Reminds me of a couple of Yanks telling me they were going to visit the UK.
    One said that they would drive over to France.
    How you getting there, by Ferry or Eurotunnel I asked.
    Neither he said, we are driving.
    Commence long conversation about the English Channel. DOH!
  7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

The USA has 'special relationships' with any country that can be of use to them. They are interested only in what suits them. If you do as you are told you stay 'friends'. If you differ in opinions you will be dropped like a hot coal. The USA is only interested in the USA, no-one else. They have a very high opinion of themselves, but remain so gullible and naive. They never have learnt the lesson of Viet Nam.
  8. Well done Gran you are so right.
    You are friends with the U.S. as long as you tow the line, step away from that line and boy oh boy do you know about it.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As a relatively young nation, they are just going through their "adolescent years", as we did several centuries ago... :oops:
  10. "What side of the Thames is Tower bridge on"??

"Excuse me sir who is that statue of"

"Richard the first. He was the King as potrayed by Sean Connery"!!

Wow........doesn't look much like Sean Connery to me"!!!

11. Nak Nak Nak :roll: :wink:
  12. Oh there are more but i can't think of any just now!!! :wink:
  13. sgtpepperband

I did a summer job in a tourist information booth in London as a teenager, and I was approached by a couple of rather rotund Septics. As they collected a few free leaflets for the attractions, I introduced myself by asking why there were visiting the UK.

"Oh, we're here to trace our ancestors!", replies Billy-Bob.

"Oh, I see," I say. "Well I'm sorry to have to tell you this... but they died centuries ago!"

No sense of humour, these damned Colonials... :thumbleft:
  14. sgtpepperband

As I was brought up in Sarf Laadun, you could say I know the place fairly well. I used to take the tube around the West End and stand by the doors - too congested to sit down.

Anyway, I am usually a public-spirited individual but if I was having a bad day, I used to love giving out duff information...

"Excuse me, Sir...", asks Mr. Fudd. "Does this subway go to Laysester Square?"

"Of course it does, mate. Jump on!"

I wish I had remained on board to see his face as the District Line tube would terminate at Upminster, but I doubt I would have been able to keep a straight face... :twisted:
  15. In regards to the 'Special relationship' I love the scene in Love Actually where Hugh Grant as prime minister puts the USA president in the Rembrant.

Best bit in the movie(apart from the sex scenes)

Classic! :lol:
  16. sgtpepperband

Press Conference Reporter: Mr. President, has it been a good visit?
    The President: Very satisfactory indeed. We got what we came for, and our special relationship is still very special.
    Press Conference Reporter: Prime Minister?
    Prime Minister: I love that word "relationship." Covers all manner of sins, doesn't it? I fear that this has become a bad relationship; a relationship based on the President taking exactly what he wants and casually ignoring all those things that really matter to, erm... Britain. We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that. And a friend who bullies us is no longer a friend. And since bullies only respond to strength, from now onward I will be prepared to be much stronger. And the President should be prepared for that.

"Love Actually" Prime Minister speech

17. York is catching up fast Sarge, I could not start to relate some ov the peeps up ere I would wet mesen ....again.
  18. Reported on a guided tour of York, coming up to the city walls:

Yank on tour "So, are these walls pre-war?"

Narked tour guide "Madam, these are pre-America"

It's all perspective really. One great truism is that to an American, a hundred years is a long time; to a European, a hundred miles is a long way.
  19. 8) again.

20. Which means..."If we cant win a war then we make sure our friends dont either".