Lights out for the Lion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Dunc0936, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This Months Navy News reports that both HMS Fearless and HMS Intrepid are to be Scrapped. the article says "Despite ambitious plans to turn the 'mighty lion' in to a floating hotel/hostel and a museum to the 1982 conflict in which she played a pivotal role, the only serious proposition was, sadly, the srapyard.

Whitehall announced earlier this year the intrepid would be broken up now the Disposal Services Authority has agreed that Belgian firm Van Heyghen Recycling can pull both apart

Both ships are currently awaiting their fate in Portsmouth Harbour where they have been moored for serval years.......

Shame really, does anyone know who I could contact for a visit to take some photo's before they are srapped or would it be the Disposal Services Authority ?????

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The animal liberation front will probably stage a demo to save the cockroaches.
  3. Try OIC DRSO on PNB 23270
  4. sorry mate? me no understand the above lol

Regards Duncan
  5. MOD edit
  6. What relevance has this to do with the topic? It's a real shame that one of them could not be saved from the breakers yard.
  7. Ready made Prison ships, I would have thought. A bit more concrete below the waterline would work wonders.
  8. I agree, there is a site for trying to save HMS invincible already, surely the tax payer would not object to giving one to a museum, lets face it as tax payers we paid for them in the first place

So its either going to be the MOD or some one at the naval base to write to???

9. I'm sure that the taxpayer would have no objection. However the real cost is the upkeep of these vessels. Who pays for that?
  10. You'd probably find that in principle people will get all sentimental over them but when it comes to the crunch how many nurses/ hospitals/ schools/ immigrant execution centres etc would he money pay for.

Experience from the other museum ship, can't recall the name, is that joe public isn't prepared to put the money up himself either.

The telephone number above is a Portsmouth Naval Base (PNB) extension.
  11. ok Karma, thanks for that, you work at the base???

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Although I'd love to see one donated to a museum they will probably be sold for a pittance because it'll cost a fortune to dispose of all that oil, sludge, asbestos and other nasties lurking in them.
  13. Not for a while :)
  14. ok sounds like a long winded letter to the mod then
  15. The accomodation might be good enough for matelots but wouldn't meet the high standards required by criminals.
  16. MOD Edit
  17. I think the cost of sorting her out regards oil etc, could be done at a later date and over a period of time, the main thing would be to save her, but alas i feel it might be to late for that, there does not seem to be much in that way of thinking in this country, especially in the armed forces, we either sink them, sell them off to other countries or srap them, rarely and only after a lot of fighting are they saved, HMS Belfast being an example

18. uncle Tom what do you mean by

MOD edit???
  19. I'm guessing that he's written his usual load of bollocks and drivel and the moderator has seen fit to remove it.
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe Dunc0936 and UncleTom are two parts of the same personality [sic] and - as no-one is talking to him - he now resorts to having conversations with himself... :wink: