"Lightning II" Makes Maiden Flight

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The next generation of UK carrier based fixed wing aircraft, the F35B, made it's maiden flight yesterday.
  2. I bet the pirate signed it back in with "needs adjustment, something somewhere loose....."
  3. It can't be that stealthy; I can see it quite clearly in the photo. Good to read it was piloted by a Brit though.
  4. Shit hot, where's the carrier to go with it ? Oh, did someone forget that part of the equation ? Silly, silly MoD. Doh................
  5. MoD haven't even decided wether to go with Dave B or Dave C yet…
  6. Eh? I though they were all over the B version?
    I would rather they went for the C, but then I have some common sense.
  7. You won't have a Carrier, as you will be sharing with the froggggggies

8. RAF is interested in the F-35C as a follow on to the GR4's
  9. Isnt that what the Eurofighter is for?
  10. I was talking to a crab and he said that the Eurofighter was designed to be an aircraft against the MIG's as we didn't have anything that could match them for Agility and Speed. Don't know how true that is though.
  11. Well its true the Typhoon is a great A2A platform, but its also good in the ground attack roll, so its replaced the G4.

Or thats how I understood it.
  12. No. GR4 programme is mod-ing 140-odd airframes for deep strike out to 2020 or so. Typhoo is replacing F3 and the Jag.

Magic Mushroom will heve the definitive steer.
  13. The Eurofighter was built to meet a requirement dating back to the Cold War days and really is outdated in that it's designed to meet a threat that is arguably no longer there.
  14. Apparently the F35B, a stealth fighter-bomber, made a conventional take-off and landing, and climbed to 15,000 feet (4,572 metres) for a series of handling, engine and other systems checks. It landed successfully after 46 minutes in the air.Air Commodore Mark Green, MOD Joint Combat Aircraft team leader, said:"This is a great achievement by Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems, Pratt and Whitney and Rolls Royce - they should be congratulated for their endeavours. "

Forgive me for being old fashioned but why should anyone be congratulated? The truth of the matter is this aircraft is overweight but more importantly cannot take off or land vertically. Pratt and Whitney are now required to completely redesign the engine as the present one is incapable of powering the Rolls Royce lift fan without failure.

Have a nice day Woos

16. Typhoon has short legs and is not stealthy.

RAF is looking at the F-35C for it's long range, first day of the war strike capability.