Lifeboat drill kills five crew.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MerchantJonny, Feb 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ************************

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. What a load of bollocks from "Nautilas International"! Where is their evidence? Surely some press snoop or Seaman's union rep would have blown the whistle by now if the casualty rate was high. Oh, I forgot, Costa Concordia and the hysterical woman.

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No whistle blowing required. Ask the MAIB, MCA and their overseas equivalents and the Classification Societies who investigate and regulate the world's commercial shipping. Lifeboats feature in lots of death and injury incidents during testing whether due to design, maintenance or operational factors.

Those going to be examined for a civilian officers' certificate of competency, expect to be grilled on lifeboats, especially now.

4. Obviously not had the pleasure in being winched up the side of a DLG in a force 8 in the North sea sitting in a whaler!

5. Seadog

Onions, It is telling that you think death and mayhem could remain hidden and require whistle blowers. Shipping is one if the most regulated industries in the world. An outfit that would cover such events up is not likely to worry about a little matter like lifeboat drills/ maintenance unless a Port, Flag or Class surveyor is breathing down their neck. Oily water separator malarky does require whistleblowers but any deaths attributable are feathered or scaled.

There are two other current incidents involving very large civvy ships that have so far, passed some members by.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Winched up the side, try clear lower deck to heave the seaboat up the side. daring class 60's, bloody dangerous!!

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Balls in hand, chance of a life time. Brocklesby, Portland circa 1960

8. wal

wal Badgeman

Carysfort circa mid late 60's and Dundas / Hardy early 70's.

You can't beat 'handraulics'.

9. Seadog

All this lamp-swinging is not informing the thread. No death or injuries, no lessons identified.

Some nasty injuries in an incident involving one of RFA Fort Victoria's lifeboats, 10 September 2004. Full MAIB report is on their site.

10. Care to share, I can't remember anything in the news apart from Norvirus.

11. So we have now gone from "British" incident to a world wide scenario. But again I ask where is the physical evidence about "more lives are lost than are saved by lifeboats". If the death rate is so high why are ships still allowed to sail the oceans Blue?
    The cause of this accident seems to point to one of the boats falls parting.

12. Seadog

Onions, I can tell that you know little if anything about commercial shipping, its regulation, its global nature. This incident looks like : Maltese ship, Spanish jurisdiction.

It does indeed look as if a fall has parted on the lifeboat davit but the cause of the 'accident' will have begun several slices of cheese further removed from the tragic consequences.

The most seaworthy and well run ships in the world can be lost due to one bloke's deliberate neglect, oversight or uncharacteristic rush of shit to the brains.

Shit ships are detained when they come to the attention of Flag/Port State. The rest sail the ocean blue. It isn't a difficult concept.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seadog

Ask Nautilus, ask the IMO. Although I doubt that statistics will satisfy your requirement for "physical evidence"

Not many passengers and crew take to the lifeboats and abandoning to inflatable life rafts won't make the 'saved by lifeboat' statistics. Also, question the level at which keeping ones feet dry while waiting for nearby rescue becomes saving ones life.

Death due to lifeboats during drills will nearly always make the appropriate statistics.

14. 2010 and sister ship Fort George decided to test one of her life boats resulting in the hull having a meter long crack in it. Nothing done as she was to be decommissioned in 6 month. Good job we didn't need it!...

15. Seadog

Crack in hull; lifeboat or Fort George?

Further to my last and lives saved by lifeboats, I'd argue and officialdom may agree that if passengers and crew abandon a ship to lifeboats and the mother ship remains tenable at the time rescue arrives, the lifeboats have not saved lives.

That is not to criticise a Captain for ordering 'abandon ship' when it subsequently proved unnecessary.

16. Seadog

Emma Maersk; serious flooding caused it seems by thruster failure, remained afloat, no casualties.

Carnival Triumph, engine room fire, extinguished, reduced or no propulsion power, fat yank passengers fighting over diminishing scran supplies (according to some reports of 'nightmare cruise' ). Otherwise no casualties.

Given the amount of ships and passengers at sea, ships are still safer than swimming. And for such a small outfit, the Royal Navy are punching above their weight when it comes to collisions and rising damp.

17. The lifeboat

Sent from my iPhone using The Force