Life within

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by swalke40, Oct 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay guys this is a weird question but its something thats on my mind. I am joining the RN as an ATCO on 25th o feb, i leeve for BRNC. I'm gay, and im not to open about it and im certainly not obvious about it but is it something that is looked down upon or is it something that will affect my life within.

2. oooh jesus.

Well, you're going to get a taste for the attitudes you are going to encounter in the service by posting this. Some neutral, some positive, and some, well, I'm sure you've seen some of the threads on here......lets just say its quite the divisive issue.

Since you are joining BRNC I am assuming you will be commissioned as an ATCO, so you wont have the problems that a rating would, but you will also not have the protection one would either. The Wardrobe culture depends on the attitude of its officers, so you may find if you go frontline you might encounter some individuals from the old school, think public school bullies/rugger buggers who make up for personal insecurities by being loud obnoxious bores. But if you do trade training at crab bases most of the younger people you work with wont have a problem with it, no more than civvies anyway.

I think the usual rules apply, have a thick skin and pack the sense of humour. I guess as you're not open/obvious it would only be an issue when it comes to bringing guests to cock n arse parties (which are not as much fun as you might first think).

Good luck with it. You great big woofter.
    [​IMG]

3. Swalk
    Your GAY big deal!!!
    Wrong Branch--- be a Bootie
    or Submariner.

or a combination of all the above, They need you!!!!!

4. I think alot of gay guys think the navy is going to have childishness relating to your sexuality ... you need to remember all navy people have been accepted for entry via a interview & exam (ie people with their heads screwed on) .. it kinda weeds out the deadbeats and chavs so it aint like school or college which anyone can attend.

5. OI !!!

I'm joining as a Submariner and I prefer our female counterparts thank you very much.

:threaten:

6. Im joining the surface fleet and im worried about not being in the company of females for a long time at sea :(:(

7. You know what they say about Boats Credders.....long, black and full of seamen!!......gotta go somewhere!??!! :biggrin:

8. Pull yourself together man!.....just ask yer Mom to get you a nice dress for when you return from deployment!!... :evil4:

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, so why are you joining something 'long, black and full of se(a)men'? You don't get Wrens on sub-surface tin cans... 8O :lol:

10. The Scottish lasses when not on tour will make up for it lads.

Have heard they are very nice.

Not as though you're allowed to do ought with ladies you work with anyway even if the Submarines were a boob-fest.

11. Well just like civvy street you will get both positive and negative attitudes (most I guess will be ambivalent as long as you don't go forcing the issue). The big difference will be the p1ss taking, you do get it in civvy street but matelots do it with more zeal and alacrity :lol:

12. Some do however, get through the net!!!

13. I was on the Newcastle when the first Gay in the Navy came out nationally and it was in the Papers.

The lads on board treated him with the up most respect. Suddenly the powers above thought it be better to have shower curtains put up in the cubicles because of having a gay on board. Even though he's been on board for 2 years already.

He was treated no different to anyone else. But he soon fucked people off when he claimed he was being treated badly for being gay just so he could be taken off the ship before we went on our 9 month deployment. He didn't want to go.

No one treated him badly.

Like some have said already you will get positive and you will get negative and those who just don't give a ****. As long as you have a sense of humour you'll be fine. You'll always have someone say something a little bit un pc As long is it banter give the same back.

Don't be afraid of being who you are. Enjoy your time in the mob.

14. With most people it won't be an issue unless you make it an issue. As an ATCO you'll be shoreside most of the time anyway although there are exchange opportunities with the other services. The only ATCO jobs afloat are in each of the capital ships; CVS, LPD, LPH.

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think you may have a few suprises coming :dwarf:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Here we go:

THE ARMED FORCES CODE OF SOCIAL CONDUCT
    POLICY STATEMENT

1. This Code of Social Conduct explains the Armed Forces’ policy of personal relationships involving Service personnel. It applies to all members of the Armed Forces regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, rank, or status. The provisions apply equally to members of the Regular and the Reserve Forces.

2. In the area of personal relationships, the overriding operational imperative to sustain team cohesion and to maintain trust and loyalty between commanders and those they command imposes a need for standards of social behaviour which are more demanding than those required by society at large. Such demands are equally necessary during peacetime and on operations. Examples of behaviour which can undermine such trust and cohesion, and therefore damage the morale or discipline of a unit (and hence its operational effectiveness) include: unwelcome sexual attention in the form of physical or verbal conduct; over-familiarity with the spouses or partners of other Service personnel; displays of affection which might cause offence to others; behaviour which damages or hazards the marriage or personal relationships of Service personnel or civilian colleagues within the wider defence community; and taking sexual advantage of subordinates. It is important to acknowledge in the tightly knit military community a need for mutual respect and a requirement to avoid conduct which offends others. Each case will be judged on its merits.

3. It is not practicable to list every type of conduct that may constitute social misbehaviour. The seriousness with which misconduct will be regarded will depend on the individual circumstances and the potential for adversely affecting operational effectiveness. Nevertheless, misconduct involving abuse of position, trust, or rank, or taking advantage of an individual’s separation, will be viewed as being particularly serious.

4. Unacceptable social conduct requires prompt and positive action to prevent damage. Timely advice and informal action can often prevent a situation developing to the point where it could impair the effectiveness of a Service unit. However, if the misconduct is particularly serious, it may be appropriate to proceed directly to formal administrative or to disciplinary action. Such action is always to be proportionate to the seriousness of the misconduct. It may constitute a formal warning, official censure, the posting of one or more of the parties involved or disciplinary action. In particularly serious cases, or where an individual persists with, or has a history of acts of social misconduct, formal disciplinary or administrative action may be taken, which might lead to termination of service.

5. The Service Test. When considering possible cases of social misconduct, and in determining whether the Service has a duty to intervene in the personal lives of its personnel, Commanding Officers at every level will consider each case against the following Service Test:

“Have the actions or behaviour of an individual adversely impacted or are likely to impact on the efficiency or operational effectiveness of the Service?â€

In assessing whether to take action, Commanding Officers will consider a series of key criteria. This will establish the seriousness of the misconduct and its impact on operational effectiveness and thus the appropriate and proportionate level of sanction.

PRINCIPLES

1. Sexual orientation is regarded as a private matter for the individual.

2. Knowledge of an individual’s sexual orientation is not a basis for discrimination.

3. Incidents which involve the possible commission of civil or military offences, or which come to a Commanding Officer’s attention through a formal complaint, will be investigated and dealt with in accordance with Service disciplinary or administrative procedures.

4. The Service Test contained in the Code of Social Conduct will be applied when there is any doubt about the impact on operational effectiveness of any particular incident.

5. The Armed Forces value the unique contribution which every individual makes to operational effectiveness, regardless of their sexual orientation.

6. The Armed Forces respect the right to individual privacy of every Serviceman and woman and will only intervene in the private lives of individuals where it is necessary in the interests of preserving operational effectiveness.

7. The new policy makes no moral judgements about an individual’s sexual orientation.

8. There is no place in the Armed Forces for harassment, bullying or victimisation.

9. Commanders have a duty of care towards all those under their command.

17. Wow that's like a text book answer lol

18. That's because it is.....dummy!! :w00t:

19. Itl be kept quiet then i guess. thanks

20. Keep your head down and just focus on training, no one needs to know your sexual preference. I found that those who were part of the team, kept quiet and didn't make it obv to the eye they were gay, seemed to earn the up most respect and it never caused an issue onboard ship.

Just don't go in shouting your mouth off (which by the sounds of it you won't) and you'll be ok. It's not just a sexual thing, those who arn't 'in your face', seem to get the most respect and carry on as normal. No need to worry at all hun.

Good luck xx