Life On Board a Nuclear Submarine - Females to join the 'Silent Service'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Naval_Families_Federation, Mar 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the Royal Navy prepares for women to join the Submarine Service, a reporter from the Sunday Mirror had the opportunity to see what life is like for the crew under the waves. The reporter joined the 160-strong male crew on the nuclear submarine HMS Victorious, where she experienced the unique nature of the ‘Silent Service’: What it's like to live on nuclear submarine HMS Victorious - Mirror Online

Do you have a comment on the decision to allow women into the Submarine Service? The NFF is keen to hear your feedback.
  2. It was always going to happen, doesn't worry me but I'm outside now.
  3. Same as when women went to sea on surface ships in 1990, they'll be those against it but ultimately there's not a whole lot they can do! No doubt submariners wives will kick up a stink too.
  4. Seems like a very reasonable article, but knowing a bit about how Jack's mind works, I suspect that the three most popular words bandied about during her period on board would have been "Well I would!"

• Like Like x 1
  5. If women are joining the "silent service" it won't be silent for much longer!!!!

Now, where did I leave my coat?
  6. If the bombers are big enough to have music festivals in the mess, then they're
    big enough for fitted wardrobes, shoe-racks, pink bedrooms and a load of those
    Argos Order query terminals to be fitted throughout the boat, permanently linked
    into the UK Argos network. I shudder to think who is going to unblock the heads
    when they get all gummed up though (or suffer a Part III blow-back error).
    Good luck to all females who volunteer and I hope they do the job well.

HMS Vigilant hosts folk concert | Just Plymouth

Just as well the boats don't look like THIS anymore. "No touching" rule?
    F**king forget it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. Ah...the ford mess of the mighty Walrus...those were happy days! We used to put certain items of feminine underwear on the deep frame...guess that's another tradition that'll fall by the wayside...
  8. Bit messy when the painters are in but yes, I would too.
  9. Don't be so sure- us skimmers still do it with wrens onboard.
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I would think they do. That's what sun dodgers find attractive about them in the first place. Everyone loves a bit of musk.
  11. Hopefull the first lad to **** one whilst submerged will post on here, phots too!
  12. With her head in the tumble drier wearing an EBS Mask. Well Ive seen it along side.
  13. Bomb shop
    US guest
    Photos taken
    Photos developed
    Photos looked at
    Photos swiftly destroyed - to protect the, erm, guilty members - pun intended........!
  14. Yeah it was always going to happen no matter how many people disagreed with the decision.
  15. Women have no business being on warships - full stop.
  16. Bollocks. ....................
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Do explain why you hold this view. Fact is, I know a woman who found out today she had a place at Dartmouth, and I want you to explain why you think she, or any other woman in the RN or wanting to join, has no business being there.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  18. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Methinks we have a Troll-Meister in our midst.

Or he'd like to think he is anyway.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. Knob!

They've been there over 20 years and from what I've seen of them have done a great job too. Additionally the first female in the not too distant future will be the CO of a Frigate.
    BBC News - Royal Navy appoints first female warship commander
  20. Trolls love their job. People bite all the time!