Life on board a british Submarine

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Chicogiz, Nov 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is life actully like on board a submarine because im haveing a big think over me going into subs or ships.

2. Whatever happened to life being an adventure?
    Toss a coin, live your life ;)

3. For starters call them Boats not Subs !!

Also need to brush up on your spelling otherwise no one will understand your answers when you do your task book for your Part Three !!

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

5. Chicogiz

Subs are Sub-Lieutenants, one of the low forms of life ;)

Boats on the other hand are vessels that can sink and come back up again at will. Submariners are the elite and God's Second Chosen people, after the KGs*

Civvies are lower than subs.... ooooo err, what am I saying. :twisted:

Steve.

KGs - Knights of the G-Spot - If you belong to both groups then you are, of course superhuman, like Nicks ;)

6. I am Honoured :thumright:

7. I didnt think 'Boats' actually Sank I was always under the impression they submersed in a controlled fashion? Obviously depending on the Diving trim that the XO has put on :)

8. I would suggest that if you have the self doubt as to whether you are good enough to be a submariner then the answer is obvious, you are not good enough. What is it lke, well the experience of working with and being part of an organisation that has the highest esprit de corps of the RN and is in all respects the elite is quite clearly second to none. You work with the best, you live with the best you play with the best, you are the best, need I say more.

9. Could not have put it better myself - concur, totally.

10. Thanks

11. It says it all when the captain presents you with your Dolphins along with the statement that 'You are now qualified and one of us and have my full backing. Behave as such. Congratulations....now get on with your panel board'.
    It never stops.......you are only as good as your last adqual!

12. Chico, I cannot comment on what life on a submarine is like, I enjoyed my time in the RN as a General Service rating, but as I have been out for 12 years, and the ships I served on are no longer under the White Ensign, I am no longer in a position to comment on what life is like on a Ship.

What I can comment on though from what is in the public domain is that the Submarine Service has a recruitment and retention problem. And (Ninja will you please confirm or refute the following) I believe that if you join as a GS rating you can transfer to Submariner, but joining as a submariner it is very unlikely that you will be allowed to go GS. If this is the case, and you have doubts about SM Service, it would make sense to join as GS then look at your options when you have a 1st hand experience of the RN.

Whatever choice you make, good luck.

Mik

13. Mikh, not exactly true. All submariners have the right to transfer to/back to General Service after 5 years submarine service. The fact that many do not exercise this option is perhaps indicative of the life led and described above by Maxi.

Chico, get down your local careers office, ask to speak to a Submariner and see if you cant get a trip to Devonport or Faslane for a tour around a boat and a chat with the guys. Only then can you make your mind up. Good luck

14. Cheers ditdah, I was not aware of that.

But 5 years is a long time for a lad of 16 if he has made an error, and although I am not knocking membership of the black pig society (at least not on this occasion) IMHO it makes more sense to join the GS and then consider transferring to SM.

15. Of course the extra dosh doesn't pay a part in it what so ever!

16. Mikh, you are absolutely correct. In an ideal world anyone joining the Submarine Service would have done some time in General Service for the reasons of learning how to live with people, discipline and to learn the trade for which they are being paid, attributes that make an individual useful as soon as they step onboard. Unfortunately, there are not many GS volunteers so the ideal is not possible, so guys get recruited at the careers office or in new entry training with tales of wonder and promises of gold (a modern form of press ganging I suppose!) I myself joined up in 76, was drafted, yes drafted, into boats in 80 and have been here ever since. You are correct in saying that there is a retention problem in boats, the reasons are long and various, and some branches are in a critical position. One of the answers to the problem being looked at could be to draft GS guys in just like they did all those years ago.

17. Same in my day ditdah, you joined the mob, and you were sent where they needed you, which is why I was surprised a while back to learn you could join as a sm rating. a good percentage of submariners I knew back when (and it was a fair few - 2 faslane drafts) were drafted, and with very few exceptions they were glad of it.

18. Mikh, you are absolutely correct. In an ideal world anyone joining the Submarine Service would have done some time in General Service for the reasons of learning how to live with people, discipline and to learn the trade for which they are being paid, attributes that make an individual useful as soon as they step onboard. Unfortunately, there are not many GS volunteers so the ideal is not possible, so guys get recruited at the careers office or in new entry training with tales of wonder and promises of gold (a modern form of press ganging I suppose!) I myself joined up in 76, was drafted, yes drafted, into boats in 80 and have been here ever since. You are correct in saying that there is a retention problem in boats, the reasons are long and various, and some branches are in a critical position. One of the answers to the problem being looked at could be to draft GS guys in just like they did all those years ago.

19. That is not true..................

If you joined as a submariner then you have no right to go general service.

It has been like that since some time in the 90's

only people who start as general service have a right to return :thumright: