Life of an AEO

SiswickS

Hi all, so I’m an OCdt on DTUS going into my second year at university and have recently been on an attachment to Portsmouth and got to have a poke around the air engineering school at Sultan and am wanting to know what the career of an AEO is actually like. For example how long you’d actually get to spend at sea as one etc. I choose which branch I go at the end of this year and was initially convinced MEO was the one but am now less sure.
Thanks in advance

slim

War Hero
As an engineering officer of any branch you will rarely get your hands dirty. The Chiefs are very reluctant to let you play with their toys cos you will probably break them more than they are already broken. You will be expected to make engineering decisions and if wise will listen to and learn from your subordinates. Engineering officer though is an excellent choice :)

Tex

Lantern Swinger
As an engineering officer of any branch you will rarely get your hands dirty. The Chiefs are very reluctant to let you play with their toys cos you will probably break them more than they are already broken. You will be expected to make engineering decisions and if wise will listen to and learn from your subordinates. Engineering officer though is an excellent choice :)
That applies or at least did to the Royal Navy ( and the other two) for all branches.
Much inane puerile rubbish was and no doubt is still is written by their seniors about their juniors they know little and care even less about.

Must dash off and get tarted- up -got a posh do in the mess tonight. Chief steward is making up a gallon or two of" Between the Sheets" leg openers.

Stirlin

War Hero
That applies or at least did to the Royal Navy ( and the other two) for all branches.
Much inane puerile rubbish was and no doubt is still is written by their seniors about their juniors they know little and care even less about.

Must dash off and get tarted- up -got a posh do in the mess tonight. Chief steward is making up a gallon or two of" Between the Sheets" leg openers.
My bold......as you claim to be an ex officer you are ranting about yourself.

Waspie

War Hero
Can't speak from an AEO's perspective but I have known a few.
Only one I can speak of with any form of respect is Lt I****. (Name is irrelevant). He was a half decent AEO and went pilot. Eventually ending up as a MTP Ministry Test Pilot at Boscombe Down. Great chap, great laugh.
Have known a few desk AEO's. Know everything about the theory but sod all about men!!!
Quote about an AEO from my killicks course. "Sir! I wouldn't follow you into the sh1t house never mind the valley of death". A leader of men he was not. He held a degree in aeronautical engineering though!!!!!

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
Can't speak from an AEO's perspective but I have known a few.
Only one I can speak of with any form of respect is Lt I****. (Name is irrelevant). He was a half decent AEO and went pilot. Eventually ending up as a MTP Ministry Test Pilot at Boscombe Down. Great chap, great laugh.
Have known a few desk AEO's. Know everything about the theory but sod all about men!!!
Quote about an AEO from my killicks course. "Sir! I wouldn't follow you into the sh1t house never mind the valley of death". A leader of men he was not. He held a degree in aeronautical engineering though!!!!!
"Ministry" or "Maintenance"?o_O

Jack

Waspie

War Hero
"Ministry" or "Maintenance"?o_O

Jack
Dunno - It's ben a long time!!! I know air stations had 'Maintenance' I was sure Boscombe was home to the Ministry Test Pilots!!!

Hey Ho a Googling I will go!!!!

OK, Mr Google has corrected me!! Empire Test Pilot School at Boscombe. Thats where the chap I know ended up. So Maintenance Test Pilot!!!!!

My Bad!!! Americanism out of the way for the night!!! or to put it my way - 'Wrong again'.

Stirlin

War Hero
Dunno - It's ben a long time!!! I know air stations had 'Maintenance' I was sure Boscombe was home to the Ministry Test Pilots!!!

Hey Ho a Googling I will go!!!!

OK, Mr Google has corrected me!! Empire Test Pilot School at Boscombe. Thats where the chap I know ended up. So Maintenance Test Pilot!!!!!

My Bad!!! Americanism out of the way for the night!!! or to put it my way - 'Wrong again'.

Yep , they think they can alter OUR language and call it English.....alooooominum for starters.
Loads more.
Round stale bread with a hole in the middle that is fook all use for making sarnies.......
Americanism ? = bagel.

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
Yep , they think they can alter OUR language and call it English.....alooooominum for starters.
Loads more.
Round stale bread with a hole in the middle that is fook all use for making sarnies.......
Americanism ? = bagel.
But think what fun the chefs could have making them....

Jack

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As an AEO you will be responsible for ensuring that all the current regulations for aviation are followed correctly, planning maintenance routines to ensure the correct number of cabs are available for the required flypro and up coming detachments.
Some tasks will need to be signed off or deferred by someone with a higher authorisation level than the watches, that is the AEOs task to decide if the level of risk is acceptable.

You will be responsible to the Sqdn CO for the maintenance of the aircraft and have to justify why he cannot have his toys to play with.

You will also be a Divisional Officer for engineers.

As an AEO you may also find yourself with no aircraft but responsible for the air engineering support at workshops or on board a carrier. The same regulations still apply to all work carried out.

AEO is a varied task but as mentioned above you will not be waving spanners at aircraft, you will be mostly using a pen and computer.